Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting mappin strings of two different file and finding the mapped string and then map other fields. Post 302505434 by dsh007 on Thursday 17th of March 2011 01:42:07 AM
Old 03-17-2011
i m using unix operating system( bash)

---------- Post updated at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:46 AM ----------

hey its ok i made it work by myself.....
my code is like this

Code:
awk ' BEGIN { FS="|";
while ( getline < "all_spec.txt" > 0)
   a[$1]=$2
}
{
if($1 in a)
    printf("%s %s\n", $1, a[$1])
} ' sample.txt

but as i said you earlier i am new to UNIX so having a lot of questions in my mind,
and lot of doubts. one of them is like as in normal programming we declare variables
and later use those variables in our function and loops,in the same way i want to declare variable and can use it inside the script.
Like i want to assign my b.txt fields as variable as a= General Practice, b= Family practice
and later can use in the script. Is it possible if it is then help me on
this program how to do this by declaring variables in the above codes.
so rply as soon as possible..................

Last edited by dsh007; 03-18-2011 at 06:04 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a certain string on each line in a file

Hi, I need a script to get every line from a file where there are less then 17 ; on a line. Thank's (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: VODAFUN
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

finding a string in a file

hi all.. I dont know how to search for a string in a file.. I have tried doing.. I did google but didnt get effective answers..my code is as follows: int search(char* filename,const char* username,const char* passwd) { int flag=0; unsigned long fsize=0; unsigned long current=0;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ume1986
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with finding unique string in log file

Shell script help Here is 3 sample lines from a log file <date> INFO <java.com.blah> abcd:ID= user login <date> DEBUG <java.com.blah> <nlah bla> abcd:ID=123 user login <date> INFO <java.com.blah> abcd:ID=3243 user login I want to find unique "ID" from this log... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gubbu
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep a string in the lines between 2 strings of a file

Hi , Please help me with the following problem: I have an xml file with the following lines <cisco:name> <cisco:mdNm>Cisco Device 7500 A Series</cisco:mdNm> <cisco:meNm>10.1.100.19</cisco:meNm> <cisco:ehNm>/shelf=1</cisco:ehNm> <cisco:subname> <cisco:sptp>Cisco PortA... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagirathi
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding files with a certain name string inside of another file.

Hi, I have a very large file that contains a listing of all files on the system. I need to create a listing from that file of all files that start with the following format: s???_*, whereas the '?' represents characters, so the file name begins with an 's' followed by three other characters and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tes218
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding/replacing strings in some files based on a file

Hi, We have a file (e.g. a .csv file, but could be any other format), with 2 columns: the old value and the new value. We need to modify all the files within the current directory (including subdirectories), so find and replace the contents found in the first column within the file, with the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Talkabout
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a string in a file

Hello All, I have a text file, i want to search for a string in it and the string is repeated multiple times in a file i want to get the first occurence of the string in a variable. the content of file is like: I want to grepthe first occurance of "Configuration flow done" and store the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand2308
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding Strings between 2 characters in a file

Hi All, Assuming i have got a file test.dat which has contains as follows: Unix = abc def fgt jug 111 2222 3333 Linux = gggg pppp qqq C# = ccc ffff llll I would like to traverse through the file, get the 1st occurance of "=" and then need to get the sting... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: rtagarra
22 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting string from a File between 2 well known strings.

Hi, I have a file server1.log with following lines. 00002b77 ThreadMonitor W WSVR0605W: Thread "WebContainer : 2" (00000046) has been active for 542865 milliseconds and may be hung. There is/are 3 thread(s) in total in the server that may be hung. I want to find out how many threads are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayeshusa
2 Replies
GET-IAB(1)						      General Commands Manual							GET-IAB(1)

NAME
get-iab - Fetch the arp-scan IAB file from the IEEE website SYNOPSIS
get-iab [options] DESCRIPTION
get-iab fetches the Ethernet IAB file from the IEEE website, and saves it in the format used by arp-scan. The IAB file contains all of the IABs (Individual Address Blocks) that have been registered with IEEE. Each IAB entry in the file speci- fies the first 36-bits of the 48-bit Ethernet hardware address, leaving the remaining 12-bits for use by the registering organisation. For example the IAB entry "0050C2003", registered to Microsoft, applies to any Ethernet hardware address from 00:50:c2:00:30:00 to 00:50:c2:00:3f:ff inclusive. Each IAB assignment represents a total of 2^12 (4,096) Ethernet addresses. Major Ethernet hardware vendors typically use an OUI registration rather than an IAB registration. See get-oui(1) for details. This script can be used to update the arp-scan IAB file from the latest data on the IEEE website. It is relatively rare to see Ethernet addresses from IAB registrations, so the IAB file is not as important as the OUI file. The IAB data is fetched from the URL http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/iab.txt and the output file is saved to the file ieee-iab.txt in the current directory. The URL to fetch the data from can be changed with the -u option, and the output file name can be changed with the -f option. The ieee-iab.txt file that is produced by this script is used by arp-scan to determine the Ethernet card vendor from its hardware address. The directory that arp-scan will look for the ieee-iab.txt file depends on the options used when it was built. If it was built using the default options, then it will look in /usr/local/share/arp-scan. OPTIONS
-h Display a brief usage message and exit. -f <fn> Write the output to the specified file instead of the default ieee-iab.txt. -u <URL> Use the specified URL to fetch the raw IAB data from instead of the default http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/iab.txt -v Display verbose progress messages. FILES
ieee-iab.txt The default output file. EXAMPLES
$ get-iab -v Renaming ieee-iab.txt to ieee-iab.txt.bak Fetching IAB data from http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/iab.txt Fetched 230786 bytes Opening output file ieee-iab.txt 1535 IAB entries written to file ieee-iab.txt NOTES
get-iab is implemented in Perl, so you need to have the Perl interpreter installed on your system to use it. get-iab uses the LWP::Simple Perl module to fetch the data from the IEEE website. You must have this module installed on your system for it to work. This module is available on most distributions, often called libwww-perl. It is also available in source form from CPAN. You can use a proxy server by defining the http_proxy environment variable. AUTHOR
Roy Hills <Roy.Hills@nta-monitor.com> SEE ALSO
arp-scan(1) get-oui(1) arp-fingerprint(1) http://www.nta-monitor.com/wiki/ The arp-scan wiki page. March 30, 2007 GET-IAB(1)