Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk/Sed - appending within file Post 302506746 by singerfc on Monday 21st of March 2011 09:10:01 PM
Old 03-21-2011
Yinyuemi,

That's it! It was printing to stout, so I added '> outputfile.txt' at the end, and I got a new file with the text appended correctly. Is there something I can do to append the results to the input file? I tried '>' to the input filename, but I lost most of the content.

Thanks again!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED Question -- on appending to a file

:confused: I have a script that Cats a flat database file which contains 12 columns into sed. I want to add a 13th column which includes " ,2005-08-29 " * The date needs to be the current date. This 13th column would be appended to the end of each line. Does anyone have a clue... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Redg
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending string to xml file using "sed"

Hi folks, Following a section in opmn.xml file: </process-type> <process-type id="OC4J_RiGHTv_IRD1" module-id="OC4J"> <environment> <variable id="LD_LIBRARY_PATH" value="/home/ias/v10.1.2/lib" append="true"/> <variable id="SHLIB_PATH"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending to sed output of one file into the middle of file

hi, i have a file file1 file2 ----------- ----------------- aa bbb ccc 111 1111 1111 ddd eee fff 222 3333 4444 ggg hhh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: go4desperado
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending and sed

Hello, I want to add string #REAL at the end of all lines that contain real numbers. How to do this using sed ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scotty_123
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED or AWK: Appending a line Identifier that changes with paragraph?

Have another question that has been eluding me all day. I have data file I'm trying to reformat so that each line is appended with an ID code, but the ID code needs to update as it searches through the file. I.e. ----Begin Original Datafile----- Condition = XXX Header Line 1 Header... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: selkirk
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending a file using sed in ksh

i am trying to append a 5 line SGML file(file1) with a 500,000 line SGML file (file2). file1 is a template, so i wish to preserve. i only want to add lines 5 to the end of file2. i have: cp file1 temp1 sed -n '5,$p' file2 >> temp1 when i check the tail of temp1, i consistantly find the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smac
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk;sed appending line to previous line....

I know this has been asked before but I just can't parse the syntax as explained. I have a set of files that has user information spread out over two lines that I wish to merge into one: User1NameLast User1NameFirst User1Address E-Mail:User1email User2NameLast User2NameFirst User2Address... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: walkerwheeler
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending string (charachters inside the line) to a fixed width file using awk or sed

Source File: abcdefghijklmnop01qrstuvwxyz abcdefghijklmnop02qrstuvwxyz abcdefghijklmnop03qrstuvwxyz abcdefghijklmnop04qrstuvwxyz abcdefghijklmnop05qrstuvwxyz Whatever characters are in 17-18 on each line of the file, it should be concatenated to the same line at the character number... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamahomekarasu
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending columns at the end of output using awk/sed

Hi , I have the below ouput, =====gopi===== assasassaa adsadsadsdsada asdsadsadasdsa sadasdsadsd =====kannan=== asdasdasd sadasddsaasd adasdd =====hbk=== asasasssa .... .. I want the output like as below, not able paste here correctly. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eeegopikannan
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading and appending a row from file1 to file2 using awk or sed

Hi, I wanted to add each row of file2.txt to entire length of file1.txt given the sample data below and save it as new file. Any idea how to efficiently do it. Thank you for any help. input file file1.txt file2.txt 140 30 200006 141 32 140 32 200006 142 33 140 35 200006 142... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
5 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)