Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: removing duplicates.
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users removing duplicates. Post 302504797 by sgruenwald on Tuesday 15th of March 2011 12:49:15 PM
Old 03-15-2011
You can do that with sort and uniq

$ cat file1
id,name
1,ww
2,qwq
2,asas
3,asa
4,asas
4,asas

$ sort -t, file1 -k 2,2 | uniq -u >file2

$ cat file2
3,asa
2,asas
id,name
2,qwq
1,ww

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicates

Hi, I've been trying to removed duplicates lines with similar columns in a fixed width file and it's not working. I've search the forum but nothing comes close. I have a sample file: 27147140631203RA CCD * 27147140631203RA PPN * 37147140631207RD AAA 47147140631203RD JNA... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: giannicello
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing duplicates and sort -k

Hello experts, I am trying to remove all lines in a csv file where the 2nd columns is a duplicate. I am try to use sort with the key parameter sort -u -k 2,2 File.csv > Output.csv File.csv File Name|Document Name|Document Title|Organization Word Doc 1.doc|Word Document|Sample... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: orahi001
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing duplicates

Hi I have a file that are a list of people & their credentials i recieve frequently The issue is that whne I catnet this list that duplicat entries exists & are NOT CONSECUTIVE (i.e. uniq -1 may not weork here ) I'm trying to write a scrip that will remove duplicate entries the script can... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevie_velvet
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicates

Hi, I have a file in the below format., test test (10) to to (25) see see (45) and i need the output in the format of test 10 to 25 see 45 Some one help me? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: imdadulla
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicates

I have a test file with the following 2 columns: Col 1 | Col 2 T1 | 1 <= remove T5 | 1 T4 | 2 T1 | 3 T3 | 3 T4 | 1 <= remove T1 | 2 <= remove T3 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gctex
7 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Removing all the duplicates

i want to remove all the duplictaes in a file.I dont want even a single entry. For the input data: 12345|12|34 12345|13|23 3456|12|90 15670|12|13 12345|10|14 3456|12|13 i need the below data in one file 15670|12|13 and the below data in another file (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in removing duplicates

I have an input file abc.txt with info like: abcd rateuse inklite robet rateuse abcd I need to remove duplicates from the file (eg: abcd,rateuse) from the file and need to place the contents in same file abc.txt if needed can be placed in another file. can anyone help me in this :( (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkrish
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing duplicates from a file

Hi All, I am merging files coming from 2 different systems ,while doing that I am getting duplicates entries in the merged file I,01,000131,764,2,4.00 I,01,000131,765,2,4.00 I,01,000131,772,2,4.00 I,01,000131,773,2,4.00 I,01,000168,762,2,2.00 I,01,000168,763,2,2.00... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sri3001
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicates except the last occurrence

Hi All, i have a file like below, @DB_FCTS\src\Data\Scripts\Delete_CU_OM_BIL_PRT_STMT_TYP.sql @DB_FCTS\src\Data\Scripts\Delete_CDP_BILL_LBL_MSG.sql @DB_FCTS\src\Data\Scripts\Delete_OM_BIDDR.sql @DB_FCTS\src\Data\Scripts\Insert_CU_OM_LBL_MSG.sql... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mechvijays
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicates from new file

i hav two files like i want to remove/delete all the duplicate lines in file2 which are viz unix,unix2,unix3 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagar_1986
2 Replies
UNIQ(1) 							   User Commands							   UNIQ(1)

NAME
uniq - report or omit repeated lines SYNOPSIS
uniq [OPTION]... [INPUT [OUTPUT]] DESCRIPTION
Filter adjacent matching lines from INPUT (or standard input), writing to OUTPUT (or standard output). With no options, matching lines are merged to the first occurrence. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --count prefix lines by the number of occurrences -d, --repeated only print duplicate lines, one for each group -D print all duplicate lines --all-repeated[=METHOD] like -D, but allow separating groups with an empty line; METHOD={none(default),prepend,separate} -f, --skip-fields=N avoid comparing the first N fields --group[=METHOD] show all items, separating groups with an empty line; METHOD={separate(default),prepend,append,both} -i, --ignore-case ignore differences in case when comparing -s, --skip-chars=N avoid comparing the first N characters -u, --unique only print unique lines -z, --zero-terminated line delimiter is NUL, not newline -w, --check-chars=N compare no more than N characters in lines --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit A field is a run of blanks (usually spaces and/or TABs), then non-blank characters. Fields are skipped before chars. Note: 'uniq' does not detect repeated lines unless they are adjacent. You may want to sort the input first, or use 'sort -u' without 'uniq'. Also, comparisons honor the rules specified by 'LC_COLLATE'. AUTHOR
Written by Richard M. Stallman and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report uniq translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
comm(1), join(1), sort(1) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/uniq> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) uniq invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 UNIQ(1)