Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Difference Between executing llike ./myscript.ksh and . ./myscript.ksh Post 302506465 by DoxieLvr on Monday 21st of March 2011 12:46:25 AM
Old 03-21-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by max_hammer
thanks jilliagre

that means the execution like . ./my_script.ksh is same as sh my_script.ksh ?
No.
. ./my_script.kshexecutes the script within your current (probably login) shell. sh my_script.ksh creates a new shell in a child process and executes within that. Neither of them obeys the shebang (#!) in the script.

sh my_script.kshis roughly equivalent to ./my_script.ksh, but only if the shebang specifies /bin/sh as the executing shell.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing ksh script from cgi

Hi all, I'm developing a system which requires me to run a ksh script from within a cgi script. What sort of syntax will I need to do this, I'm sure it's simple but can't find out how anywhere! Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hodges
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing variables in ksh scripts?

In a ksh script on an AIX box running a jillion oracle database processes, I'm setting a variable to one of two possible arguments, depending on cmd line arguments. FINDIT="ps -ef | grep oracle | grep DBexport | grep rshrc" -or- FINDIT="ps -ef | grep oracle | grep prod | grep runback" I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedmelon
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing a ksh script from another ksh script

Hi, I'm new to unix scripting.How can i call a script from another script. I have a.ksh and b.ksh .I have to call b.ksh from a.ksh after it is successfully exceuted. I tried using #!/bin/ksh -x in a.ksh and at the end i have used /path/b.ksh My problem is it is executing only a.ksh.it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: difference between $* and $@

Please ignore. I found the answer at: https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/24557-difference-between.html (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Specified Ksh but executing in bash

Hi, I am a new bie to unix shell programming. I have specified ksh as the first line in my script but when executed it complains. *********** Script=test******************** #!/usr/bin/ksh echo hello print -p 123 ************************************ ++++++++ Execution... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: akhilnagpal
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error in executing ksh from Windows

Hi All, I wrote a script to send a mail if a particular logfile did not get updated since 5 mins. Here is the Script. log=`date +%e_%b_%Y`.log # returns todays logfile x=`date -r $log` # returns last modification time of the Log file h1=`expr substr "$x" 12 2` m1=`expr substr "$x" 15 2`... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AnneAnne
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem in Executing script in ksh

Hi, I am in ksh. below mentioned 3 commands I executed at command prompt & got the expected results. csh source csh_infa <special command> Now I have to do this in the script in ksh. I entered it as it is. #!/bin/ksh csh source csh_infa <special command> Now after... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: girish_kanak
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

forking question myscript vs . myscript vs exec myscript

I have a question about the following what is the difference between running myscript vs . myscript vs exec myscript ? I know that when you just run myscript it will fork a child process and run the script and exits. What does the . myscript and exec myscript do and why is it different and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jlim0930
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing ksh script

I am trying to call a ksh script from another ksh script. in the called script , i am doing sum calculation(used typeset etc) suppose a.ksh is the calling script and b.ksh is the called script . . b.ksh (used this inside a.ksh) this execution gives some error like bad number. but when i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: urfrnddpk
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Two for loops in ksh script only one not executing

Hello, I have two "for loops" in my script and the second one is not executing the way i want. Script: #!/bin/ksh IFS=' ' printf "Enter Account name: " read A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O for i in ${A} ${B} ${C} ${D} ${E} ${F} ${G} ${H} ${I} ${J} ${K} ${L} ${M} ${N} ${O};... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: seekryts15
3 Replies
suspend(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)