Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Alphabetical sort for multi line records contains in a single file Post 302504510 by quee1763 on Monday 14th of March 2011 07:23:51 PM
Old 03-14-2011
Thanks for your help. Your solution didn't work for some reason - it messed up something that meant everything reassembled completely out of order. I have a feeling there may have been some irregularities in my data after all.. Anyway, I managed to bodge together a fix in C so it's all good Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Multi-Line Records Processing

I am an Awk newbie and cannot wrap my brain around my problem: Given multi-line records of varying lengths separated by a blank line I need to skip the first two lines of every record and extract every-other line in each record unless the first line of the record has the word "(CONT)" in the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RacerX
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use Perl to merge multi-line into single line

Hi, Can anyone know how to use perl to merge the following multi-line information which beginning with "BAM" into one line. For each line need to delete the return and add a space. Please see the red color line. ******Org. Multi-line) BAM admin 101.203.57.22 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyday
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I list the file under a directory both in alphabetical and in reverse alphabetical order?

How can I list the file under current directory both in alphabetical and in reverse alphabetical order? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: g.ashok
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing multi-line records containing known value?

Some records in a file look like this, with any number of lines between start and end flags: /Start Some stuff Banana 1 Some more stuff End/ /Start Some stuff End/ /Start Some stuff Some more stuff Banana 2 End/ ...how would I process this file to find records containing the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cs03dmj
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transpose multi-line records into a single row

Now that I've parsed out the data that I desire I'm left with variable length multi-line records that are field seperated by new lines (\n) and record seperated by a single empty line ("") At first I was considering doing something like this to append all of the record rows into a single row: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveyabe
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining multi-line output to a single line in a group

Hi, My Oracle query is returing below o/p ---------------------------------------------------------- Ins trnas value a lkp1 x a lkp1 y b lkp1 a b lkp2 x b lkp2 y ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvk25
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

joining multi-line file into single lines

Hi, I have a file like mentioned below..For each specific id starting with > I want to join the sequence in multiple lines to a single line..Is there a simple way in awk or sed to do this >ENST00000558922 cdna:KNOWN TCCAGGATCCAGCCTCCCGATCACCGCGCTAGTCCTCGCCCTGCCTGGGCTTCCCCAGAG... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to grep records in alphabetical order from a file and split into other files

Hi All, I have one file containing thousands of table names in single column. Now I want that file split into multiple files e.g one file containing table names starting from A, other containing all tables starting from B...and so on..till Z. I tried below but it did not work. for i in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_4_u
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with reformat single-line multi-fasta into multi-line multi-fasta

Input File: >Seq1 ASDADAFASFASFADGSDGFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSD >Seq2 SDASDAQEQWEQeqAdfaasd >Seq3 ASDSALGHIUDFJANCAGPATHLACJHPAUTYNJKG ...... Desired Output File >Seq1 ASDADAFASF ASFADGSDGF SDFSDFSDFS DFSDFSDFSD FSDFSDFSDF SD >Seq2 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multi line log files to single line format

I want to read the log file which was generate from other command . And the output was having multi line in log files for job name and server name. But i need to make all the logs on one line Source file 07/15/2018 17:02:00 TRANSLOG_1700 Server0005_SQL ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjancom2000
2 Replies
NM(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						     NM(1)

NAME
nm -- display symbolic information in object files SYNOPSIS
nm [--debug-syms] [--defined-only] [--demangle[=style]] [--dynamic] [--extern-only] [--help] [--line-numbers] [--no-demangle] [--no-sort] [--numeric-sort] [--print-armap] [--print-file-name] [--print-size] [--radix=format] [--reverse-sort] [--size-sort] [--undefined-only] [--version] [-A] [-B] [-C [style]] [-D] [-P] [-V] [-a] [-e] [-g] [-h] [-l] [-n] [-o] [-p] [-r] [-S] [-s] [-t format] [-u] [-x] file ... DESCRIPTION
The nm utility displays symbolic information in the object files, executables, and object library files named by its arguments. Lack of sym- bolic information in an otherwise valid input file, is not considered to be an error. If no files are specified on the command line, nm will attempt to read a.out. The nm utility recognizes the following options: --debug-syms Display all symbols, including debugger-only symbols. --defined-only Display only defined symbols. --demangle[=style] Decode (demangle) low-level symbol names into human-readable names. Supported values for argument style are 'auto', 'gnu-v2', 'gnu-v3' and 'arm.' If argument style is not specified, it is taken to be 'auto'. --dynamic Only display dynamic symbols. This option is only meaningful for shared libraries. --extern-only Only display information about global (external) symbols. --help Display a help message and exit. --format=format Display output in the format specified by argument format. Supported values for the format argument are 'bsd', 'sysv', and 'posix'. The default output format is 'bsd'. --line-numbers Display the filename and line number associated a symbol using any debugging information present in the input file. For defined symbols, look up the line number associated with the address of the symbol. For undefined symbols, look up the line number associated with a relocation entry that refers to the symbol. If line number information can be determined, it is displayed after other symbol information. --no-demangle Do not demangle symbol names (default). --no-sort Do not sort symbols. --numeric-sort Sort symbols numerically by address instead of alphabetically by name. --print-armap For ar(1) archives, include the index of the archive's members. --print-file-name Write the full pathname or library name of an object on each line, before the rest of the information for a symbol. If this option is not specified, nm will only identify an input file once, before its symbols are listed. --print-size Print the size of each symbol instead of its value. --radix=radix Print numeric values using the specified radix. Supported values for argument radix are 'd' for decimal, 'o' for octal, and 'x' for hexadecimal. --reverse-sort Reverse the order of the sort. --size-sort Sort symbols by size instead of alphabetically by name. --undefined-only Display only undefined symbols. --version Display the version identifier for nm and exit. -A Equivalent to specifying option --print-file-name. -B Equivalent to specifying option --format=bsd. -C [style] Equivalent to specifying option --demangle[=style]. -D Equivalent to specifying option --dynamic. -F format Equivalent to specifying option --format=format. -P Equivalent to specifying option --format=posix. -S Equivalent to specifying option --print-size. -V Equivalent to specifying option --version. -a Equivalent to specifying option --debug-syms. -e Only display information for global and static symbols. -f Produce full output (default). -g Equivalent to specifying option --extern-only. -h Equivalent to specifying option --help. -l Equivalent to specifying option --line-numbers. -n Equivalent to specifying option --numeric-sort. -o If POSIX output was specified using the -F posix or -P options, this option is equivalent to specifying --radix='o'. If POSIX output was not specified, this option acts as a synonym for the --print-file-name option. -p Equivalent to specifying option --no-sort. -v Equivalent to option -n. -r Equivalent to specifying option --reverse-sort -s Equivalent to specifying option --print-armap. -t radix Equivalent to specifying option --radix=radix. -u Equivalent to specifying option --undefined-only. -x Write numeric values in hexadecimal (equivalent to -t x). OUTPUT FORMAT
The nm utility can present its information in a number of formats, numeric radices and sort orders. By default nm uses BSD style output, a hexadecimal radix, without output sorted alphabetically by name and without demangling of names. For each symbol listed, nm presents the following information: o The library or object name, if options -A or --print-file-name were specified. o The symbol name. o The type of the symbol denoted by a single character as below: A A global, absolute symbol. B A global ``bss'' (uninitialized data) symbol. C A ``common'' symbol, representing uninitialized data. D A global symbol naming initialized data. N A debugger symbol. R A read-only data symbol. T A global text symbol. U An undefined symbol. V A weak object. W A weak reference. a A local absolute symbol. b A local ``bss'' (uninitialized data) symbol. d A local data symbol. t A local text symbol. v A weak object that is undefined. w A weak symbol that is undefined. ? None of the above. o The value of the symbol. o The size of the symbol if applicable. o Line number information, if available and if options -l or --line-numbers were specified. EXIT STATUS
The nm utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
ar(1), objdump(1), ranlib(1), elf(3) AUTHORS
The nm utility and this manual page were written by Hyogeol Lee <hyogeollee@gmail.com>. BSD
February 15, 2015 BSD