Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Create script to add user and create directory Post 302505738 by pbhound on Thursday 17th of March 2011 04:39:29 PM
Old 03-17-2011
Create script to add user and create directory

first off let me introduce myself. My name is Eric and I am new to linux, I am taking an advanced linux administration class and we are tasked with creating a script to add new users that anyone can run, has to check for the existence of a directory. if the directory does not exist then it has to be created. if it doe then it has to just proceed with the new user addition.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:

how do i get this script to be able to create the directory if it does not exist?
or how do i get this script to run as root?
thanks in advance

2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms:
i have the script partially written i have rudimentary if/then/else statement where the first line reads:
Code:
echo "What department are you assigned to?"
read department     # $department
sleep 2
echo "you are assigned to the: $department"
sleep 7
clear

if [ -d /home/timberwolves/$department ]
then 
         echo "directory exists"
         sleep 3
         echo "what is your first name"
         read FirstName    # $FirstName
         sleep 2
         clear
         echo "what is your last name?"
         read LastName     # $LastName
         echo "You entered: $LastName"
         sleep 2
         clear
         echo "Please type your password (must be at least  characters)"
         read password      # $password
         sleep 2
         clear
         echo "The password you chose is: $password"
         sleep 7
         clear
         echo "Your login name will be: $FirstName"
         sleep 2
         clear
         echo "Your home directory will be: /home/timberwolves/$department/$FirstName
          sleep 7
          clear
else
mkdir -p /home/timberwolves/$department
         echo "what is your first name"
         read FirstName    # $FirstName
         sleep 2
         clear
         echo "what is your last name?"
         read LastName     # $LastName
         echo "You entered: $LastName"
         sleep 2
         clear
         echo "Please type your password (must be at least  characters)"
         read password      # $password
         sleep 2
         clear
         echo "The password you chose is: $password"
         sleep 7
         clear
         echo "Your login name will be: $FirstName"
         sleep 2
         clear
         echo "Your home directory will be: /home/timberwolves/$department/$FirstName
          sleep 7
          clear
fi

3. The attempts at a solution (include all code and scripts):
google searches

4. Complete Name of School (University), City (State), Country, Name of Professor, and Course Number (Link to Course):
ECPI college or technology in virginia beach VA, Mr. Blow CIS305 advanced UNIX administration.

we do not have a direct link to the course

Note: Without school/professor/course information, you will be banned if you post here! You must complete the entire template (not just parts of it).

Last edited by Scott; 03-17-2011 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: Added code tags

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create file in each user directory

Hi, Im newbie, I wanna to create file in each user directory, how to make that script, maybe someone can give me example, im confusing coz i have to change form one user directory to other Thank U. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleks
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to write script to create directory

Please help. I am the beginner. Don't understand about archive file. How to create a directory for the files from each archive with name of directory which equivalent to the base name of the archive. eg I have file abc.txt. How can I create a directory name abc. Thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snail
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

create a new directory from cgi script

hello. i hav accepted name of directory from user through a form.now i need to create a directory under cgi-bin of that name.I am not able to do so.n help is required (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: raksha.s
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a directory inside root as different user

Hi All, I have directory under /opt/test. The ownership of the test directory is root:root. I have login to the server as test user. I need to have some script to create a directory inside /opt/test. This script will be called as test user. When I try to execute... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
4 Replies

5. Solaris

create user with RWX access to a specific directory in Solaris 10

I need to create a user account for a developer that will allow him rwx access to all resources in a directory. How can I do that? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsander
5 Replies

6. AIX

How to create new user and add group

Hello, I am new in AIX please tell how can i create user and add group in this user for example, i want to create user umair and want to add this user primanry group DBA and secondary group ORACLE,how can i do this please tell in detail Thanks, Umair (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umair
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Unable to create or delete a directory in /usr with root user

Hi All, I am trying to uninstall jdk 1.5 from my Solaris 10 64 bit but some how was not successful.so tried to delete the folder of jdk from /usr but its throughing error as: Unable to remove directory jdk: Read-only file system Even I tried to create a dir in /usr but its not allowing me... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pshah
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a folder under different user directory

Hello All, I have to write a shell script and use it in informatica. The script has to perform below actions: The script gets executed from edw user. Through the script, a DT folder has to be created under edw_sca user. Is this scenario possible through a SHELL script or not. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bghosh
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script cannot create directory and move the file to that directory

I have a script, which is checking if file exists and move it to another directory if then mkdir -p ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly mv report_manual_alloc_rpt_A_I_ASSIGNMENT.${Today}*.csv ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
9 Replies
SYSTEMD-SUSPEND.SERVICE(8)				      systemd-suspend.service					SYSTEMD-SUSPEND.SERVICE(8)

NAME
systemd-suspend.service, systemd-hibernate.service, systemd-hybrid-sleep.service, systemd-suspend-then-hibernate.service, systemd-sleep - System sleep state logic SYNOPSIS
systemd-suspend.service systemd-hibernate.service systemd-hybrid-sleep.service systemd-suspend-then-hibernate.service /lib/systemd/system-sleep DESCRIPTION
systemd-suspend.service is a system service that is pulled in by suspend.target and is responsible for the actual system suspend. Similarly, systemd-hibernate.service is pulled in by hibernate.target to execute the actual hibernation. Finally, systemd-hybrid-sleep.service is pulled in by hybrid-sleep.target to execute hybrid hibernation with system suspend and pulled in by suspend-then-hibernate.target to execute system suspend with a timeout that will activate hibernate later. Immediately before entering system suspend and/or hibernation systemd-suspend.service (and the other mentioned units, respectively) will run all executables in /lib/systemd/system-sleep/ and pass two arguments to them. The first argument will be "pre", the second either "suspend", "hibernate", "hybrid-sleep", or "suspend-then-hibernate" depending on the chosen action. Immediately after leaving system suspend and/or hibernation the same executables are run, but the first argument is now "post". All executables in this directory are executed in parallel, and execution of the action is not continued until all executables have finished. Note that scripts or binaries dropped in /lib/systemd/system-sleep/ are intended for local use only and should be considered hacks. If applications want to react to system suspend/hibernation and resume, they should rather use the Inhibitor interface[1]. Note that systemd-suspend.service, systemd-hibernate.service, and systemd-hybrid-sleep.service systemd-suspend-then-hibernate.service should never be executed directly. Instead, trigger system sleep states with a command such as "systemctl suspend" or similar. Internally, this service will echo a string like "mem" into /sys/power/state, to trigger the actual system suspend. What exactly is written where can be configured in the "[Sleep]" section of /etc/systemd/sleep.conf or a sleep.conf.d file. See systemd-sleep.conf(5). OPTIONS
systemd-sleep understands the following commands: -h, --help Print a short help text and exit. --version Print a short version string and exit. suspend, hibernate, hybrid-sleep, suspend-then-hibernate Suspend, hibernate, suspend then hibernate, or put the system to hybrid sleep. SEE ALSO
systemd-sleep.conf(5), systemd(1), systemctl(1), systemd.special(7), systemd-halt.service(8) NOTES
1. Inhibitor interface https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/inhibit systemd 237 SYSTEMD-SUSPEND.SERVICE(8)