Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Two questions. First one; What are the ways in which a program starts to run. Post 302505867 by theKbStockpiler on Thursday 17th of March 2011 09:01:35 PM
Old 03-17-2011
Two questions. First one; What are the ways in which a program starts to run.

This is my first post here so hello everyone! I know that a command of the programs name can start a program and clicking on a icon in GUI can as well as a startup shell script but how do I educate myself of the method that starts an application? Does the GUI run a script? What are the ways/ way that triggers the kernel to action.

Also I'm Linux centered so how do I know what should really be posted in the Linux section since the topics for both are usually the same.

Thanks in advance!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Possible ways to run shell scripts on Windows

Hi all, I want to know possible ways to exceute the shell scripts on Windows environment. Please help me. Regards, Uday. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uday123
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can I run something as root (modprobe, to be exact) every time computer starts.

I have the root password for my box, but I'm ignorant. So, every time I start my computer, I have to run this command /sbin/modprobe fuse as su, so that I can do other stuff (like mount remote directories locally using sshfs) I guess there's some file, like .bashrc, only it's applicable... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tphyahoo
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cannot run program

Hi, I have a program in /opt/local/bin, my path in my .profile is export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH however when i type the program name it cannot find it, however i know the program is in /opt/local/bin? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: c19h28O2
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

chess perl program questions

Hello guys, While going over the book, I ran into this chess program and I have few questions 1) on line 40), why is not $chessboard-> ) ??? 40 unless (defined $chessboard->) { 2) 20 foreach my $i (reverse (0..7)) { #Row 1 #!/usr/bin/perl -w 2 # 3 # 4 5 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hankooknara
1 Replies

5. SuSE

Adding a program that starts up a minute after bootup

I'm using SuSE Enterprise Linux 11 SP1 on several servers and need to have a program start on all of these server about a minute after bootup, but before anyone logs in. Does anyone have any idea on how to make this work? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goose25
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ways to run script from anywhere

Hi I am trying to make my scripts to run from any directory and after some research (googling) I find there are 2 ways to do this 1. export PATH=$PATH:directory 2. create a /bin directory in your home directory and put your scripts there. Could someone tell me the relative merits of either... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: piynik
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop - how to run processes one after another (2nd starts after first completes, and so on)

I'm a programming noob. I'm trying to run a memory intensive process for many files. But when I use the following script, it runs fine for the first 5-7 files, then runs out of memory. Monitoring the output files, it's clear the processes are going on in parallel. Once 5-7 of the files are being... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
18 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Anyway different ways of doing this program

Okay so I'm 13 and my dad set me a challenge of writing a program that check to see if a box is online with input parameter when starting the program so i came back with this.The top commented out bit is what he showed me how to do after i show him my code. #!/bin/sh #in=${@} #tst=`echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattylad000
3 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

When I run the script, the cursor starts on the wrong line?

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: It's a shell script using a looping logic, trap, tput, if, while. Most of the scripts in this book aren't written... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckleinholz
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to write a shell script that starts one, then kills it, then starts another?

This is on a CentOS box, I have two scripts that need to run in order. I want to write a shell script that calls the first script, lets it run and then terminates it after a certain number of hours (that I specify of course), and then calls the second script (they can't run simultaneously) which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: btramer
3 Replies
INITSCRIPT(5)						Linux System Administrator's Manual					     INITSCRIPT(5)

NAME
initscript - script that executes inittab commands. SYNOPSIS
/bin/sh /etc/initscript id runlevels action process DESCRIPTION
When the shell script /etc/initscript is present, init will use it to execute the commands from inittab. This script can be used to set things like ulimit and umask default values for every process. EXAMPLES
This is a sample initscript, which might be installed on your system as /etc/initscript.sample. # # initscript Executed by init(8) for every program it # wants to spawn like this: # # /bin/sh /etc/initscript <id> <level> <action> <process> # # Set umask to safe level, and enable core dumps. umask 022 ulimit -c 2097151 PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin export PATH # Increase the hard file descriptor limit for all processes # to 8192. The soft limit is still 1024, but any unprivileged # process can increase its soft limit up to the hard limit # with "ulimit -Sn xxx" (needs a 2.2.13 or later Linux kernel). ulimit -Hn 8192 # Execute the program. eval exec "$4" NOTES
This script is not meant as startup script for daemons or somesuch. It has nothing to do with a rc.local style script. It's just a handler for things executed from /etc/inittab. Experimenting with this can make your system un(re)bootable. FILES
/etc/inittab, /etc/initscript. AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg ,<miquels@cistron.nl> SEE ALSO
init(8), inittab(5). July 10, 2003 INITSCRIPT(5)