Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting IP address to decimal format conversion Post 302504805 by fpmurphy on Tuesday 15th of March 2011 01:11:51 PM
Old 03-15-2011
You can also calculate the decimal equivalent of an IP4 address using shell bit arithmetic. For example
Code:
#!/bin/ksh93

[[ $# != 1 ]] && {
   echo "Usage: $0 ipaddress"
   exit 1
}

SaveIFS=$IFS
IFS="."
typeset -a IParr=($1)
IFS=$SaveIFS

typeset -i2 ip1=${IParr[0]}
typeset -i2 ip2=${IParr[1]}
typeset -i2 ip3=${IParr[2]}
typeset -i2 ip4=${IParr[3]}

typeset -ui2 d=$(( (ip1 << 24) | (ip2 << 16) | (ip3 << 8) | ip4 ))

print "Inputted IP$ address: $((ip1)).$((ip2)).$((ip3)).$((ip4))"
print "   Binary equivalent: $d"
print "  Decimal equivalent: $((d))"

Code:
$ ./example 172.16.112.100
Inputted IP$ address: 172.16.112.100
   Binary equivalent: 2#10101100000100000111000001100100
  Decimal equivalent: 2886758500
$

This User Gave Thanks to fpmurphy For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Decimal to Hexadecimal conversion

Hi frnds :) I need a small help... I have a very long file containing 20 digits decimal number which i want to convert into the corresponding 16 digit hexadecimal values. File looks like.... 11908486672755551741 05446378739602232559 04862605079740156652 . . . I tried the script for i... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanand420
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

format decimal in ksh

hi all, in ksh, how do i format a decimal number (e.g 3381.19) to integer (e.g 3381). This number is average time response for server in millisec and i wanted to display it in a more readable format i.e in seconds without any decimals. thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Decimal format

Hello Friends, I have a file with below format... 1234,Hary,102.55 4567,Maria,250.40 78942,suzan,261.60 48965,Harun,179.32 And I want to check the last column. If the decimal value of the last column is below 50, I need that column else ignore that column. Can anyone help me out? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mziaullah
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with ascii to decimal conversion

Hi, Can anyone please help me ascci to decimal conversion in bash I have a file which contains stream of numbers like this,these are ascci values 729711810132973278105991013268971213233 I want to covert it to its actual value like upper code's decimal is "Have a Nice Day!" ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunilmenhdiratt
15 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Decimal to hex conversion

Dear All PROs Thanks in advance need a shell for Decimal to hex conversion input file (decimal values) 65,5,48,66,133,131,118,47 65,5,48,66,133,131,83,63 . . desire output should be (Hex value)... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: The_Archer
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

NAWK conversion of hexadecimal input to decimal output via printf, I am close I can feel it

I have searched and the answers I have found thus far have led me to this point, so I feel I am just about there. I am trying to convert a column of hexadecimal to decimal values so that I can filter out via grep just the data I want. I was able to pull my original 3 character hex value and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: PCGameGuy
10 Replies

7. IP Networking

IP address to host name conversion

hi, i want to get the hostname for the specified IP address. # host www.google.com www.google.com has address 173.194.69.104 www.google.com has address 173.194.69.105 www.google.com has address 173.194.69.106 www.google.com has address 173.194.69.147 www.google.com has address... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kavitha rao
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date conversion from 24 hr format to 12 hr format

hi i want to convert date procured from sone operation which will be in 24hr format to 12 hr format displaying AM and PM # date -d @1362545068 Tue Mar 5 23:44:28 EST 2013 # this Tue Mar 5 23:44:28 EST 2013 i want to convert it so that output is as below Tue... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Decimal conversion number of the form x.xx to 0x.xx, sed?

Hello I have a file of the form ... num 0.12 num num num 25.53 num num num 7.82 num num ...... and I want to convert the 2nd field of each line adding a "0" at the numbers >= 0 and < 10 so the output will have the form: ... num 00.12 num num num 25.53 num num num 07.82 num... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: phaethon
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print hex Ip address in decimal format inside awk script

Hi to all, May someone help me with the following. The awk script below is part of a bigger awk script, and this part attempts to print an Ip address that is in hex format in decimal format. I'm trying with following code but I'm getting 0.0.0.0 and the correct answer is 192.168.140.100 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
9 Replies
typeset(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        typeset(1)

NAME
typeset, whence - shell built-in functions to set/get attributes and values for shell variables and functions SYNOPSIS
typeset [ +- HLRZfilrtux [n]] [ name [ = value]]... whence [-pv] name... DESCRIPTION
typeset sets attributes and values for shell variables and functions. When typeset is invoked inside a function, a new instance of the variables name is created. The variables value and type are restored when the function completes. The following list of attributes may be specified: -H This flag provides UNIX to host-name file mapping on non-UNIX machines. -L Left justify and remove leading blanks from value. If n is non-zero it defines the width of the field; otherwise, it is determined by the width of the value of first assignment. When the variable is assigned to, it is filled on the right with blanks or trun- cated, if necessary, to fit into the field. Leading zeros are removed if the -Z flag is also set. The -R flag is turned off. -R Right justify and fill with leading blanks. If n is non-zero it defines the width of the field, otherwise it is determined by the width of the value of first assignment. The field is left filled with blanks or truncated from the end if the variable is reas- signed. The -L flag is turned off. -Z Right justify and fill with leading zeros if the first non-blank character is a digit and the -L flag has not been set. If n is non-zero it defines the width of the field; otherwise, it is determined by the width of the value of first assignment. -f The names refer to function names rather than variable names. No assignments can be made and the only other valid flags are -t, -u and -x. The flag -t turns on execution tracing for this function. The flag -u causes this function to be marked undefined. The FPATH variable will be searched to find the function definition when the function is referenced. The flag -x allows the func- tion definition to remain in effect across shell procedures invoked by name. -i Parameter is an integer. This makes arithmetic faster. If n is non-zero it defines the output arithmetic base; otherwise, the first assignment determines the output base. -l All upper-case characters are converted to lower-case. The upper-case flag, -u is turned off. -r The given names are marked readonly and these names cannot be changed by subsequent assignment. -t Tags the variables. Tags are user definable and have no special meaning to the shell. -u All lower-case characters are converted to upper-case characters. The lower-case flag, -l is turned off. -x The given names are marked for automatic export to the environment of subsequently-executed commands. The -i attribute can not be specified along with -R, -L, -Z, or -f. Using + rather than - causes these flags to be turned off. If no name arguments are given but flags are specified, a list of names (and optionally the values) of the variables which have these flags set is printed. (Using + rather than - keeps the values from being printed.) If no names and flags are given, the names and attributes of all variables are printed. For each name, whence indicates how it would be interpreted if used as a command name. The -v flag produces a more verbose report. The -p flag does a path search for name even if name is an alias, a function, or a reserved word. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), set(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 typeset(1)