Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Present Working Directory (not the full path) Post 302505812 by Scott on Thursday 17th of March 2011 06:15:56 PM
Old 03-17-2011
Add "historic pre-misconception" (if that's a word) and I think we've cracked it!

Why it was popular in the 1980's (at least it's "inferior" precursor - csh) is fairly clear. Why anyone uses it today is clearly baffling!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Getting present working directory

How can I get the present working directory in unix system using c programming and stored it in a string ?? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: winsonlee
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut the present working directory

how to traverse through each directory (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Reddy482
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting by Full directory path

I have a text file with full list of files with their full path. I wanted to sort it by directory then files then subdirectory by alphabetically. When I used the sort command it doesn't give like what I want. Could somebody help me on this. Here is the ex: This is what I'm getting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: javidraaj
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve directory path from full file path through sh

Hi, I have a file abcd.txt which has contents in the form of full path file names i.e. $home> vi abcd.txt /a/b/c/r1.txt /q/w/e/r2.txt /z/x/c/r3.txt Now I want to retrieve only the directory path name for each row i.e /a/b/c/ /q/w/e/ How to get the same through shell script?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract strings from full path when full path is not fixed

/Path/snowbird9/nrfCompMgrRave1230100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message. /Path/snowbird6/nrfCompMgrRave1220100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message. /Path/snowbird14/nrfCompMgrRave920100920.log.gz:09/20/2010 06:14:51 ERROR Error Message.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirisha
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I get an ls -l to not show the full directory path?

Hey I'm new to the forums here, and I'm seeking help for this script that I'm writing. When I do ls -l of a directory it shows the full pathname for files in it. For example, if the directory is /internet/post/forum/ and the file is topic, it currently shows internet/post/forum/topic. What's the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: unity04
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

$0 doesn't have full directory path

I'm running AIX unix korn shell. If I echo $0, I only get the filename, it does not have the directory name also. So when I do: `dirname $0` it returns a . (meaning current directory). How get $0 to return the full path/filename? Do I need something in my .profile? Thank you. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sboxtops
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all Subdirectories and files with its full path in a parent directory?

How to list all Subdirectories and files with its full path in a parent directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnveslin
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls -l /directory/path | grep -f filter.txt NOT WORKING

Hi, I have been searching all over and cannot find a script or command that simply search or match the filenames listed in a file and match it from a directory. so far, example: cat filter.txt file1.def file2.conf file3.def ls -l /directory | grep -f filter.txt (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolf@=NK
15 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract directory name from the full directory path in UNIX using shell scripting

My input is as below : /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/loyal/IFIND.HELLO.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/triumph/ifind.triumph.txt From the above input I want to extract the file names only . Basically I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: IshuGupta
5 Replies
Devel::GDB::LowLevel(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Devel::GDB::LowLevel(3pm)

NAME
Devel::GDB::LowLevel - Low-level interface for communicating with GDB DESCRIPTION
This module is used internally by Devel::GDB. It handles the low-level I/O of communicating with the GDB process. CONSTRUCTOR
new Spawns a GDB process. Because this class only facilitates communication with GDB (not with the inferior process being debugged), you have to decide what to do with the "STDIN", "STDOUT", and "STDERR" of that process. There are a few options available: * If STDIN is a tty, we can have the inferior process communicate directly with the controlling tty (emulating the default behavior of gdb): $gdb = new Devel::GDB::LowLevel( '-execfile' => $path_to_gdb, '-params' => $extra_gdb_params ); * Or, we can create an "Expect" object to communicate with the inferior process: $gdb = new Devel::GDB::LowLevel( '-create-expect' => 1 ); $expect = $gdb->get_expect_obj(); * Or, we can create our own tty and use that: $gdb = new Devel::GDB::LowLevel( '-use-tty' => '/dev/pts/123' ); METHODS
send Sends a raw line of text to GDB. This should not contain any newlines (they will be stripped). This method only sends a request, and does not wait for a response. get_reader Returns the file handle from which to read GDB responses. get_expect_obj Returns the "Expect" object created in the constructor. Dies if '-create-expect' was not passed to "new". interrupt Send SIGINT to the GDB session, interrupting the inferior process (if any). SEE ALSO
IPC::Open2 AUTHORS
Antal Novak <afn@cpan.org>, Josef Ezra <jezra@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2007 by Antal Novak & Josef Ezra This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself, either Perl version 5.8.8 or, at your option, any later version of Perl 5 you may have available. perl v5.8.8 2008-02-03 Devel::GDB::LowLevel(3pm)