Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How To Run A For Loop In A Remsh? Post 302506227 by Perderabo on Saturday 19th of March 2011 10:09:11 AM
Old 03-19-2011
Although I answered the question that was asked, I always do as methyl suggests for any remote commands beyond a simple "uptime" or "date".

I do sometimes type in loops or quick function definitions at the command line locally as I showed in my example. So I stay up to speed on ksh syntax as well. Real example: I was on a broken system and cat and ls didn't work, nor did most commands. So I do a quick:
Code:
function mycat { while read l ; do echo "$l" ; done < $1 ; }
function myls { while [ $# -ne 0 ] ; do echo "$1" ; shift; done ;}

and I can look around with commands like "myls /etc/*" and "mycat somefile". It's very handy being able to pull stuff like that out of my hat when I need to.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

remsh and run script

Help! I'm would like to log in su - within a script an contuine to run the commands within the script. Every time I log in as su - I have to exit for the rest of the script to run! e.g. #!/bin/ksh su - oracle ps -ef |grep som <--- doesn't excute command until I log out su oracle.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bugggg
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

The loop does not run as expected

Hi folks, I have the following configuration file: DB_LAYER=NO ADMIN_LAYER=NO RTESUB_LAYER=NO DB_HOST_NAME=tornado ADMIN_HOST_NAME=tornado RTESUB_HOST_NAME=tornado RESPONSE_FILE_SR=/tmp/SR.rsp INSTALL_SR_1=/home/Upgrade_4.7.1/Utilities/Install_SR:Y... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

remsh newhost "for loop"

Hi, In ksh how can I execute something like this: remsh newhost "for i in 1 2 3 4 5 do echo file$i; cat file$i; done" I cannot pass the contrl J or enter in th above line which is required by the for loop. Thanks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alantang
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

remsh inside of while loop

I have a space delimited file containing: hostname OracleSID connectstring I want to loop through the file and execute remsh to check the database processes. cat $filename | while read HOST SID CONNECT do { result=`remsh $HOST "ps -ef | grep pmon_${SID}$| grep -v grep"` if ........ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joettacm
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How To Run AWK via Remsh?

Boy I hope someone can answer this question. I've been beating my head against the wall all day trying to come up with a solution. I have a carrot delimited file that looks like this: ANDERSON^678934^1974^BOB JONES^564564345^1954^ABRAHAM SMITH^47568465^1948^JON If I run this command: awk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Korn0474
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a better way I could have run this loop. (For loop with two variables)

Sorry for such a dreadful title, but I'm not sure how to be more descriptive. I'm hoping some of the more gurutastic out there can take a look at a solution I came up with to a problem, and advice if there are better ways to have gone about it. To make a long story short around 20K pieces of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for telnet and run one command kill it and run another command using while loop

( sleep 3 echo ${LOGIN} sleep 2 echo ${PSWD} sleep 2 while read line do echo "$line" PID=$? sleep 2 kill -9 $PID done < temp sleep 5 echo "exit" ) | telnet ${HOST} while is executing only command and exits. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sooda
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run it in the loop??

I have this code awk -F, ' { C5+=$5 C6+=$6 C7+=$7 C8+=$8 R=$5+$6+$7+$8 T+=R } { print $0,R } END { print... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run the for loop in parallel

I have the below code which runs on multiple databases , but this runs one-after-one. I will need this to run in parallel so that i could save a lot of time. Please help!!! Thanks in advance for Db in `cat /var/opt/oracle/oratab |egrep -v "ASM" |grep -v \# |cut -d\: -f1` do { export... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjoy
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to run a basic for loop

OS : RHEL 6.1 Shell : Bash I had a similair post on this a few weeks back. But I didn't explain my requirements clearly then. Hence starting a new thread now. I have lots of files in /tmp/stage directory as show below. I want to loop through each files to run a command on each file. I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
8 Replies