Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: find a user on the system
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting find a user on the system Post 302504895 by icelated on Tuesday 15th of March 2011 05:24:02 PM
Old 03-15-2011
thank you mirni

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

user is not able to FTP to system.

Helo, I have created one group called RBAC.(roll back access control) Now when I created user of RBAC its entry in /etc/passwd file is given below: roleadm:x:120:109:RBAC User:/home/pds_RBAC:/bin/false I have keep at the end /bin/false because I dont want to give direct login to the user... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
2 Replies

2. Solaris

A strange user appears in my quotas and I can't find it in my system

Hello, I am running a Solaris 8 system. I Have encountered that each time I ask the system to report to me the users who have or are about to exceed their quota limit for disk usage, a strange number appears in a user name, it does not appear in my /etc/group or in my /etc/passwd files The user... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: lzcool
13 Replies

3. Solaris

diff b/w /etc/system and user profile..

Hi Everybody, Can somebody tell me the difference between /etc/system and user profile???? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tirupathiraju_t
2 Replies

4. Solaris

add administrator user to system

Hello I have a new job and I need change the last user administrator, I dont know if is easier change some things about this user or add my user in the group with every permission, how can I do it. I dont know which is the group. I think is no only useradd en after modify /etc/passwd. Tank... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: cata
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the user with less number of files in the system

Good morning everybody, I'm using Minix and I want to find the user with less number of files in the system I have tried this solution: #! /bin/sh indice=0 listaCut=$(cut -f 3 -d : /etc/passwd) for USER in $listaCut; do cont=0 listaFind=$(find / -user "${USER}" -type -f) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Guccio
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find user owner of the most recently file in the system

Good evening everybody, I have to find the user owner of the most recently file in the system How can I do? :confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Guccio
5 Replies

7. BSD

single user mode under system v

Hello! I am new to the forum and I need help on restoring root user's password or access the form of single user mode under operating system very long-standing family bsd - Unix system V I think it's also called srv4. I managed to enter the owner of IPL, and a moment after the rise of system... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hmalool
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

what would a script include to find CPU's %system time high and user time high?

Hi , I am trying to :wall: my head while scripting ..I am really new to this stuff , never did it before :( . how to find cpu's system high time and user time high in a script?? thanks , help would be appreciated ! :) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushwey
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to know which user is messing up with the system?

Hello, In our environment some users mess up with the system ( install / uninstall ) software.. unfortunately the root is open to several users (several of them have sudo access) How to track which user is trying to do this ( I'd like to know which user and what ipaddress. ) Experts please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find if a User exist if not create user

What I'm trying to do is write a script in Perl to find a user and if that user exist it would print "User Exist, Pls Try Again". If The user doesn't exist I'm able to create a user with a password. Any suggestions? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoBoyGo
3 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)