Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Difference Between executing llike ./myscript.ksh and . ./myscript.ksh Post 302506460 by jlliagre on Monday 21st of March 2011 12:16:10 AM
Old 03-21-2011
The "." command is executing the script in the calling shell (a.k.a. sourcing it) instead of launching a subshell. This explains the differences you observed.
This User Gave Thanks to jlliagre For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing ksh script from cgi

Hi all, I'm developing a system which requires me to run a ksh script from within a cgi script. What sort of syntax will I need to do this, I'm sure it's simple but can't find out how anywhere! Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hodges
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing variables in ksh scripts?

In a ksh script on an AIX box running a jillion oracle database processes, I'm setting a variable to one of two possible arguments, depending on cmd line arguments. FINDIT="ps -ef | grep oracle | grep DBexport | grep rshrc" -or- FINDIT="ps -ef | grep oracle | grep prod | grep runback" I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zedmelon
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing a ksh script from another ksh script

Hi, I'm new to unix scripting.How can i call a script from another script. I have a.ksh and b.ksh .I have to call b.ksh from a.ksh after it is successfully exceuted. I tried using #!/bin/ksh -x in a.ksh and at the end i have used /path/b.ksh My problem is it is executing only a.ksh.it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: difference between $* and $@

Please ignore. I found the answer at: https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/24557-difference-between.html (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Specified Ksh but executing in bash

Hi, I am a new bie to unix shell programming. I have specified ksh as the first line in my script but when executed it complains. *********** Script=test******************** #!/usr/bin/ksh echo hello print -p 123 ************************************ ++++++++ Execution... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: akhilnagpal
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error in executing ksh from Windows

Hi All, I wrote a script to send a mail if a particular logfile did not get updated since 5 mins. Here is the Script. log=`date +%e_%b_%Y`.log # returns todays logfile x=`date -r $log` # returns last modification time of the Log file h1=`expr substr "$x" 12 2` m1=`expr substr "$x" 15 2`... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AnneAnne
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem in Executing script in ksh

Hi, I am in ksh. below mentioned 3 commands I executed at command prompt & got the expected results. csh source csh_infa <special command> Now I have to do this in the script in ksh. I entered it as it is. #!/bin/ksh csh source csh_infa <special command> Now after... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: girish_kanak
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

forking question myscript vs . myscript vs exec myscript

I have a question about the following what is the difference between running myscript vs . myscript vs exec myscript ? I know that when you just run myscript it will fork a child process and run the script and exits. What does the . myscript and exec myscript do and why is it different and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jlim0930
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing ksh script

I am trying to call a ksh script from another ksh script. in the called script , i am doing sum calculation(used typeset etc) suppose a.ksh is the calling script and b.ksh is the called script . . b.ksh (used this inside a.ksh) this execution gives some error like bad number. but when i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: urfrnddpk
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Two for loops in ksh script only one not executing

Hello, I have two "for loops" in my script and the second one is not executing the way i want. Script: #!/bin/ksh IFS=' ' printf "Enter Account name: " read A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O for i in ${A} ${B} ${C} ${D} ${E} ${F} ${G} ${H} ${I} ${J} ${K} ${L} ${M} ${N} ${O};... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: seekryts15
3 Replies
let(1)								   User Commands							    let(1)

NAME
let - shell built-in function to evaluate one or more arithmetic expressions SYNOPSIS
ksh let arg... ksh93 let [expr...] DESCRIPTION
ksh Each arg is a separate arithmetic expression to be evaluated. ksh93 let evaluates each expr in the current shell environment as an arithmetic expression using ANSI C syntax. Variables names are shell vari- ables and they are recursively evaluated as arithmetic expressions to get numerical values. let has been made obsolete by the ((...)) syn- tax of ksh93(1) which does not require quoting of the operators to pass them as command arguments. EXIT STATUS
ksh ksh returns the following exit values: 0 The value of the last expression is non-zero. 1 The value of the last expression is zero. ksh93 ksh93 returns the following exit values: 0 The last expr evaluates to a non-zero value. >0 The last expr evaluates to 0 or an error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), ksh93(1), set(1), typeset(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 2 Nov 2007 let(1)