Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting insert spaces between characters with pure shell Post 302506443 by fubaya on Sunday 20th of March 2011 09:23:09 PM
Old 03-20-2011
Thanks! Actually, the expansion didn't work correctly when trying offsets but I found a way around with expr substr. All 3 would probably work with a little changing for my particular need, but this was the easiest so it's what I ended up with.

Code:
LEN=${#1}
count=1
    while [ "$count" -lt "$LEN" ]
    do
       echo -n "$(expr substr $1 $count 1 ) "
       count=$(($count + 1))
    done
echo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strip leading and trailing spaces only in a shell variable with embedded spaces

I am trying to strip all leading and trailing spaces of a shell variable using either awk or sed or any other utility, however unscuccessful and need your help. echo $SH_VAR | command_line Syntax. The SH_VAR contains embedded spaces which needs to be preserved. I need only for the leading and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add spaces between Characters

I need to add spaces in between characters in a string variable. Is there a shortcut? I know you can remove the spaces with sed, but does sed have a way to add them? Example: I have: DATA01 I want it to be: D A T A 0 1 What I have done so far is to create a function... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: heyindy06
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert greek characters in to vi editor

Hi, I want to test a unix file by inserting greek characters in to vi editor. Can anyone please suggest how to insert greek characters in to vi editor. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DSDexter
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a special character $ in place of extra spaces

Hi Experts, I have called some.txt with the following content. oracle HYRDSRVIHUB01 pts/0 TESTIHUB 07-JUN-10 CREATE TABLE TESTIHUB PHONE ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: naree
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert space between characters using sed

Input: Youcaneasilydothisbyhighlightingyourcode. Putting space after three characters. You can eas ily dot his byh igh lig hti ngy our cod e. How can i do this using sed? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert varying length spaces between words

Hey all, Fist post, so be kind... I have written an expect script which logs into a terminal and gathers several screens of information. Unfortunately the log file gives me all the special escape and control characters from the terminal. I am hoping to use a combination of shell scripting, sed,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mpacer
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn shell to insert cyrillic characters into the databse

i have written a shell script that reads a csv file and inserts tokenized strings into the database. the problem comes when the csv file has cyrillic characters. how do i set the parameters in my shell script(korn shell) so that any characters can be inserted into the database. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkca
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

insert multiple characters in string

Hello, newb here :o How do I add square brackets before and after the first character in a string using sed? e.g. 0123456 123456 My attempts have been fruitless. sed 's/.\{0\}//' Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shadyuk
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pure POSIX shell scripting...

Hi all... This is more of a concensus question than help... As many of you know I am experimenting with the limitations of Pure POSIX shell scripting. Q: Is the directory /bin considered part of the Pure POSIX shell or must I stick entirely with the builtins only? The reason is I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[sed]: syntax to insert N spaces in front of a string

Dear all, I would like to insert N blankspaces in front of a string using sed command To give an example (N=10), I tried that code: $ echo "abcd" | sed 's/^/ \{10,\}&/' but I failed, by obtaining that result: {10,}abcd Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance,... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: dae
18 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitLvalueSuUser(Contributed Perl DocumPerl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitLvalueSubstr(3)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitLvalueSubstr - Use 4-argument "substr" instead of writing "substr($foo, 2, 6) = $bar". AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
Conway discourages the use of "substr()" as an lvalue, instead recommending that the 4-argument version of "substr()" be used instead. substr($something, 1, 2) = $newvalue; # not ok substr($something, 1, 2, $newvalue); # ok The four-argument form of "substr()" was introduced in Perl 5.005. This policy does not report violations on code which explicitly specifies an earlier version of Perl (e.g. "use 5.004;"). CONFIGURATION
This Policy is not configurable except for the standard options. SEE ALSO
"substr" in perlfunc (or "perldoc -f substr"). "4th argument to substr" in perl5005delta AUTHOR
Graham TerMarsch <graham@howlingfrog.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2005-2011 Graham TerMarsch. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2014-06-09 Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitLvalueSubstr(3)