Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming how exactly does pclose work in C? Post 302504929 by lilezek on Tuesday 15th of March 2011 07:25:27 PM
Old 03-15-2011
It is easy, if no brackets are present, it means it only executes one instruction (or block) just after that line. That means:

Code:
for a hundred of times
{
     cout << "foo";
     cout << "bar" << endl;
}

You will see 100 times foobar

Code:
for a hundred of times
      cout << "foo";
cout << "bar" << endl;

You'll see 100 times foo and once bar at the end.

and:

Code:
for (last = NULL, cur = pidlist; cur; last = cur, cur = cur->next)

Means:

At start, we define last to be NULL and cur to be pidlist.
The for loop will continue while cur is != 0, that is, while (bool)cur is true.

At end of EACH LOOP, it defines last to be cur, and cur to be the next member of cur.

This is an usual way to loop through an structure of nodes. A node is an structure that knows who structure is next and who is last.

So the loop starts on cur, goes ->next, goes ->next, and ->next... until cur = cur->next is NULL. That is, there is no next after this.

I hope that is a bit helpful for you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script doesn't work, but commands inside work

Howdie everyone... I have a shell script RemoveFiles.sh Inside this file, it only has two commands as below: rm -f ../../reportToday/temp/* rm -f ../../report/* My problem is that when i execute this script, nothing happened. Files remained unremoved. I don't see any error message as it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cheongww
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

pclose returning -1

Hi all, In my application i am trying to select some text & then give it to print. for this i am opening a stream using popen & then later closing using pclose. Now this is working fine in my environment (solaris) but the pclose function is failing at my clients m/c. Even though print is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimishm123
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cant get this to work

whoami | grep < $1 | echo $1 trying to write a script that finds out who the user is and then takes occurences of that username from a file that is passed as an argument and then displays it (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: iago
6 Replies

4. Linux

How does it work?

Can anyone explain how Graphic LCD (CSTN / STN) work in Unix... From Graphic file thro driver code to display....? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nat123
1 Replies

5. Linux

Come and work for me! (UK)

********nothing too see here!!!****** (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TonyChapman
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls -d does not work

Hi falks, I need to dispaly a list of only directories . As it written in the manual ,the command to do it is 'ls -d'. When i issue 'ls -d' i'm getting: tornado.orca.ent:DB10g :/home/oracle/Create_Database > ls -d . Is anyone have any idea why id does not display directories ,or maybe... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

popen and pclose solved

Hi I am trying to use popen function with wrtie option to give inputs to ftp command. #include "stdio.h" int main(int argv ,char *argc) { int size=0; char *buf; FILE *fp; fp = popen("ftp","w"); while(getline(&buf,&size,stdin) != -1) write(fp,buf);... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumaran_5555
0 Replies

8. IP Networking

NIC will not work, but it did work.

I have a client machine that was built and loaded with SCO UNIX 2.1.3, (yes it is old). The machine worked fine on the closed network that I tested on in my shop. I then had to change it to the network that it would be connected to. Below is the host file, router and subnet mask file that I usually... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: NC user
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

My script work on Linux but not work in sunos.

My script work on Linux but not work in sun os. my script. logFiles="sentLog1.log sentLog2.log" intial_time="0 0" logLocation="/usr/local/tomcat/logs/" sleepTime=600 failMessage=":: $(tput bold)Log not update$(tput rmso) = " successMessage="OK" arr=($logFiles)... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
7 Replies

10. IP Networking

Discussion at work, would a router work pluging a cable in wan1 and lan1?

hi all. and sorry for the random question, but this sparkled a raging flame-war at work and i want more points of view situation a router, with linux of some sort, dhcp client requesting for ip in wan1 (as usual with wan ports) dhcp server listening in lan1, and assigning ip (as usual... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: broli
9 Replies
isalist(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        isalist(1)

NAME
isalist - display the native instruction sets executable on this platform SYNOPSIS
isalist DESCRIPTION
isalist prints the names of the native instruction sets executable on this platform on the standard output, as returned by the SI_ISALIST command of sysinfo(2). The names are space-separated and are ordered in the sense of best performance. That is, earlier-named instruction sets may contain more instructions than later-named instruction sets; a program that is compiled for an earlier-named instruction sets will most likely run faster on this machine than the same program compiled for a later-named instruction set. Programs compiled for instruction sets that do not appear in the list will most likely experience performance degradation or not run at all on this machine. The instruction set names known to the system are listed in isalist(5). These names may or may not match predefined names or compiler options in the C language compilation system, ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
optisa(1), uname(1), sysinfo(2), attributes(5), isalist(5) SunOS 5.10 25 Jul 1997 isalist(1)