Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Transfer Rate Disk
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Transfer Rate Disk Post 302504499 by Corona688 on Monday 14th of March 2011 06:45:34 PM
Old 03-14-2011
Since this is Linux, if you send a SIGUSR1 to dd while it's in operation, it will print statistics to standard error.
Code:
# useless:  read /dev/zero, write /dev/null, in blocks of one megabyte
$ dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null bs=1048576 &
[1] 25076
$ killall -USR1 dd
4115+1 records in
4115+0 records out
4314890240 bytes (4.3 GB) copied, 2.38339 s, 1.8 GB/s
$ killall dd
[1]+  Terminated              dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null bs=1048576
$

It will also print a summary to standard error when it completes.

You may want to add "oflag=sync" to prevent cache effects from messing up your numbers.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

HP UX disk io rate question

I only have two disk in my HP machine but when i execute iostat command device bps sps msps c0t0d1 0 0.0 1.0 disk0 49 2.8 1.0 disk5 0 0.0 1.0 I didn't know where device name disk0 and disk5 device name disk0 disk5 ,it is really disk or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Very SLOW STFTP transfer rate

Hi, I am experiencing extremely show transfer rates when transferring zip files over SFTP. Over FTP it works fine. I have disabled compression in the sshd_config file but that does not seem to help.. Any ideas? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Limit transfer speed rate by iptables Rules

I have D-Link Router DSL-2730U that support busybox OS and iptables version 1.4.0 I managed successfully to block the host for being connect to the internet using the following command block by ip address iptables -I FORWARD -d 192.168.1.6 -j DROP Or By mac source iptables -I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: iLinux85
0 Replies
MEM(4)                                                       Linux Programmer's Manual                                                      MEM(4)

NAME
mem, kmem, port - system memory, kernel memory and system ports DESCRIPTION
/dev/mem is a character device file that is an image of the main memory of the computer. It may be used, for example, to examine (and even patch) the system. Byte addresses in /dev/mem are interpreted as physical memory addresses. References to nonexistent locations cause errors to be returned. Examining and patching is likely to lead to unexpected results when read-only or write-only bits are present. Since Linux 2.6.26, and depending on the architecture, the CONFIG_STRICT_DEVMEM kernel configuration option limits the areas which can be accessed through this file. For example: on x86, RAM access is not allowed but accessing memory-mapped PCI regions is. It is typically created by: mknod -m 660 /dev/mem c 1 1 chown root:kmem /dev/mem The file /dev/kmem is the same as /dev/mem, except that the kernel virtual memory rather than physical memory is accessed. Since Linux 2.6.26, this file is available only if the CONFIG_DEVKMEM kernel configuration option is enabled. It is typically created by: mknod -m 640 /dev/kmem c 1 2 chown root:kmem /dev/kmem /dev/port is similar to /dev/mem, but the I/O ports are accessed. It is typically created by: mknod -m 660 /dev/port c 1 4 chown root:kmem /dev/port FILES
/dev/mem /dev/kmem /dev/port SEE ALSO
chown(1), mknod(1), ioperm(2) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2015-01-02 MEM(4)