Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting will child processes be created when executing "ps"? Post 302506603 by sleepy_11 on Monday 21st of March 2011 11:10:32 AM
Old 03-21-2011
Question will child processes be created when executing "ps"?

Hi

I'm trying to write some code to confirm there is only one running instance in memory like below:
Code:
/usr/ucb/ps  -auxww | egrep -v 'grep |vi |tail |more |cat ' | egrep ${SCRIPT_NAME} |  egrep -v " \-h| \-help| \-v"

But sometimes i found there is some child processes are are created as below:
Code:
 0     0 28796 27072  0   0 20 1456 1376          R pts/7     0:00 /usr/bin/ksh ./myprogram.ksh
 0     0 28829 28796  0   0 20 1448    ?          R pts/7     0:00 /usr/bin/ksh ./myprogram.ksh
 0     0 28831 28796  0   0 20 1448    ?          R pts/7     0:00 /usr/bin/ksh ./myprogram.ksh

pid28796 is the program i launched, and the lower two are forked as child processes. the number of child process is 2-4.

I definitely sure that there is no "fork" in my script, as such issue is there even if i only keep this command in it. And ptree can never show the detail about it

does anyone know why there are multiple instances?

thanks in adv.

Last edited by Scott; 03-21-2011 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: Code tags, please...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Programming

"No child processes" and waitpif

Hi everybody, i'm using a signal handler for the SIGCHLD signal. void InstallNewSigChldHandler() { struct sigaction act; struct sigaction oldAct; act.sa_handler = CallWaitChildProcess; sigemptyset(&act.sa_mask); act.sa_flags = SA_NOCLDSTOP; if... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zipi
5 Replies

3. AIX

Aix5.3 "freeze" when mounting newly created fs

Hello, When I tried to mount /appli21 with smit, the terminal "freezed" (ssh connection still active but always showing the same window, no new telnel or ssh connection allowed) and I had to have the machine restarted to be able to connect again. my volum group datavg: VOLUME GROUP: datavg... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: farmer
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kill child processes, when parent is "bash"

Consider this simple command line bash -c 'echo $$ ; sleep 10000'This will print the newly created bash PID and sleep for a long time. If I go to another terminal and do something like ps -flax | grep leepI'll see something like 501 92418 91910 0 0:00.00 ttys000 0:00.00 bash -c echo $$... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: teras
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. Solaris

I attempt to know. Why has been created the "local"directory?

Hello guys. It is common knowledge that the directory /usr/openwin/lib contains standart “locale” directory which contains fonts for difference international locales. But I have found in /usr/openwin/lib one more directory with name «local». It contains the same iso_8859_1 directory with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wolfgang
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" { send "sudo su -\r" }"

Hi All, i am trying to ssh to a remote machine and execute certain command to remote machine through script. i am able to ssh but after its getting hung at the promt and after pressing ctrl +d i am gettin the out put as expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" {... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddharth shivh
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
ptree(1)																  ptree(1)

NAME
ptree - print process trees SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/ptree [-a] [-c] [-z zone] [pid | user] ... ptree prints the process trees containing the specified pids or users, with child processes indented from their respective parent pro- cesses. An argument of all digits is taken to be a process-id, otherwise it is assumed to be a user login name. The default is all pro- cesses. The following options are supported: -a All. Print all processes, including children of process 0. -c Contracts. Print process contract memberships in addition to parent-child relationships. See process(4). This option implies the -a option. -z zone Zones. Print only processes in the specified zone. Each zone ID can be specified as either a zone name or a numerical zone ID. This option is only useful when executed in the global zone. The following operands are supported: pid Process-id or a list of process-ids. ptree also accepts /proc/nnn as a process-id, so the shell expansion /proc/* can be used to specify all processes in the system. user Username or list of usernames. Processes whose effective user IDs match those given are displayed. Example 1: Using ptree The following example prints the process tree (including children of process 0) for processes which match the command name ssh: $ ptree -a `pgrep ssh` 1 /sbin/init 100909 /usr/lib/ssh/sshd 569150 /usr/lib/ssh/sshd 569157 /usr/lib/ssh/sshd 569159 -ksh 569171 bash 569173 /bin/ksh 569193 bash The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful operation. non-zero An error has occurred. /proc/* process files See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |See below. | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ The human readable output is Unstable. The options are Evolving. gcore(1), ldd(1), pargs(1), pgrep(1), pkill(1), plimit(1), pmap(1), preap(1), proc(1), ps(1), ppgsz(1), pwd(1), rlogin(1), time(1), truss(1), wait(1), fcntl(2), fstat(2), setuid(2), dlopen(3C), signal.h(3HEAD), core(4), proc(4), process(4), attributes(5), zones(5) 11 Oct 2005 ptree(1)