Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How To Run A For Loop In A Remsh? Post 302506119 by Korn0474 on Friday 18th of March 2011 02:09:17 PM
Old 03-18-2011
How To Run A For Loop In A Remsh?

Hi all,

I'm trying to remsh to another server and then execute a for loop command there but I'm getting unexpected errors and would appreciate any suggestions.

Ideally what I want to do is this:
Code:
for host in `cat host_file`
do
  remsh $host -n "
     cd /home/
     for DATABASE in `ls -d db[1-8]*`
     do
          [execute program] $DATABASE
     done"
done

Now my understanding is that you can't use new lines for remsh logic so the code would have to look like this:
Code:
for host in `cat host_file`
do
  remsh $host -n "cd /home/; for DATABASE in `ls -d db[1-8]*`; do; [execute program] $DATABASE;  done"
done

Unfortunately I get the following error:
Code:
ksh: syntax error at line 1 : `;' unexpected

So clearly I'm doing something wrong. I've tried chaning the placement of the semi colons but to no avail. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

remsh and run script

Help! I'm would like to log in su - within a script an contuine to run the commands within the script. Every time I log in as su - I have to exit for the rest of the script to run! e.g. #!/bin/ksh su - oracle ps -ef |grep som <--- doesn't excute command until I log out su oracle.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bugggg
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

The loop does not run as expected

Hi folks, I have the following configuration file: DB_LAYER=NO ADMIN_LAYER=NO RTESUB_LAYER=NO DB_HOST_NAME=tornado ADMIN_HOST_NAME=tornado RTESUB_HOST_NAME=tornado RESPONSE_FILE_SR=/tmp/SR.rsp INSTALL_SR_1=/home/Upgrade_4.7.1/Utilities/Install_SR:Y... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

remsh newhost "for loop"

Hi, In ksh how can I execute something like this: remsh newhost "for i in 1 2 3 4 5 do echo file$i; cat file$i; done" I cannot pass the contrl J or enter in th above line which is required by the for loop. Thanks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alantang
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

remsh inside of while loop

I have a space delimited file containing: hostname OracleSID connectstring I want to loop through the file and execute remsh to check the database processes. cat $filename | while read HOST SID CONNECT do { result=`remsh $HOST "ps -ef | grep pmon_${SID}$| grep -v grep"` if ........ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joettacm
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How To Run AWK via Remsh?

Boy I hope someone can answer this question. I've been beating my head against the wall all day trying to come up with a solution. I have a carrot delimited file that looks like this: ANDERSON^678934^1974^BOB JONES^564564345^1954^ABRAHAM SMITH^47568465^1948^JON If I run this command: awk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Korn0474
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a better way I could have run this loop. (For loop with two variables)

Sorry for such a dreadful title, but I'm not sure how to be more descriptive. I'm hoping some of the more gurutastic out there can take a look at a solution I came up with to a problem, and advice if there are better ways to have gone about it. To make a long story short around 20K pieces of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for telnet and run one command kill it and run another command using while loop

( sleep 3 echo ${LOGIN} sleep 2 echo ${PSWD} sleep 2 while read line do echo "$line" PID=$? sleep 2 kill -9 $PID done < temp sleep 5 echo "exit" ) | telnet ${HOST} while is executing only command and exits. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sooda
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run it in the loop??

I have this code awk -F, ' { C5+=$5 C6+=$6 C7+=$7 C8+=$8 R=$5+$6+$7+$8 T+=R } { print $0,R } END { print... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run the for loop in parallel

I have the below code which runs on multiple databases , but this runs one-after-one. I will need this to run in parallel so that i could save a lot of time. Please help!!! Thanks in advance for Db in `cat /var/opt/oracle/oratab |egrep -v "ASM" |grep -v \# |cut -d\: -f1` do { export... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjoy
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to run a basic for loop

OS : RHEL 6.1 Shell : Bash I had a similair post on this a few weeks back. But I didn't explain my requirements clearly then. Hence starting a new thread now. I have lots of files in /tmp/stage directory as show below. I want to loop through each files to run a command on each file. I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
8 Replies
DATABASE(7) SQL Commands ALTER DATABASE(7) NAME
ALTER DATABASE - change a database SYNOPSIS
ALTER DATABASE name SET variable { TO | = } { value | DEFAULT } ALTER DATABASE name RESET variable DESCRIPTION
ALTER DATABASE is used to change the session default of a run-time configuration variable for a PostgreSQL database. Whenever a new session is subsequently started in that database, the specified value becomes the session default value. The database-specific default overrides whatever setting is present in postgresql.conf or has been received from the postmaster. Only a superuser or the database owner can change the session defaults for a database. PARAMETERS name The name of the database whose session defaults are to be altered. variable value Set the session default for this database of the specified configuration variable to the given value. If value is DEFAULT or, equiv- alently, RESET is used, the database-specific variable setting is removed and the system-wide default setting will be inherited in new sessions. Use RESET ALL to clear all settings. See SET [set(7)] and the Administrator's Guide for more information about allowed variable names and values. DIAGNOSTICS
ALTER DATABASE Message returned if the alteration was successful. ERROR: database "dbname" does not exist Error message returned if the specified database is not known to the system. NOTES
Using ALTER USER [alter_user(7)], it is also possible to tie a session default to a specific user rather than a database. User-specific settings override database-specific ones if there is a conflict. EXAMPLES
To disable index scans by default in the database test: ALTER DATABASE test SET enable_indexscan TO off; COMPATIBILITY
The ALTER DATABASE statement is a PostgreSQL extension. SEE ALSO
ALTER USER [alter_user(7)], CREATE DATABASE [create_database(l)], DROP DATABASE [drop_database(l)], SET [set(l)] SQL - Language Statements 2002-11-22 ALTER DATABASE(7)