Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Present Working Directory (not the full path) Post 302505858 by LivinFree on Thursday 17th of March 2011 08:27:29 PM
Old 03-17-2011
I'd buy Bill Joy a beer for vi, but punch him halfway through the round for NFS and csh.

I guess we shouldn't blame him completely, though. NFS and csh were good for their time - it's those lousy *users* that kept them alive to modern times.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to LivinFree For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Getting present working directory

How can I get the present working directory in unix system using c programming and stored it in a string ?? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: winsonlee
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut the present working directory

how to traverse through each directory (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Reddy482
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting by Full directory path

I have a text file with full list of files with their full path. I wanted to sort it by directory then files then subdirectory by alphabetically. When I used the sort command it doesn't give like what I want. Could somebody help me on this. Here is the ex: This is what I'm getting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: javidraaj
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which has contents in the form of full path file names i.e. $home> vi abcd.txt /a/b/c/r1.txt /q/w/e/r2.txt /z/x/c/r3.txt Now I want to retrieve only the directory path name for each row i.e /a/b/c/ /q/w/e/ How to get the same through shell script?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract strings from full path when full path is not fixed

/Path/snowbird9/nrfCompMgrRave1230100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message. /Path/snowbird6/nrfCompMgrRave1220100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message. /Path/snowbird14/nrfCompMgrRave920100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirisha
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I get an ls -l to not show the full directory path?

Hey I'm new to the forums here, and I'm seeking help for this script that I'm writing. When I do ls -l of a directory it shows the full pathname for files in it. For example, if the directory is /internet/post/forum/ and the file is topic, it currently shows internet/post/forum/topic. What's the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: unity04
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

$0 doesn't have full directory path

I'm running AIX unix korn shell. If I echo $0, I only get the filename, it does not have the directory name also. So when I do: `dirname $0` it returns a . (meaning current directory). How get $0 to return the full path/filename? Do I need something in my .profile? Thank you. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sboxtops
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all Subdirectories and files with its full path in a parent directory?

How to list all Subdirectories and files with its full path in a parent directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnveslin
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls -l /directory/path | grep -f filter.txt NOT WORKING

Hi, I have been searching all over and cannot find a script or command that simply search or match the filenames listed in a file and match it from a directory. so far, example: cat filter.txt file1.def file2.conf file3.def ls -l /directory | grep -f filter.txt (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolf@=NK
15 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract directory name from the full directory path in UNIX using shell scripting

My input is as below : /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/loyal/IFIND.HELLO.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/triumph/ifind.triumph.txt From the above input I want to extract the file names only . Basically I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: IshuGupta
5 Replies
shell_builtins(1)														 shell_builtins(1)

NAME
shell_builtins, case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, while - shell command interpreter built-in commands The shell command interpreters csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1) have special built-in commands. The commands case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, and while are commands in the syntax recognized by the shells. They are described in the Commands section of the manual pages of the respective shells. The remaining commands listed in the table below are built into the shells for reasons such as efficiency or data sharing between command invocations. They are described on their respective manual pages. | Command | Shell alias |csh, ksh bg |csh, ksh, sh break |csh, ksh, sh case |csh, ksh, sh cd |csh, ksh, sh chdir |csh, sh continue |csh, ksh, sh dirs |csh echo |csh, ksh, sh eval |csh, ksh, sh exec |csh, ksh, sh exit |csh, ksh, sh export |ksh, sh false |ksh fc |ksh fg |csh, ksh, sh for |ksh, sh foreach |csh function |ksh getopts |ksh, sh glob |csh goto |csh hash |ksh, sh hashstat |csh history |csh if |csh, ksh, sh jobs |csh, ksh, sh kill |csh, ksh, sh let |ksh limit |csh login |csh, ksh, sh logout |csh, ksh, sh nice |csh newgrp |ksh, sh nohup |csh notify |csh onintr |csh popd |csh print |ksh pushd |csh pwd |ksh, sh read |ksh, sh readonly |ksh, sh rehash |csh repeat |csh return |ksh, sh select |ksh set |csh, ksh, sh setenv |csh shift |csh, ksh, sh source |csh stop |csh, ksh, sh suspend |csh, ksh, sh switch |csh test |ksh, sh time |csh times |ksh, sh trap |ksh, sh true |ksh type |ksh, sh typeset |ksh ulimit |ksh, sh umask |csh, ksh, sh unalias |csh, ksh unhash |csh unlimit |csh unset |csh, ksh, sh unsetenv |csh until |ksh, sh wait |csh, ksh, sh whence |ksh while |csh, ksh, sh Bourne Shell, sh, Special Commands Input/output redirection is now permitted for these commands. File descriptor 1 is the default output location. When Job Control is enabled, additional Special Commands are added to the shell's environment. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, sh also uses: : No effect; the command does nothing. A zero exit code is returned. .filename Read and execute commands from filename and return. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory con- taining filename. C shell, csh Built-in commands are executed within the C shell. If a built-in command occurs as any component of a pipeline except the last, it is exe- cuted in a subshell. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, csh also uses: : Null command. This command is interpreted, but performs no action. Korn Shell, ksh, Special Commands Input/Output redirection is permitted. Unless otherwise indicated, the output is written on file descriptor 1 and the exit status, when there is no syntax error, is zero. Commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, ksh also uses: * : [ arg ... ] The command only expands parameters. * .file [ arg ..Read the complete file then execute the commands. The commands are executed in the current shell environment. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory containing file. If any arguments arg are given, they become the posi- tional parameters. Otherwise, the positional parameters are unchanged. The exit status is the exit status of the last com- mand executed. the loop termination test. intro(1), alias(1), break(1), cd(1), chmod(1), csh(1), echo(1), exec(1), exit(1), find(1), getoptcvt(1), getopts(1), glob(1), hash(1), his- tory(1), jobs(1), kill(1), ksh(1), let(1), limit(1), login(1), logout(1), newgrp(1), nice(1), nohup(1), print(1), pwd(1), read(1), read- only(1), set(1), sh(1), shift(1), suspend(1), test(1B), time(1), times(1), trap(1), typeset(1), umask(1), wait(1), chdir(2), chmod(2), creat(2), umask(2), getopt(3C), profile(4), environ(5) 29 Jun 2005 shell_builtins(1)