Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting complex if statement syntax without using 'if ..' keyword in ksh. Post 302504839 by kchinnam on Tuesday 15th of March 2011 02:51:28 PM
Old 03-15-2011
Thaks hergp, that is what I am looking for.. I was wondering what makes my code fail, now I found answer for it.

Short-cut syntax for 'if' construct is really very un-safe and does not replace standard structure. God forbid a un-expected issue makes your last statement in if condition fail, it would cause control go into else part. If its doing a critical work in Production, you will go nuts as to what hit this logic :-)!

Does any one dispute my conclusions? If not stop using short-cut 'if' construct in business critical programs..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confirming Syntax - IF statement.

Hi All, Has been a while since I was last on, so I hope everyone has been doing fine. ;) Would like to know if the below IF statement syntax is correct for a ksh environment. It's been pushed into live as someone had deleted the development copy(!); not withstanding that, the statement now... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error on if statement

Hi, Can you please help me with this one: I write an "if" statement, something like this: if then echo "big file" else echo "normal file" and I get an error: `'then is not expected Thanks in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: apenkov
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl : semi complex if statement question

Hi there I am trying to write an if statement in perl that will return "SUCCESS" if either of these conditions are true a) if $changes is greater than 5 AND the $force flag is set to 1 OR b) if $changes is greater than 0 AND $changes is less than 6 #!/usr/bin/perl -w my $force =... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if statement code syntax

Hi, can someone please tell me what is wrong with this code? I just want it to check if the file size is greater than 2000kb. if Thanks! ---------- Post updated at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:21 PM ---------- I should probably post the full code: #!/bin/sh... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bengel
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Complex If statement

can anyone please explain my below statement, i am confused. if || \ || \ || \ || then (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kd09714
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

A complex sed statement

I have following requirement. Say, my text file contains following patterns {2010501005|XXGpvertex|9|0|17|0|{|{30100001|XXparameter_set|@@@@{{30001002|XXparameter|!prototype_path|$AB_COMPONENTS/Sort/Sort.mpc|3|2|Pf$|@{0|}} }}@0|@315000|78500|335000|99000|114000|87000|17|And the Sort|Ab... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shell_Learner
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with complex find syntax

I need to modify the find command below to exclude the output of the directory /usr/UDPM/PerfMgmt/shmlck find / \( -fstype ctfs -o -fstype mntfs -o -fstype objfs -o -fstype proc -o ! local \) -prune -o -type f -perm -0002 -print 2>/dev/null I have tried many iterations and placement of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: interesting?
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with if statement syntax

Hi, Is there a way to compare the value in if condition with a list of values. eg . if ] then echo "it's a mammal" else echo "its not" fi Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: neil.k
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[ksh] finding last file with keyword in it

Hi, In short : I have several log files and I need to find the last file with a certain keyword in it. # ls -1tr logs log_hostX.Jan01_0100.gz log_hostX.Jan01_0105.gz log_hostX.Jan01_0110.gz log_hostX.Jan01_0115.gz log_hostX.Jan01_0120.gz log_hostX.Jan01_0125.gz log_hostX.Jan01_0130.gz... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Syntax for if statement

I'm new to unix and the command line and am trying to learn different commands. I have a file (teledir.txt) that contains a name and phone number for 3 different people. I am writing a script that is to take two positional parameters and I typed out how it should behave: if <name and number... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Eric7giants
1 Replies
Ns_Master(3aolserver)					   AOLserver Library Procedures 				     Ns_Master(3aolserver)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Ns_MasterLock, Ns_MasterUnlock - Enter and leave the single master critical section lock SYNOPSIS
#include "ns.h" void Ns_MasterLock(void) void Ns_MasterUnlock(void) _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The single master critical section lock is used throughout the core server to protect portions of code from being run by more than one thread at a time. These are convenience functions which actually make calls to Ns_CsEnter and Ns_CsLeave to perform the locking and unlock- ing function. You should not use these functions in your modules. To protect critical sections in your modules you should create and initialize your own named locks, then wrap your critical sections with calls to Ns_CsEnter and Ns_CsLeave. Ns_MasterLock() Enter the single master lock. The thread that holds this lock is guaranteed exclusive access to the section of code that follows the call to Ns_MasterLock. Other threads that attempt to enter the master critical section while another thread owns the master lock will block until the owning thread releases the master lock. Be extremely careful with code you place within the master critical section. If the thread that owns the master lock blocks for any reason while in the master critical section, other threads that need to enter that section of code will block until the master lock is released. Ns_MasterUnlock() Leave the single master critical section. The thread that owns the lock must release it after the critical section of code has com- pleted so that other threads may execute the critical section code. SEE ALSO
nsd(1), info(n), Ns_CsEnter(3), Ns_CsLeave(3) KEYWORDS
AOLserver 4.0 Ns_Master(3aolserver)