Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Create script to add user and create directory Post 302505790 by Corona688 on Thursday 17th of March 2011 05:44:52 PM
Old 03-17-2011
It means what it says; permission denied.

Try
Code:
echo $USER
ls -ld /home/timberwolves

to see what permissions the directory has right now and whether it belongs to the right users/groups. It will have to be writable by you for you to create a new directory in it.

This script isn't being run under a different user than you is it?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create file in each user directory

Hi, Im newbie, I wanna to create file in each user directory, how to make that script, maybe someone can give me example, im confusing coz i have to change form one user directory to other Thank U. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleks
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to write script to create directory

Please help. I am the beginner. Don't understand about archive file. How to create a directory for the files from each archive with name of directory which equivalent to the base name of the archive. eg I have file abc.txt. How can I create a directory name abc. Thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snail
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

create a new directory from cgi script

hello. i hav accepted name of directory from user through a form.now i need to create a directory under cgi-bin of that name.I am not able to do so.n help is required (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: raksha.s
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a directory inside root as different user

Hi All, I have directory under /opt/test. The ownership of the test directory is root:root. I have login to the server as test user. I need to have some script to create a directory inside /opt/test. This script will be called as test user. When I try to execute... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
4 Replies

5. Solaris

create user with RWX access to a specific directory in Solaris 10

I need to create a user account for a developer that will allow him rwx access to all resources in a directory. How can I do that? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsander
5 Replies

6. AIX

How to create new user and add group

Hello, I am new in AIX please tell how can i create user and add group in this user for example, i want to create user umair and want to add this user primanry group DBA and secondary group ORACLE,how can i do this please tell in detail Thanks, Umair (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umair
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Unable to create or delete a directory in /usr with root user

Hi All, I am trying to uninstall jdk 1.5 from my Solaris 10 64 bit but some how was not successful.so tried to delete the folder of jdk from /usr but its throughing error as: Unable to remove directory jdk: Read-only file system Even I tried to create a dir in /usr but its not allowing me... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pshah
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a folder under different user directory

Hello All, I have to write a shell script and use it in informatica. The script has to perform below actions: The script gets executed from edw user. Through the script, a DT folder has to be created under edw_sca user. Is this scenario possible through a SHELL script or not. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bghosh
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script cannot create directory and move the file to that directory

I have a script, which is checking if file exists and move it to another directory if then mkdir -p ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly mv report_manual_alloc_rpt_A_I_ASSIGNMENT.${Today}*.csv ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
9 Replies
mktrashcan(1)						      General Commands Manual						     mktrashcan(1)

NAME
mktrashcan, rmtrashcan, shtrashcan - Attaches, detaches, or shows a trashcan directory SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mktrashcan trashcan directory... /usr/sbin/rmtrashcan directory... /usr/sbin/shtrashcan directory... OPERANDS
Specifies the directory that contains files that were deleted from attached directories. Whenever you delete a file in the specified directory, the file system automatically moves the file to the trashcan directory. Specifies the directory that you attach to a trashcan directory. DESCRIPTION
The trashcan utilities (mktrashcan and rmtrashcan) enable you to attach or detach an existing directory, which you specify as a trashcan directory, to any number of directories within the same fileset. A trashcan directory stores the files that are deleted with the unlink system call. For instance, you can use the mktrashcan utility to attach a trashcan directory called /usr/trashcan to one or more directories; thereafter, when you delete a file from one of the attached directories, the file system moves the file to the /usr/trashcan directory. Note that when more than one directory shares attachment to a trashcan directory, files with the same file name can overwrite each other in the trashcan directory. If you mistakenly delete a file, use the mv command to return the file from the /usr/trashcan directory to its original directory. When you enter shtrashcan at the system prompt, the system shows the trashcan directory, if one exists, for the directory you specified. It is important that trashcan directories have correct access permissions. If the permissions are too restrictive, then it may be impossi- ble to remove files from the directories that are attached to the trashcan directory. In general, all users and groups that expect to use the trashcan directory need write permission to the directory. If unexpected "permission denied" errors occur when deleting files that are in a directory attached to a trashcan directory, use the chmod command to change the permissions on the trashcan directory. RESTRICTIONS
The directory and trashcan directories must be in the same fileset; however, you can attach the trashcan directory to any directory within the fileset. EXAMPLES
The following example creates and attaches a trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to two directories, /usr/ray and /usr/projects/sql/test, which are in the same fileset. The chmod command adds write permission for all users and groups on the new trashcan directory. % mkdir /usr/trashcan % chmod a+w /usr/trashcan % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/ray /usr/projects/sql/test To attach the trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to all subdirectories in the /usr directory, enter: % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/* New subdirectories that you add beneath the /usr directory are not attached to the trashcan directory until you attach them. Also, the mktrashcan utility distinguishes between directories and files, attaching only directories to the trashcan directory. Note that an attached directory produces an EDUPLICATE_DIRS (-1165) error when /usr/trashcan is itself in the directory path you attach to (as in the previous example). You can ignore this error message. SEE ALSO
advfs(4), mkfset(8), showfsets(8) mktrashcan(1)