Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Create script to add user and create directory Post 302505799 by pbhound on Thursday 17th of March 2011 05:56:51 PM
Old 03-17-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
It means what it says; permission denied.

Try
Code:
echo $USER
ls -ld /home/timberwolves

to see what permissions the directory has right now and whether it belongs to the right users/groups. It will have to be writable by you for you to create a new directory in it.

This script isn't being run under a different user than you is it?
at the moment no it is not being run under a different user than me. im not sure what my instructor will have us do to run it.

thanks

---------- Post updated at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:53 PM ----------

thank you for pointing out that i needed to change the folder permissions for timberwolves. this fixed my issue.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create file in each user directory

Hi, Im newbie, I wanna to create file in each user directory, how to make that script, maybe someone can give me example, im confusing coz i have to change form one user directory to other Thank U. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleks
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to write script to create directory

Please help. I am the beginner. Don't understand about archive file. How to create a directory for the files from each archive with name of directory which equivalent to the base name of the archive. eg I have file abc.txt. How can I create a directory name abc. Thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snail
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

create a new directory from cgi script

hello. i hav accepted name of directory from user through a form.now i need to create a directory under cgi-bin of that name.I am not able to do so.n help is required (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: raksha.s
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a directory inside root as different user

Hi All, I have directory under /opt/test. The ownership of the test directory is root:root. I have login to the server as test user. I need to have some script to create a directory inside /opt/test. This script will be called as test user. When I try to execute... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
4 Replies

5. Solaris

create user with RWX access to a specific directory in Solaris 10

I need to create a user account for a developer that will allow him rwx access to all resources in a directory. How can I do that? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsander
5 Replies

6. AIX

How to create new user and add group

Hello, I am new in AIX please tell how can i create user and add group in this user for example, i want to create user umair and want to add this user primanry group DBA and secondary group ORACLE,how can i do this please tell in detail Thanks, Umair (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umair
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Unable to create or delete a directory in /usr with root user

Hi All, I am trying to uninstall jdk 1.5 from my Solaris 10 64 bit but some how was not successful.so tried to delete the folder of jdk from /usr but its throughing error as: Unable to remove directory jdk: Read-only file system Even I tried to create a dir in /usr but its not allowing me... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pshah
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a folder under different user directory

Hello All, I have to write a shell script and use it in informatica. The script has to perform below actions: The script gets executed from edw user. Through the script, a DT folder has to be created under edw_sca user. Is this scenario possible through a SHELL script or not. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bghosh
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script cannot create directory and move the file to that directory

I have a script, which is checking if file exists and move it to another directory if then mkdir -p ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly mv report_manual_alloc_rpt_A_I_ASSIGNMENT.${Today}*.csv ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
9 Replies
IPCMK(1)							   User Commands							  IPCMK(1)

NAME
ipcmk - make various IPC resources SYNOPSIS
ipcmk [options] DESCRIPTION
ipcmk allows you to create shared memory segments, message queues, and semaphore arrays. OPTIONS
Resources can be specified with these options: -M, --shmem size Create a shared memory segment of size bytes. The size argument may be followed by the multiplicative suffixes KiB (=1024), MiB (=1024*1024), and so on for GiB, etc. (the "iB" is optional, e.g., "K" has the same meaning as "KiB") or the suffixes KB (=1000), MB (=1000*1000), and so on for GB, etc. -Q, --queue Create a message queue. -S, --semaphore number Create a semaphore array with number of elements. Other options are: -p, --mode mode Access permissions for the resource. Default is 0644. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. SEE ALSO
ipcrm(1), ipcs(1) AUTHOR
Hayden A. James <hayden.james@gmail.com> AVAILABILITY
The ipcmk command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux July 2014 IPCMK(1)