Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Alphabetical sort for multi line records contains in a single file Post 302504378 by joeyg on Monday 14th of March 2011 12:11:03 PM
Old 03-14-2011
One thought is to put each record on one line.
If each company name preceded by-
Code:
Name: Acme
Add1: 12 Main St.
Name: Boris
Add1: 200 Potomac

Then
Code:
sed 's/Name/~Name/g' <infile | tr "\n" "^" | tr "~" "\n"

Add the ~ so can later force new-line. Get rid of extra new-lines by replacing with ^. Make the ~ into new lines so every record now on one line.
Do your sort. Then
Code:
tr "^" "\n"

to put the new-lines back in there.
This User Gave Thanks to joeyg For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Multi-Line Records Processing

I am an Awk newbie and cannot wrap my brain around my problem: Given multi-line records of varying lengths separated by a blank line I need to skip the first two lines of every record and extract every-other line in each record unless the first line of the record has the word "(CONT)" in the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: RacerX
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use Perl to merge multi-line into single line

Hi, Can anyone know how to use perl to merge the following multi-line information which beginning with "BAM" into one line. For each line need to delete the return and add a space. Please see the red color line. ******Org. Multi-line) BAM admin 101.203.57.22 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyday
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I list the file under a directory both in alphabetical and in reverse alphabetical order?

How can I list the file under current directory both in alphabetical and in reverse alphabetical order? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: g.ashok
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing multi-line records containing known value?

Some records in a file look like this, with any number of lines between start and end flags: /Start Some stuff Banana 1 Some more stuff End/ /Start Some stuff End/ /Start Some stuff Some more stuff Banana 2 End/ ...how would I process this file to find records containing the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cs03dmj
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transpose multi-line records into a single row

Now that I've parsed out the data that I desire I'm left with variable length multi-line records that are field seperated by new lines (\n) and record seperated by a single empty line ("") At first I was considering doing something like this to append all of the record rows into a single row: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveyabe
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining multi-line output to a single line in a group

Hi, My Oracle query is returing below o/p ---------------------------------------------------------- Ins trnas value a lkp1 x a lkp1 y b lkp1 a b lkp2 x b lkp2 y ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvk25
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

joining multi-line file into single lines

Hi, I have a file like mentioned below..For each specific id starting with > I want to join the sequence in multiple lines to a single line..Is there a simple way in awk or sed to do this >ENST00000558922 cdna:KNOWN TCCAGGATCCAGCCTCCCGATCACCGCGCTAGTCCTCGCCCTGCCTGGGCTTCCCCAGAG... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to grep records in alphabetical order from a file and split into other files

Hi All, I have one file containing thousands of table names in single column. Now I want that file split into multiple files e.g one file containing table names starting from A, other containing all tables starting from B...and so on..till Z. I tried below but it did not work. for i in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_4_u
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with reformat single-line multi-fasta into multi-line multi-fasta

Input File: >Seq1 ASDADAFASFASFADGSDGFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSD >Seq2 SDASDAQEQWEQeqAdfaasd >Seq3 ASDSALGHIUDFJANCAGPATHLACJHPAUTYNJKG ...... Desired Output File >Seq1 ASDADAFASF ASFADGSDGF SDFSDFSDFS DFSDFSDFSD FSDFSDFSDF SD >Seq2 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multi line log files to single line format

I want to read the log file which was generate from other command . And the output was having multi line in log files for job name and server name. But i need to make all the logs on one line Source file 07/15/2018 17:02:00 TRANSLOG_1700 Server0005_SQL ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjancom2000
2 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)