Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers How to grep for password file entry Post 302504470 by cjcox on Monday 14th of March 2011 05:01:44 PM
Old 03-14-2011
Did you READ my post?

Anyhow.... let's assume you DO NOT have getent first... so a reasonable script might be:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
username=`whoami`
grep "^${username}:" /etc/passwd

One nice benefit of getent over this script would be that multiple sources of auth might be available.... but you DID say just /etc/passwd.... so the above will be sufficient.

No need for an alias here, just put the code above into a script file and make sure it is on the user's PATH.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

/etc/shadow update password entry! ( getspent? )

Hi i just whant to update an password entry in /etc/shadow. But dosen't get it to work. Something is wrong! in this code. What i try do do is if user kalle exist in shadow. I whant it to update it's password for just that entry. #include <stdio.h> #include <errno.h> #include <stdlib.h>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nighter
2 Replies

2. Programming

userpw.h AIX ( delete entry from the shadow password database )

HI i need to delete an entry in /etc/security/passwd. can't find a way to do it with userpw.h api ( AIX ). the passwd file i delete like this. Write all entrys to passwd file except the one we are removing. can't find any function that works like getspent / getpwent do in AIX userpw api.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nighter
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

automating username / password entry

I have a database that contains a list of server names, and the password for the root user on several servers (100+). I need to verify the passwords for each of the servers in an automated fashion because the database continues to grow. All of the users that I'm going to test are ROOT. I can't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jbeck22
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to delay password entry - putty connection manager

Hi all, putty connection manager is great but when attempting to sudo or ssh to another box via the post login commands it is subject to issues due to network latency (what happens is that pcm enters the password before the unix box is ready to receive it). Is there any clever way I can make... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skinnygav
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep for password file entry

How would I grep for password file entry without using grep 'username' /etc/passwd? perhaps with who? I want to create alias that will find the password file entry regardless of the user who is using it. I am trying to get the same exact line from the file entry like: Name : Password : UserID... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: alis
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop picks up password for 2 entry...how to avoid that ?

hello all, i am trying to find a better to do what i am doing right now... i have a file called sidlist...which has my database_name and password to the respective database so something like below.. file is called sidlist and entry is below... test, abc123 kes12, abcd12 pss, abcd1234... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdul.irfan2
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[awk] grep a part of filename as entry file

hi all, i need to combine these files into one csv file. Bounce_Mail_Event_Daily_Report_01_Jul_2012.csv Bounce_Mail_Event_Daily_Report_02_Jul_2012.csv Bounce_Mail_Event_Daily_Report_03_Jul_2012.csv Bounce_Mail_Event_Daily_Report_04_Jul_2012.csv... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: makan
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to grep certain entry out of log file

This one is a bit too challenging for me... Hopefully you guys can help. Let's say I have a log file called: "$MW_HOME/user_projects/domains/IDMDomain/servers/wls_ods?/logs/wls_ods1-diagnostic.log" In this log file I want to search for "DIP-10219". When I execute this $ cat... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: exm
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automatic su password entry script

Before I start, two things. 1) Yes I know it's bad practice and obomination to all things holy, but I'm not a sys admin at JP Morgan, I'm a hobbyist tooling about in a VM, in my pants, at home. 2) If you are just going to flame for even considering hardcoding a root password, thanks, I get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3therk1ll
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep for first entry in a file?

Hello friends, I have a question. Sometimes I have to search for an entry in a file that is repeated thousands of times. Can you tell me how to search so that i get limited results? For example: file: myfile.txt grep "hello world" myfile.txt this above grep will generate 5000... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
4 Replies
shexp(1)						      General Commands Manual							  shexp(1)

Name
       shexp - display password expiration information for a user

Syntax
       shexp [-q] [username]

Description
       The command is used to display a user's password expiration information.  The specified username, or logname if no username is supplied, is
       converted to a UID by searching through the passwd file.  The UID is then used to look up the user's entry in  the  Auth  Data  Base.   The
       password expiration information is then printed out in format.
       % shexp
       Expires Tue Dec	6 10:49:18 EST 1988
       If  the	password  has  already expired the word Expires will be replaced with the word Expired. If password expiration is disabled for the
       particular user in question the output of will be Never expires.

Options
       -q   Instead of displaying the expiration date and time in format, outputs it as three decimal numbers: the minimum password lifetime,  the
	    maximum password lifetime, and the password modification time.  All three numbers are displayed as they are found in the database.

Restrictions
       Only the super-user may obtain information about users with UIDs other than the real UID of the invoking process.

Diagnostics
       User not found in passwd data base.
       There is no entry in for the specified username.

Cannot stat auth file.
       The database is missing (security features may not be enabled).

Insufficient privilege.
       An insufficiently privileged user is asking for information about a username with a UID different then their current real-UID.

An exit value of 0 indicates a successful operation, any other exit status indicates an error.

Files
See Also
       passwd(1), getauthuid(3), auth(5)
       Security Guide for Users

shexp(1)