Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Single Application Operating System Post 302506380 by unt_engn on Sunday 20th of March 2011 12:17:59 PM
Old 03-20-2011
Single Application Operating System

I am going to start an ambitious project for my senior year of college. Just as the title says:
I want to write a single application operating system that is dedicated to running only one application and none other. I need to build a bare bones UNIX operating system that will use provided binary files to run an open source music production application.
I plan on working on this over the next year with my professors and I will continue to develop after I graduate.
I am open to any and all languages. What do you think would work best?

Why:
I have older laptops that are obsolete (512 MB RAM with 1.0 GB processors) and I would like to dedicate them to running only one application. These laptops have a hard time just running Windows XP which leaves no room for running ANY applications. I dont want all the useless user friendly mess that comes with todays operating systems. Why else? Because this seems hard, so why not?Smilie
How:
I want to work directly with or right above the assembly language and keep any high level programming to a minimum.Smilie I need the computer to boot straight into the application, ie: I turn it on and it automatically starts the one application and dedicates the entire computer to running it.
I'm not going to come straight out with my idea on how to do this, but I would like to see what all the wizards out there think of this.

USB 2.0 MUST WORK Smiliebut is not important at this stage.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Operating System

I need the Unix operating system on disc as im new to unix. Im studying unix and x windows next year at Sheffield University and would like to get a head start. Any suggestions would be appreciated (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffersno1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Operating on a file being written by another application

Hi, I have a directory that is used to store files generated by another application. Each file is huge and can take some time to produce. I am writing a shell script to check the names and dates of the files and do some functions on the ones that are not being written out. My question is, if I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GMMike
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Operating System

Can anyone give me info on networking features of the Unix Operating System please. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: WaveZero
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Operating System

Which is much more powerful as an operating system: 1. Windows 2000 2. Windows 98 3. Windows XP 4. Windows ME 5. Unix 6. Linux and why is it much more powerful than the other operating systems that i have mentioned. thanks for your info... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alecks1975
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Operating System?

Hey all, I currently use FreeBSD and linux and have decided I want to use a proper Unix distrobution. Which Unix distro would you members recommend. The only requirments that I have is that I can use some pogramming utilities available. I don't mind the install process. One more thing, I know some... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: -zorin
2 Replies

6. IP Networking

Operating System Programming

I am new in Kernel programming....i want to know how kernel is implemented.To this i have downloaded minix 3 kernel but i do not know where to start my study of kernel programming...please tell me from where to start understanding the code and how to run kernel in windows 7 or red hat. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sajan Gupta
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Best Operating System

Hello All, I want to install Linux on my machine, so please tell me one thing which is the best to install- 1.)Red Hat 2.)Cent OS 3.)Red Hat 4.)Ubuntu 5.)Fedora except that if there is any please tell me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Detect Operating System

Hi, I need a script that needs to detect the Operating System and based upon wheter it is Linux, Solaris x86, Sparc, Itanium etc it should populate "ps" command with detailed output accordingly for example: ps -xef | grep java -> Itaniumps -auxwww | greap java -> Solaris (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What's my Operating System

Can we know the operating given the IP address or DNS of the host. All I have is file://myserver/myapp (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
4 Replies
app(5)								       Files								    app(5)

NAME
app - Application resource file. DESCRIPTION
The application resource file specifies the resources an application uses, and how the application is started. There must always be one application resource file called Application.app for each application Application in the system. The file is read by the application controller when an application is loaded/started. It is also used by the functions in systools , for example when generating start scripts. FILE SYNTAX
The application resource file should be called Application.app where Application is the name of the application. The file should be located in the ebin directory for the application. It must contain one single Erlang term, which is called an application specification : {application, Application, [{description, Description}, {id, Id}, {vsn, Vsn}, {modules, Modules}, {maxP, MaxP}, {maxT, MaxT}, {registered, Names}, {included_applications, Apps}, {applications, Apps}, {env, Env}, {mod, Start}, {start_phases, Phases}]}. Value Default ----- ------- Application atom() - Description string() "" Id string() "" Vsn string() "" Modules [Module] [] MaxP int() infinity MaxT int() infinity Names [Name] [] Apps [App] [] Env [{Par,Val}] [] Start {Module,StartArgs} undefined Phases [{Phase,PhaseArgs}] undefined Module = Name = App = Par = Phase = atom() Val = StartArgs = PhaseArgs = term() Application is the name of the application. For the application controller, all keys are optional. The respective default values are used for any omitted keys. The functions in systools require more information. If they are used, the following keys are mandatory: description , vsn , modules , reg- istered and applications . The other keys are ignored by systools . description : A one-line description of the application. id : Product identification, or similar. vsn : The version of the application. modules : All modules introduced by this application. systools uses this list when generating start scripts and tar files. A module can only be defined in one application. maxP : Deprecated - will be ignored The maximum number of processes allowed in the application. maxT : The maximum time in milliseconds that the application is allowed to run. After the specified time the application will automatically terminate. registered : All names of registered processes started in this application. systools uses this list to detect name clashes between different appli- cations. included_applications : All applications which are included by this application. When this application is started, all included application will automatically be loaded, but not started, by the application controller. It is assumed that the topmost supervisor of the included application is started by a supervisor of this application. applications : All applications which must be started before this application is allowed to be started. systools uses this list to generate correct start scripts. Defaults to the empty list, but note that all applications have dependencies to (at least) kernel and stdlib . env : Configuration parameters used by the application. The value of a configuration parameter is retrieved by calling applica- tion:get_env/1,2 . The values in the application resource file can be overridden by values in a configuration file (see config(5) ) or by command line flags (see erl(1) ). mod : Specifies the application callback module and a start argument, see application(3erl) . The mod key is necessary for an application implemented as a supervision tree, or the application controller will not know how to start it. The mod key can be omitted for applications without processes, typically code libraries such as the application STDLIB. start_phases : A list of start phases and corresponding start arguments for the application. If this key is present, the application master will - in addition to the usual call to Module:start/2 - also call Module:start_phase(Phase,Type,PhaseArgs) for each start phase defined by the start_phases key, and only after this extended start procedure will application:start(Application) return. Start phases may be used to synchronize startup of an application and its included applications. In this case, the mod key must be specified as: {mod, {application_starter,[Module,StartArgs]}} The application master will then call Module:start/2 for the primary application, followed by calls to Module:start_phase/3 for each start phase (as defined for the primary application) both for the primary application and for each of its included application, for which the start phase is defined. This implies that for an included application, the set of start phases must be a subset of the set of phases defined for the primary application. Refer to OTP Design Principles for more information. SEE ALSO
application(3erl) , systools(3erl) Ericsson AB kernel 2.14.3 app(5)