Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting complex if statement syntax without using 'if ..' keyword in ksh. Post 302504839 by kchinnam on Tuesday 15th of March 2011 02:51:28 PM
Old 03-15-2011
Thaks hergp, that is what I am looking for.. I was wondering what makes my code fail, now I found answer for it.

Short-cut syntax for 'if' construct is really very un-safe and does not replace standard structure. God forbid a un-expected issue makes your last statement in if condition fail, it would cause control go into else part. If its doing a critical work in Production, you will go nuts as to what hit this logic :-)!

Does any one dispute my conclusions? If not stop using short-cut 'if' construct in business critical programs..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confirming Syntax - IF statement.

Hi All, Has been a while since I was last on, so I hope everyone has been doing fine. ;) Would like to know if the below IF statement syntax is correct for a ksh environment. It's been pushed into live as someone had deleted the development copy(!); not withstanding that, the statement now... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error on if statement

Hi, Can you please help me with this one: I write an "if" statement, something like this: if then echo "big file" else echo "normal file" and I get an error: `'then is not expected Thanks in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: apenkov
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl : semi complex if statement question

Hi there I am trying to write an if statement in perl that will return "SUCCESS" if either of these conditions are true a) if $changes is greater than 5 AND the $force flag is set to 1 OR b) if $changes is greater than 0 AND $changes is less than 6 #!/usr/bin/perl -w my $force =... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if statement code syntax

Hi, can someone please tell me what is wrong with this code? I just want it to check if the file size is greater than 2000kb. if Thanks! ---------- Post updated at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:21 PM ---------- I should probably post the full code: #!/bin/sh... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bengel
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Complex If statement

can anyone please explain my below statement, i am confused. if || \ || \ || \ || then (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kd09714
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

A complex sed statement

I have following requirement. Say, my text file contains following patterns {2010501005|XXGpvertex|9|0|17|0|{|{30100001|XXparameter_set|@@@@{{30001002|XXparameter|!prototype_path|$AB_COMPONENTS/Sort/Sort.mpc|3|2|Pf$|@{0|}} }}@0|@315000|78500|335000|99000|114000|87000|17|And the Sort|Ab... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shell_Learner
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with complex find syntax

I need to modify the find command below to exclude the output of the directory /usr/UDPM/PerfMgmt/shmlck find / \( -fstype ctfs -o -fstype mntfs -o -fstype objfs -o -fstype proc -o ! local \) -prune -o -type f -perm -0002 -print 2>/dev/null I have tried many iterations and placement of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: interesting?
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with if statement syntax

Hi, Is there a way to compare the value in if condition with a list of values. eg . if ] then echo "it's a mammal" else echo "its not" fi Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: neil.k
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[ksh] finding last file with keyword in it

Hi, In short : I have several log files and I need to find the last file with a certain keyword in it. # ls -1tr logs log_hostX.Jan01_0100.gz log_hostX.Jan01_0105.gz log_hostX.Jan01_0110.gz log_hostX.Jan01_0115.gz log_hostX.Jan01_0120.gz log_hostX.Jan01_0125.gz log_hostX.Jan01_0130.gz... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Syntax for if statement

I'm new to unix and the command line and am trying to learn different commands. I have a file (teledir.txt) that contains a name and phone number for 3 different people. I am writing a script that is to take two positional parameters and I typed out how it should behave: if <name and number... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Eric7giants
1 Replies
CUT(1)							      General Commands Manual							    CUT(1)

NAME
cut - select out columns of a file SYNOPSIS
cut [ -b | -c] list [file...] cut -f list [-d delim] [ -s] OPTIONS
-b Cut specified bytes -c Select out specific characters -d Change the column delimiter to delim -f Select out specific fields that are separated by the -i Runs of delimiters count as one -s Suppres lines with no delimiter characters, when used EXAMPLES
cut -f 2 file # Extract field 2 cut -c 1-2,5 file # Extract character columns 1, 2, and 5 cut -c 1-5,7- file # Extract all columns except 6 DESCRIPTION
[file...]" delimiter character ( see delim)" with the -f option. Lines with no delimiters are passwd through untouched" Cut extracts one or more fields or columns from a file and writes them on standard output. If the -f flag is used, the fields are sepa- rated by a delimiter character, normally a tab, but can be changed using the -d flag. If the -c flag is used, specific columns can be specified. The list can be comma or BLANK separated. The -f and -c flags are mutually exclusive. Note: The POSIX1003.2 standard requires the option -b to cut out specific bytes in a file. It is intended for systems with multi byte characters (e.g. kanji), since MINIX uses only one byte characters, this option is equivalent to -c. For the same reason, the option -n has no effect and is not listed in this man- ual page. SEE ALSO
sed(1), awk(9). CUT(1)