Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to make this run in multiple threads Post 302504663 by Skrynesaver on Tuesday 15th of March 2011 06:29:56 AM
Old 03-15-2011
Perl supports it's own implementation of Posix fork.
ie
Code:
while (<$urls_file>){
   chomp;
   my $child = fork();
   if ( $child ){                     # each child process will run for the value of $_ when it was called
      checkResource($_);  # assumes the curl script above is in a sub routine
      exit;                              # and exit when it has checked it.
   }
}

Last edited by Skrynesaver; 03-15-2011 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: added comments and made it stricture friendly

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to use pipe() in multiple threads?

Hi, I have a program that runs two threads in stead of two processes. I want to use pipe to redirect the output of the first thread to the input of the second thread. One thread is continuously writing to a pipe, and the other thread will read from the pipe. How do I do that? Is there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wminghao
2 Replies

2. Programming

synchronizing multiple threads in unix

hi all! I wanted to know how to synchronize multiple threads in unix It would be better if someone give some code samples Thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bankpro
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

How to choose Multiple process or Multiple threads?

Hi All, Please explain me when i have to use multiple process and when I have to use Multiple threads? Please give me an example.It will be very helpful for me. Thanks in advance. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashleykumar
0 Replies

4. Programming

how can I get to know what threads run within process java.exe on windows

I am writing java application on windows. There are more than 100 threads run within java.exe. I want to know what threads run within process java.exe so that I can find out if there are abnormal java threads. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mika
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy files in Multiple Threads

Hello all, I have a directory of files of varying sizes. I want to copy all these files in n number of threads to another directory such that each copy set is more or less the same size. Example : Say /mydirA It has around say 23 files of various sizes. Number of copy... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: samoo
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple Threads/Tasks to run parallely using the shell script

Scenario: I have two PCs (named as A & B) which would send some traps to my third PC (named as C). In PC C, I have to write a shell script such that it should accept the datas from both the PC-A & B parallely. So my question is, is it possible to have two different child threads/tasks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nthiruvenkatam
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make script that run with argument if not run from configuration file argument

Hello, Is there any method thorugh which script can take argument if pass otherwise if argument doesn't pass then it takes the argument from the configuration file i.e I am workiing on a script which will run through crontab and the script will chekout the code ,zip and copy to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit22hamirpur
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to start multiple threads in Solaris?

Hello, In a unix Solaris environment, (for simulation) how to start multiple threads (as Light Weight Process, not background process)? thanks, J. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: seafan
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to create multiple threads

Hi , i need to run multiple scripts parallely ,on my server....i have 8 cpus . planning to run minimum of 6 scripts paralley ....could you please suggest someone . thanks in advance , (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Huvan
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a shell script in a loop with max number of threads

hi guys. i have a question for you i have a one file and inside this file there are 1000 lines and each line is a linux command running this commands takes long time so i want to create one bash script and run this lines in a loop with max number of threads for example i want to run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: avtaritet
2 Replies
PTHREAD_ATFORK(3)					     Library Functions Manual						 PTHREAD_ATFORK(3)

NAME
pthread_atfork - register handlers to be called at fork(2) time SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread.h> int pthread_atfork(void (*prepare)(void), void (*parent)(void), void (*child)(void)); DESCRIPTION
pthread_atfork registers handler functions to be called just before and just after a new process is created with fork(2). The prepare han- dler will be called from the parent process, just before the new process is created. The parent handler will be called from the parent process, just before fork(2) returns. The child handler will be called from the child process, just before fork(2) returns. One or several of the three handlers prepare, parent and child can be given as NULL, meaning that no handler needs to be called at the cor- responding point. pthread_atfork can be called several times to install several sets of handlers. At fork(2) time, the prepare handlers are called in LIFO order (last added with pthread_atfork, first called before fork), while the parent and child handlers are called in FIFO order (first added, first called). To understand the purpose of pthread_atfork, recall that fork(2) duplicates the whole memory space, including mutexes in their current locking state, but only the calling thread: other threads are not running in the child process. The mutexes are not usable after the fork and must be initialized with pthread_mutex_init in the child process. This is a limitation of the current implementation and might or might not be present in future versions. RETURN VALUE
pthread_atfork returns 0 on success and a non-zero error code on error. ERRORS
ENOMEM insufficient memory available to register the handlers. AUTHOR
Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr> SEE ALSO
fork(2), pthread_mutex_lock(3), pthread_mutex_unlock(3). LinuxThreads PTHREAD_ATFORK(3)