Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting insert spaces between characters with pure shell Post 302506435 by Chubler_XL on Sunday 20th of March 2011 08:40:06 PM
Old 03-20-2011
How about this:

Code:
addspace () {
    LEN=${#1}
    for ((c=0;c<$LEN;c++))
    do
       echo -n "${1:$c:1} "
    done
       echo ${1:$LEN:1}
}
addspace "abcdef"

And if your shell dosn't support for loop:
Code:
addspace () {
    LEN=${#1}
        c=0
    while [ $c -lt $LEN ]
    do
       echo -n "${1:$c:1} "
           let c=c+1
    done
    echo ${1:$LEN:1}
}
addspace "abcdef"

This User Gave Thanks to Chubler_XL For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strip leading and trailing spaces only in a shell variable with embedded spaces

I am trying to strip all leading and trailing spaces of a shell variable using either awk or sed or any other utility, however unscuccessful and need your help. echo $SH_VAR | command_line Syntax. The SH_VAR contains embedded spaces which needs to be preserved. I need only for the leading and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add spaces between Characters

I need to add spaces in between characters in a string variable. Is there a shortcut? I know you can remove the spaces with sed, but does sed have a way to add them? Example: I have: DATA01 I want it to be: D A T A 0 1 What I have done so far is to create a function... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: heyindy06
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert greek characters in to vi editor

Hi, I want to test a unix file by inserting greek characters in to vi editor. Can anyone please suggest how to insert greek characters in to vi editor. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DSDexter
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a special character $ in place of extra spaces

Hi Experts, I have called some.txt with the following content. oracle HYRDSRVIHUB01 pts/0 TESTIHUB 07-JUN-10 CREATE TABLE TESTIHUB PHONE ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: naree
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert space between characters using sed

Input: Youcaneasilydothisbyhighlightingyourcode. Putting space after three characters. You can eas ily dot his byh igh lig hti ngy our cod e. How can i do this using sed? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert varying length spaces between words

Hey all, Fist post, so be kind... I have written an expect script which logs into a terminal and gathers several screens of information. Unfortunately the log file gives me all the special escape and control characters from the terminal. I am hoping to use a combination of shell scripting, sed,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mpacer
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn shell to insert cyrillic characters into the databse

i have written a shell script that reads a csv file and inserts tokenized strings into the database. the problem comes when the csv file has cyrillic characters. how do i set the parameters in my shell script(korn shell) so that any characters can be inserted into the database. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkca
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

insert multiple characters in string

Hello, newb here :o How do I add square brackets before and after the first character in a string using sed? e.g. 0123456 123456 My attempts have been fruitless. sed 's/.\{0\}//' Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shadyuk
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pure POSIX shell scripting...

Hi all... This is more of a concensus question than help... As many of you know I am experimenting with the limitations of Pure POSIX shell scripting. Q: Is the directory /bin considered part of the Pure POSIX shell or must I stick entirely with the builtins only? The reason is I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[sed]: syntax to insert N spaces in front of a string

Dear all, I would like to insert N blankspaces in front of a string using sed command To give an example (N=10), I tried that code: $ echo "abcd" | sed 's/^/ \{10,\}&/' but I failed, by obtaining that result: {10,}abcd Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance,... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: dae
18 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)