Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX make a mksysb without root credentials Post 302506569 by islam.said on Monday 21st of March 2011 08:31:30 AM
Old 03-21-2011
make a mksysb without root credentials

dears,
good day.

i need to be able to take a mksysb for a machine running aix 6.1.5 without the root credentials and also without using sudo

any advice ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

cant make dir as root

not sure what the problem is, when I go to /home and enter command mkdir i get this error mkdir chris mkdir: Failed to make directory "chris"; Operation not applicable im root.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaunders
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to make root user read all

I want to know what i can set up so that root user can read everything. On my Solaris systems root can read the following directory. drwxrwx--- 408 icsrc icarc0 36864 Aug 21 07:24 dev drwxrwsr-x 7 icsrc icarc0 4096 Aug 4 1998 test But on my linux systems it gets: # cd dev bash: cd:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make program only run by root

Hi all, i hope i got this in the right place, what i am trying to do is make a program only run by root, ie for instance user fred is logged in and uses firefox, what id like to do is change that so that when fred wants to use firefox he will be asked to enter root password before he is allowed to... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave123
14 Replies

4. AIX

How can I authorize a non-root user to do a system backup with 'mksysb'?

I use AIX 5.2 I want to allow a non-root user to do a system backup with 'mksysb' command. I try to add 'ManageBackup' Role to that non-root user but it have an error "ksh: mksysb: 0403-006 Execute permission denied." What should I do? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIX122
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I need to make a constant variables to the root

Hello every body, I need to make a constant variable to the root such as #PS1="I am Amer" and so on. I know if i am a user,I can make it fixed from #vi .profile HOW to make it fixed for the root? Thanks in advance BR Ahmed Amer Cairo,Egypt (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedamer12
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Make another set of root(/), /boot, /home and other partitions?

Hello, As a purely learning purpose I am trying to make another set of partitions along my existing Ubuntu11.10 box. The reason to do this partition is to try a new Linux system by myself following "Linux From Scratch" (LFS). Because the instruction of LFS seems for very advanced user (I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
3 Replies

7. Cybersecurity

Root login in Linux - does it make sense?

I stumbled upon this thread and one aspect of it got me thinking. As i am building a small Linux network right now for a friend i would like to hear your opinion on this. I'd like to respectfully disagree. I think the Linux habit of disabling root login per default is wrong (not entirely... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to add root element and remove to make it good

Hi All, I have a situation to parse a file with following limitations: 2) The XML is not proper as it has no fix root tag rather have multiple XML in a single XML. or you can say multiple root elements. This file will be huge in size. So before i think of some good solution to parse it, i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: peekuabc
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Make a subdirectory the root directory

I have a series of configuration files to deliver to multiple unix environments (dev, test, bench, prod etc). However I don't to modify them for each environment. The files are text which currently contain this type of directory information IN=/DVT/ms/sas/reception/PIL_QPA_SID/GSPIN001... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: clarcombe
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending crontab using ssh and sudo without root credentials

Hi, i have two servers say server A and server B. i have a sudo user say user1 with full privilges on server A and B. i am trying to append the crontab entry of root from server A of server B with the following command. But its appending on A. i need to append it on server B. please find the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkitesh
4 Replies
PAM_SETCRED(3)							 Linux-PAM Manual						    PAM_SETCRED(3)

NAME
pam_setcred - establish / delete user credentials SYNOPSIS
#include <security/pam_appl.h> int pam_setcred(pam_handle_t *pamh, int flags); DESCRIPTION
The pam_setcred function is used to establish, maintain and delete the credentials of a user. It should be called to set the credentials after a user has been authenticated and before a session is opened for the user (with pam_open_session(3)). The credentials should be deleted after the session has been closed (with pam_close_session(3)). A credential is something that the user possesses. It is some property, such as a Kerberos ticket, or a supplementary group membership that make up the uniqueness of a given user. On a Linux system the user's UID and GID's are credentials too. However, it has been decided that these properties (along with the default supplementary groups of which the user is a member) are credentials that should be set directly by the application and not by PAM. Such credentials should be established, by the application, prior to a call to this function. For example, initgroups(2) (or equivalent) should have been performed. Valid flags, any one of which, may be logically OR'd with PAM_SILENT, are: PAM_ESTABLISH_CRED Initialize the credentials for the user. PAM_DELETE_CRED Delete the user's credentials. PAM_REINITIALIZE_CRED Fully reinitialize the user's credentials. PAM_REFRESH_CRED Extend the lifetime of the existing credentials. RETURN VALUES
PAM_BUF_ERR Memory buffer error. PAM_CRED_ERR Failed to set user credentials. PAM_CRED_EXPIRED User credentials are expired. PAM_CRED_UNAVAIL Failed to retrieve user credentials. PAM_SUCCESS Data was successful stored. PAM_SYSTEM_ERR A NULL pointer was submitted as PAM handle, the function was called by a module or another system error occured. PAM_USER_UNKNOWN User is not known to an authentication module. SEE ALSO
pam_authenticate(3), pam_open_session(3), pam_close_session(3), pam_strerror(3) Linux-PAM Manual 06/04/2011 PAM_SETCRED(3)