Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming question about empty directories in unix system Post 302505857 by omega666 on Thursday 17th of March 2011 08:20:06 PM
Old 03-17-2011
then how is it posssible that one empty directory has the size 80 while another has the size 1024?

does this have to do with their length of name and inode number?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

I have some question on unix system

Dear all, If I login to a Unix system (general user account), will the unix system generate a history file? If positve, will it stored the IP adress also? Thanks and Regards Penny Li ;) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PennyLi
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

scanning empty directories

Hi, I want to produce a text file representing a list of empty directories on a unix system starting from a specified directory. I hope I explained well my problem. Thanks in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: N065956BM
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix File System performance with large directories

Hi, how does the Unix File System perform with large directories (containing ~30.000 files)? What kind of structure is used for the organization of a directory's content, linear lists, (binary) trees? I hope the description 'Unix File System' is exact enough, I don't know more about the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dive
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help identifying empty directories

Is there a way you can identify directories that are empty? I do not need to remove them, I just need to identify them below a cetain path. I have tried the following already and it returned everything for some reason. #!/bin/sh && set -- . find "$@" -type d -depth -print > dir.txt |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dboard
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Empty directories having different size

$ls -lrt mydir total 12 drwxrwxrwx 2 nobody nobody 512 Aug 8 11:51 tmp drwxrwxrwx 2 nobody nobody 4608 Jan 19 12:20 web.cache $ ls -lrt mydir/web.cache/ total 0 $ ls -lrt mydir/tmp/ total 0 Can anyone explain me the above results? I know the o/p of ls, but this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

identify the empty directories

Hi Wrote the below script to identify the empty directories ,when executing the below showing that directory is not empty but the directories are empty.Please help to identify the empty directories 33 is not empty 33 is not empty 33 is not empty 33 is not empty for file in `find .... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohan705
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove only Empty Directories

I know this one was answered before in forum below - https://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-questions-answers/58210-removing-empty-folders-using-find-command.html But that one is closed & I have a question so here it goes. I want to delete all 2006 files. Now if along with the files, if the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kedar.mehta
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listing non empty directories

Hi Gurus, How to list directories that are non-empty and non-hidden Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinny
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to exclude the empty directories

Hi., I have a script, in which I am processing a files present in the directory types. ls -lrt | grep ^d | grep Dir_type | awk -f '{print $9}' |\ while read dir_name; do #operations done where Dir_type is the pattern in which directories get created. How to filter out empty... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IND123
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Empty Directories

Please help me. How i can find empty directories in solaris?? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: FoDeGe
4 Replies
inode_vxfs(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						     inode_vxfs(4)

NAME
inode_vxfs - format of a VxFS file system inode SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
A VxFS inode is typically 256 bytes in length, but an inode can also be 512 bytes. You specify the inode size with An inode entry has the following format: The mode and type of file. The number of links to the file. The inode owner. The inode group. The size in bytes of the file. Eight bytes are allocated. Time of last access, in format. Time of last modification, in format. Time of last inode change, in format. These flags control the allocation and extension of files: If set, the inode is invalid. Cleared when is run. If set, the file cannot be extended after the current reservation is exceeded. The reservation can be increased by the ioctl, but the file is not automatically extended. If set, the file cannot be extended after the current reservation is exceeded. This flag is typically set because an I/O error occurred while extending a file. Cleared on truncation or when setext is run. If set, the file must be allocated in extents of a fixed size and alignment. If an extent of i_fixextsize blocks aligned on an i_fixextsize boundary cannot be found, then the allocation fails. The alignment is relative to the beginning of the allocation unit. Mapping type. Indicates how to interpret the inode mapping area. Currently there are four supported mapping types: Mapping area is unused. is used for files that have no associated data storage. Because there is no need for either extents or immediate data, the mapping area is unused. Block and character special files, for example, use this organization type. Mapping area consists of an array of 32-bit extent block addresses and sizes. Mapping area itself is a data block. This mapping is referred to as Immediate Inode Data. Mapping area consists of typed-extent structures. Extended inode operation flag area. Extended inode operation data area. This field is a union. The contents are determined by file type. For devices, the following field is supported: The device number of a block or character special device. For directories, the following field is supported: The parent directory inode inumber if the inode is a directory. This replaces the standard ``..'' (dot dot) entry in the first directory block. VxFS does not have explicit ``.'' (dot ) and ``..'' (dot dot) entries. For regular files, the following fields are supported: The number of data blocks reserved for exclusive use by the file (preallocation). A preallocation can be requested using an ioctl. See vxfsio(7). Set when the inode has a fixed extent size. The default is to have a variable extent size allocation policy. A fixed extent size may be specified using ioctl. See vxfsio(7). For structural files, the following fields are supported: (Version 2 and later disk layouts only.) The inode number of the ``matching'' inode. For replicated files, this is the inode of the replica. For extent map reorganization files, this is the inode of the file being reorganized. (Version 2 and later disk layouts only.) The index of the fileset associated with the inode. The number of blocks allocated to the file, including the blocks allocated for indirect address extents. The generation number. A serial number which increments whenever the inode is freed and reallocated. This provides a ``handle'' for stateless servers such as NFS. The number of times the inode metadata is modified. This field is a 64-bit number. The mapping area. This field is a union based on the value of and the file system type. For the VxFS organization type, the following structure is used: The immediate inode data area, (currently 96) bytes in length (see Any directory or symbolic link which is less than or equal to 96 bytes in length is stored directly in the inode. For the VxFS organization type, the following structure is used: Indirect extent size. The size, in blocks, of the indirect data extents in the file. Array of indirect address extents. There are indirect address extents. The indirect address extents are 8192 bytes long. Each indirect address extent may contain up to 2048 extent addresses. The first indirect address extent is for single indirection. With single indirection, each entry in the indirect address extent indicates the starting block number of a data extent. The second indirect address extent is a double indirect address extent. With double indirection, each entry in the indirect address extent indicates the starting block number of a single indirect address extent. An array of structures containing the direct extent addresses and sizes. Up to direct extents are supported. Because there is a variable length extent allocation policy, each direct extent can have a different size. Each structure contains the following elements: Direct extent address. Direct extent size. (Version 2 and later disk layouts.) Indirect attribute inode. Identifies the inode in the attribute fileset that contains indirect attribute references. The remaining bytes of the inode are reserved for extended attribute records. Their format is: length The length of the attribute record. If this is not a multiple of 4 bytes, the start of the next attribute record is found by rounding the length up to a 4 byte boundary. format The format of the data layout of the remainder of the attribute record. Each attribute consists of a class identifying the attribute's administrative domain, a subclass identifying the attribute within the administra- tive domain, and data. The valid record formats are: Extends the immediate data area so that files larger than 96 bytes can be stored directly in the inode. The attribute is stored directly in the inode. The fields in the rest of this record are: class The class of the attribute. subclass The subclass of the attribute. data The attribute data. When attributes are too large to store directly in the inode, each attribute is stored in its own file. lists each attribute along with the inode number correspond- ing to the file in which the attribute is stored. The number of entries in the list is determined by the length of the record. The fields in each entry are: class The class of the attribute. subclass The subclass of the attribute. length The length of the attribute data. This allows attribute operations to check the length of an attribute without reading the attribute inode. inumber The inode number of the file containing the attribute data. The inode is part of the attribute fileset. The attribute records in the inode terminate with a record that has a format of zero (for compatibility with file systems that have the last 80 bytes of all inodes set to NULL). SEE ALSO
setext(1M), stat(2), fs_vxfs(4), vxfsio(7). inode_vxfs(4)