Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming how exactly does pclose work in C? Post 302504901 by lilezek on Tuesday 15th of March 2011 05:41:23 PM
Old 03-15-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by man pclose
The pclose() function waits for the associated process to terminate and
returns the exit status of the command as returned by wait4(2).
Quote:
Originally Posted by man wait4
The wait3() and wait4() system calls are similar to waitpid(2), but
additionally return resource usage information about the child in the
structure pointed to by rusage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by man waitpid
All of these system calls (wait, waitpid, waitid...) are used to wait for state changes in a child
of the calling process, and obtain information about the child whose
state has changed. A state change is considered to be: the child ter‐
minated; the child was stopped by a signal; or the child was resumed by
a signal. In the case of a terminated child, performing a wait allows
the system to release the resources associated with the child; if a
wait is not performed, then the terminated child remains in a "zombie"
state (see NOTES below).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script doesn't work, but commands inside work

Howdie everyone... I have a shell script RemoveFiles.sh Inside this file, it only has two commands as below: rm -f ../../reportToday/temp/* rm -f ../../report/* My problem is that when i execute this script, nothing happened. Files remained unremoved. I don't see any error message as it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cheongww
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

pclose returning -1

Hi all, In my application i am trying to select some text & then give it to print. for this i am opening a stream using popen & then later closing using pclose. Now this is working fine in my environment (solaris) but the pclose function is failing at my clients m/c. Even though print is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimishm123
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cant get this to work

whoami | grep < $1 | echo $1 trying to write a script that finds out who the user is and then takes occurences of that username from a file that is passed as an argument and then displays it (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: iago
6 Replies

4. Linux

How does it work?

Can anyone explain how Graphic LCD (CSTN / STN) work in Unix... From Graphic file thro driver code to display....? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nat123
1 Replies

5. Linux

Come and work for me! (UK)

********nothing too see here!!!****** (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TonyChapman
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls -d does not work

Hi falks, I need to dispaly a list of only directories . As it written in the manual ,the command to do it is 'ls -d'. When i issue 'ls -d' i'm getting: tornado.orca.ent:DB10g :/home/oracle/Create_Database > ls -d . Is anyone have any idea why id does not display directories ,or maybe... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

popen and pclose solved

Hi I am trying to use popen function with wrtie option to give inputs to ftp command. #include "stdio.h" int main(int argv ,char *argc) { int size=0; char *buf; FILE *fp; fp = popen("ftp","w"); while(getline(&buf,&size,stdin) != -1) write(fp,buf);... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumaran_5555
0 Replies

8. IP Networking

NIC will not work, but it did work.

I have a client machine that was built and loaded with SCO UNIX 2.1.3, (yes it is old). The machine worked fine on the closed network that I tested on in my shop. I then had to change it to the network that it would be connected to. Below is the host file, router and subnet mask file that I usually... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: NC user
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

My script work on Linux but not work in sunos.

My script work on Linux but not work in sun os. my script. logFiles="sentLog1.log sentLog2.log" intial_time="0 0" logLocation="/usr/local/tomcat/logs/" sleepTime=600 failMessage=":: $(tput bold)Log not update$(tput rmso) = " successMessage="OK" arr=($logFiles)... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
7 Replies

10. IP Networking

Discussion at work, would a router work pluging a cable in wan1 and lan1?

hi all. and sorry for the random question, but this sparkled a raging flame-war at work and i want more points of view situation a router, with linux of some sort, dhcp client requesting for ip in wan1 (as usual with wan ports) dhcp server listening in lan1, and assigning ip (as usual... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: broli
9 Replies
WAIT4(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  WAIT4(2)

NAME
wait3, wait4 - wait for process to change state, BSD style SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/time.h> #include <sys/resource.h> #include <sys/wait.h> pid_t wait3(int *status, int options, struct rusage *rusage); pid_t wait4(pid_t pid, int *status, int options, struct rusage *rusage); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): wait3(): _BSD_SOURCE || _XOPEN_SOURCE >= 500 || _XOPEN_SOURCE && _XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED wait4(): _BSD_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
These functions are obsolete; use waitpid(2) or waitid(2) in new programs. The wait3() and wait4() system calls are similar to waitpid(2), but additionally return resource usage information about the child in the structure pointed to by rusage. Other than the use of the rusage argument, the following wait3() call: wait3(status, options, rusage); is equivalent to: waitpid(-1, status, options); Similarly, the following wait4() call: wait4(pid, status, options, rusage); is equivalent to: waitpid(pid, status, options); In other words, wait3() waits of any child, while wait4() can be used to select a specific child, or children, on which to wait. See wait(2) for further details. If rusage is not NULL, the struct rusage to which it points will be filled with accounting information about the child. See getrusage(2) for details. RETURN VALUE
As for waitpid(2). ERRORS
As for waitpid(2). CONFORMING TO
4.3BSD. SUSv1 included a specification of wait3(); SUSv2 included wait3(), but marked it LEGACY; SUSv3 removed it. NOTES
Including <sys/time.h> is not required these days, but increases portability. (Indeed, <sys/resource.h> defines the rusage structure with fields of type struct timeval defined in <sys/time.h>.) On Linux, wait3() is a library function implemented on top of the wait4() system call. SEE ALSO
fork(2), getrusage(2), sigaction(2), signal(2), wait(2), signal(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2012-09-23 WAIT4(2)