Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Encrypt and decrypt a string
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Encrypt and decrypt a string Post 302505452 by Corona688 on Thursday 17th of March 2011 02:31:46 AM
Old 03-17-2011
Encrypting a password is useless when you can't keep it encrypted. The instant you decrypt it, it's vulnerable again.

No matter how cryptographically hard they are, the encryption and decryption methods are right there for anyone to see and copy-paste anyway. That just makes it sillier.

chmod will be a much better defense against snooping than a rube goldberg machine, but with some work you might be able to avoid using stored passwords at all, which would be a very good thing. Because:

Retrievably stored passwords are security hot potatoes and to be avoided. They're such a bad idea that sudo, su, ssh, scp, and sftp don't just avoid them, they're all specifically designed to stop you from using them too. You have to use third-party brute-forcing tools like expect to shoehorn stored passwords into them at all. A stored password is an absolute last resort.

Last edited by Corona688; 03-17-2011 at 03:39 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Encrypt & Decrypt a String

Hi Everybody, I have a script that telnet another system. For some reasons, this is should be done by "root", so the root password has been written explicitly in this script, which mean any body read this script will know the root password of the other system. I think the solution is to write... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldowsary
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

encrypt and decrypt password

how do i encrypt and decrypt a password (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanwish
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Decrypt Des file - then encrypt

Help.. I need to decrypt a file that was encrypted using DES 56 Bit. I have the encryption key and the block size used but no idea what utility to use.. I then need to encrypt the file using pgp and another key I have.. againt I dont know what utility to use. I am running solaris 9 .... ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Encrypt and Decrypt script

Dear Experts, I am using one script name :volume.sh and its written in bash shell script. I just want to encrypt the script so that any one else cannot see it. please tell me the commands how to encrypt the script as well as to decrypt it. Regards, SHARY (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shary
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to encrypt and decrypt a file

How to encrypt and decrypt a file using unix Command? Can any one help me? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Encrypt/Decrypt string with rsa keys

Hello, I wanted to know if there was a way to encrypt a string, not a file using openssl and then decrypt it? I cant seem to get it to work. This is what I have been trying but I'm not having much luck. encTxt=`echo "$1" | openssl dgst -sha1 -binary | openssl rsautl -sign -inkey... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjones1105
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Encrypt and Decrypt

I have script for all oracle prod db. I have hard coded the username / password. I need a mechanism to encode and decode the username / password in a shell script. Another challenge is I use the username and password in a Select command for oracle DB. How can call the decrypted... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilugopal
2 Replies

8. Programming

Encrypt and Decrypt file using RIJNDAEL-128

Hi All, Can I use MCRYPT - (RIJNDAEL-128) / CBC mode to encrypt and decrypt a file? I am trying to find some sample C program on internet, which will encrypt and decrypt a file. But was not able to find any thing. Can some help me with the programming. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shre
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Encrypt and decrypt the password in a Shell Script

Hello, I have the following UNIX shell script which connects to the teradata database and executes the SQL Queries. For this, I am passing database name, username and password. I don't want to reveal my password to anyone. So, is there any way that I can encrypt my password and read the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronitreddy
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Encrypt and Decrypt a File with Password

Hello, I have few files on unix which are payroll related and I need them to encrypt with password so others wouldn't see the data. I use ETL tool and would like to know the unix command that does encryption/decryption to use in the ETL. Thank you, Sri (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eskay
3 Replies
seahorse-tool(1)						       GNOME							  seahorse-tool(1)

NAME
seahorse-tool - PGP/GnuPG file encryption for the GNOME Desktop SYNOPSIS
seahorse-tool [ OPTION... ] DESCRIPTION
Seahorse is a GNOME application for managing encryption keys. seahorse-tool allows you to encrypt, decrypt or sign files. It is integrated into the nautilus right-click menu, but can also be used from the command line. OPTIONS
Help options -?, --help Show summary of all options and exit. --usage Display brief usage message and exit. Application options -i FILE, --import FILE Import keys from the FILE. -e FILE, --encrypt FILE Encrypt FILE. -s FILE, --sign FILE Sign FILE with default key. -n FILE, --encrypt-sign FILE Encrypt and sign FILE with default key. -d FILE, --decrypt FILE Decrypt encrypted FILE. -v FILE, --verify FILE Verify signature FILE. -T, --uri-list Read list of URIs on standard in. --version Show version information and exit. -h, --help Show help options. Additional options In addition, the usual GTK+ and GNOME command line options apply. See the output of --help for details. VERSION
This man page describes seahorse version 0.9. BUGS
If you find a bug, please report it at http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=seahorse. AUTHORS
Jacob Perkins <jap1@users.sourceforge.net> Stef Walter <stef@memberwebs.com> Adam Schreiber <sadam@clemson.edu> This man page was originally written by Michael Mende <debian@menole.net> for the Debian system. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001, 2002 Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo Copyright (C) 2002, 2003 Jacob Perkins Copyright (C) 2004, 2006 Stef Walter, Adam Schreiber LICENSE
You are free to distribute this software under the terms of the GNU General Public License. Documentation and help files are covered by GFDL license. SEE ALSO
seahorse-daemon(1), seahorse May 04, 2006 seahorse-tool(1)