Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl Script Not Reading Input Files Correctly Post 302505172 by kooshi on Wednesday 16th of March 2011 11:42:12 AM
Old 03-16-2011
Perl Script Not Reading Input Files Correctly

This is one of the strangest things that's happening to me.
I'm writing a new Perl script that is trying to read a file.
The file is originally in .mof format, but I also saved the contents into a .txt file.

As a simple test, I wrote this:

Code:
#!/user/bin/perl -w
use strict;

#open(NODEFILE, "<nodes.mof");
open(NODEFILE, "<test.txt");
my $count = 0;
while (<NODEFILE>) {
    my $line = $_;
    #chomp($line);
    print "$line";
    if ($count == 3) {
        last;
    }
    $count++;
}
close(NODEFILE);

Whether I open the .mof file or .txt file, I always get this output:
■p r a g m a n a m e s p a c e ( " \ \ \ \ . \ \ R o o t \ \ O p e n v i e w \ \ d a t a " )

i n s t a n c e o f O V _ N o d e G r o u p
{

The result should appear like this:
#pragma namespace("\\\\.\\Root\\Openview\\data")

instance of OV_NodeGroup

So why the heck would the script be putting those spaces when reading the file??

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading Input in a Script

#!/usr/bin/sh echo "Enter reason:" echo "> \c" read $reason $reason >> access.log This doesnt work for me. Can someone tell me how I would read the input from what the person types, and then append that to the log file? Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alwayslearningunix
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk reading 2 input files but not getting expected value

I'm reading 2 input files but not getting expected value. I should get an alpha value on file_1_data but not getting any. Please help. >cat test6.sh awk ' FILENAME==ARGV { file_1_data=$0; print "----- 1 Line " NR " -----" $1; next } FILENAME==ARGV { file_2_data=$0; print "----- 2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pdtak
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading specific contents from 1 input files and appending it to another input file

Hi guys, I am new to AWK and unix scripting. Please see below my problem and let me know if anyone you can help. I have 2 input files (example given below) Input file 2 is a standard file (it will not change) and we have to get the name (second column after comma) from it and append it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sksahu
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading input files

Okay, so I've looked on here and found some similar things, but not exactly what I am looking for. I am working on creating a script that can back up some files, based on the contents of another file - the configuration file. First file contains the files to back up - we'll call this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pdxwarrior
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

write a perl script or kornshell reading a two files and outputting to comma format

Hello Can someone help me to write a perl script or kornshell reading a two files and outputting to comma format. Here is the two files listofdisks.txt id, diskname, diskgroup, diskisze(GB), FC 1, CN34, GRP1, 30, FC_CN34 2, CN67, GRP5, 19, 4, VD1, GRP4, 23, FC_VD1 6, CF_D1, ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: deiow
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl how to exit a while loop and quit reading the input file

I am reading a file using While loop while <FILE> { $_ = <FILE>; process data... } I would like to quit reading the file once I encounter a String pattern. How do i do it. is it if (/SUMMARY/) { last; } I am having problems with uninitialized value in pattern... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: subhap
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with reading two input files in awk

Hello, I'm trying to write an awk program that reads two files inputs. example, file 1: 0.00017835 0.000176738 0.00018811 0.000189504 0.000188155 0.000180065 0.000178991 0.000178252 0.000182513 file 2: 1.7871769E-05 1.5139576E-16 1.5140196E-16 1.5139874E-16 1.7827407E-04 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joseamck
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading CLI input for script

I've always written scripts where the user executes the script and I prompt them for what they want to do. But I'm trying to write a script where root executes the script 'lock' or its hard-link 'unlock' and the script will passwd -l or passwd -u an account depending on the choice. What would... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ADay2Long
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input not saving correctly in both files

If the user inputs two variants separated by a comma, the below command is supposed to write both variants to the GJ-53.txt and then to out.txt. Both are written to the GJ-53.txt, however only one is written to out.txt and I'm not sure why. Thank you :). gjb2() { printf "\n\n" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
1 Replies

10. Open Source

Splitting files using awk and reading filename value from input data

I have a process that requires me to read data from huge log files and find the most recent entry on a per-user basis. The number of users may fluctuate wildly month to month, so I can't code for it with names or a set number of variables to capture the data, and the files are large so I don't... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbatte1
7 Replies
Locale::Script(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 Locale::Script(3)

NAME
Locale::Script - standard codes for script identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Script; $script = code2script('phnx'); # 'Phoenician' $code = script2code('Phoenician'); # 'Phnx' $code = script2code('Phoenician', LOCALE_CODE_NUMERIC); # 115 @codes = all_script_codes(); @scripts = all_script_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Script" module provides access to standards codes used for identifying scripts, such as those defined in ISO 15924. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 15924 four-letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying scripts. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $script = code2script('phnx','alpha'); $script = code2script('phnx',LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha, LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA This is a set of four-letter (capitalized) codes from ISO 15924 such as 'Phnx' for Phoenician. It also includes additions to this set included in the IANA language registry. The Zxxx, Zyyy, and Zzzz codes are not used. This is the default code set. num, LOCALE_SCRIPT_NUMERIC This is a set of three-digit numeric codes from ISO 15924 such as 115 for Phoenician. ROUTINES
code2script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) script2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) script_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_script_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_script_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Script::rename_script ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Script::delete_script_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Script::rename_script_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/ Home page for ISO 15924. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-06-03 Locale::Script(3)