Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Wordpad file in solaris
Operating Systems Solaris Wordpad file in solaris Post 302504965 by fugitive on Tuesday 15th of March 2011 09:15:41 PM
Old 03-15-2011
I did try

Code:
1.  saving the file in unicode txt document
2.  copy the file to vi 
3.  using cat -vte

and none helped , the problem is that i have to get the o/p from the file and sort it and then put it into different file but since this file has several dozen columns its not opening properly in vi , cat as it opens in wordpad or txtpad.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Wordpad or Notepad?

I am new to using UNIX and after uploading a new script to UNIX from Windows using FTP, the script doesn't always work. It seems this depends on the text editor I use and the transfer type. I understand all scripts should be transferred using ASCII, but can you advise which is the best text editor... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Heidi.Ebbs
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unzipping a file in Solaris - Issue with xls file

Hi, I have an excel file generated by system in windows. I am zipping it, transfering to unix and unzipping there. But i'm getting below output while unzipping. $ /usr/bin/unzip -a 123.zip -d . Archive: 123.zip inflating: ./123/Index.xls When i copy this unzipped xls file to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaykumarb
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Open .z file on solaris

Hello Admins; Anybody can suggest on how to open ".z" files on solaris. Thanks (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
16 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print excel file / csv file in solaris server ?

Hi, I have to print a excel file in solaris server. I am using lexmark printer with post script printer driver . But the problem is when i am using " lp -d <printer name> <somefile name.xls>" command it is not printing correctly. but for pdf file using the same command it printing correctly. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sambuddha
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris :regarding /etc/shadow file

what does the last column in /etc/shadow file indicate?? i read man page,it tells its FLAG..but i am not able to understand exactly why its there :confused: thanks in advance, shekhar (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_4_u
4 Replies

6. Solaris

dual boot solaris/solaris zfs file system

Hi, I am running into a some problems creating a dual boot system of 2 solaris instances using ZFS file system and I was wondering if someone can help me out. First some back ground. I have been asked to change the file system of our server from UFS to ZFS. Currently we are using Solaris... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: estammis
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Solaris file system

Hi, I have not worked on Solaris 10 that much. Need some help with this. I can't seem where the file or how the file systems are mounted. Please see the /etcvfstab below. more vfstab #device device mount FS fsck mount mount #to mount to fsck ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
3 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)