Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers File access time does not change on some files Post 302505327 by Corona688 on Wednesday 16th of March 2011 05:22:16 PM
Old 03-16-2011
Are these files on different partitions, by any chance? It's possible to turn atime's off for certain partitions to increase performance. (i.e. avoid a potential disk write every darn time you read a file Smilie )

This of course depends on your system, which we haven't the faintest idea what it is yet. What is it?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

HPUX list files with access time more than 5 min

Hi, does anyone know how to find files who have the last access time bigger than 5 min ago, in linux i use: find ./ -amin +5 -type f -maxdepth 1 -name "*.*" but in hp-ux the find command doesn't have the -amin option.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvrk
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Access time of a file

I thought that access time of a file is time when the file was run last time (or I read somewhere that it's time when system lookup the file -> but I'm not sure when it really is) How is it exactly? Thank you for help! (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: MartyIX
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to change the access permissions of the files

Hi, I want to change the access permissions of the files whose extension is same.For example *.c but these are inside a directory and inside that other directory is there and it contains the .c files..for example-- So my aim is to search the files under src and change the access permissions... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

need the last access time for a .gz file

i have file named aaaa. The file aaaa was zipped on one particular time. Need to know the command to find out when the file "aaaa" was actually zipped. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: expert
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to get access time of a file upto the precision of seconds?

Hi , How can I get the last access time of a file upto the precesion of seconds in Unix. I cannot use stat as this is not supported. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanus
10 Replies

6. AIX

Want to find the last access time for large group of files at one go

Dear All, I'm working as a DBA and dont have much knowledge at OS level commands.we have requirement that we need find the files which has been last accessed >= apr 2010and also access date <= apr 2010 for a large set of files.Do know some commands likeistat, ls -u.But can anyone provide me the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbanrb
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy all files matching the request and change the extension at the same time

Hi everyone When I'm starting my script I'm giving to it two parameters: script.sh ext1 ext2 I need to copy all files in a directory fitting ext1, to the same folder, with the same names, but with the changed extension to ext2. Till now I've just managed to do it for only 1 file, but I... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: vacuity93
16 Replies

8. Red Hat

File access time issue

Hi, I am facing a weird file access time issue on redHat5.x. I have a program which will scan the files in the NFS system and delete files which are older than 4 days, before deleting files program will print the access time of the file. Some of the files are getting deleted which are not older... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Satyak
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Access time of files and directories

My query please: What I saw how access times of a file and directories work. 1) For a file the access time is the time when I 1st access it after last modification of the file, i.e., if the file is modified at 10 AM and then I access it at 11 AM. After than whenever I access without... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Unsure why access time on a directory change isn't changing

Hello... And thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer me I was trying to work out the differences between displaying modify, access, and change times with the 'ls' command. Everything seems in order when I look at files, but the access time on a directory doesn't seem to change when I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bodisha
4 Replies
cp(1)							      General Commands Manual							     cp(1)

Name
       cp - copy file data

Syntax
       cp [ -f ] [ -i ] [ -p ] file1 file2

cp [ -f ] [ -i ] [ -p ] [ -r ] file... directory

cp [ -f ] [ -i ] [ -p ] [ -r ] directory... directory

Description
       The command copies file1 onto file2.  The mode and owner of file2 are preserved if it already existed; the mode of file1 is used otherwise.
       Note that the command will not copy a file onto itself.

In the second form, one or more files are copied into the directory with their original file names.

In the third form, one or more source directories are copied into the destination directory with their original file names.

Options
       -f   Forces existing destination pathnames to be removed before copying, without prompting for confirmation.  The -i option is  ignored	if
	    the -f option is specified.

-i   Prompts  user  with  the name of file whenever the copy will cause an old file to be overwritten. A yes answer will cause to continue.
	    Any other answer will prevent it from overwriting the file.

-p   Preserves (duplicates) in the copies the modification time, access time, file mode, user ID, and group ID as allowed  by  the  permis-
	    sions of the source files, ignoring the present umask.

-r   Copies  directories.  Entire directory trees, including their subtrees and the individual files they contain, are copied to the speci-
	    fied destination directory. The directory, its subtrees, and the individual files retain their original names. For	example,  to  copy
	    the directory including all of its subtrees and files, into the directory enter the following command:
	    cp -r reports news

See Also
       cat(1), pr(1), mv(1)

cp(1)