Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Identify high values "˙" in a text file using Unix command Post 302504310 by methyl on Monday 14th of March 2011 09:20:25 AM
Old 03-14-2011
What Operating System and version are you running?
What Shell do you use?
Do you have a high-level language such as Oracle available or are you trying to do this with Shell tools and unix commands.

How big are the files?
How long is each record?

Ir you looking for characters 128-255 inclusive, or just character 255, or something else?

What are you going to do with the results? Are you going to try to change characters?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix "at" / "Cron" Command New Problem...Need help

Hi All, I am trying to schedule a one time job using the at command with the help of shell script for my project. The shell script should take a parameter as a command line argument from the at command itself. Is it possible to take a command line parameter for a shell script in the command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohanraj
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

Need to identify the process/app which is triggering the error "vmunix: file: table is full"

Hi, I'm seeing the error vmunix: file: table is full in syslog.log. Although changing the value of the kernel parameter nfile would make this error go away, how would I identify which process/application in the server is triggering this error? The server is a HP-UX B.11.11. Thanks in advance! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: enchogas
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

identify files with "Normal termination" and compress them into a .tar.gz file

Hi, I have hundreds of files "*.out" located in one folder, and I want to: 1. Identify the good files containing "Normal termination" (grep "Normal termination" *.out ) 2. Compress the good files into a tar.gz file (tar cvfz good.tar.gz *.goog.out ) Is there a way I can automate this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockytodd
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix "look" Command "File too large" Error Message

I am trying to find lines in a text file larger than 3 Gb that start with a given string. My command looks like this: $ look "string" "/home/patrick/filename.txt" However, this gives me the following message: "look: /home/patrick/filename.txt: File too large" So, I have two... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shishong
14 Replies

6. Red Hat

Using "ps" command to find high processes

Sometimes idle process(%98) and load average(98.32) are very high. When its happen I check with "top" command and I kill visible process. After killing machine status already same. How can I check high process using ps command. I want to find that which processes are using more than %50 CPU or... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please identify "unexpected end of file" bug

This is a script I got off the web for transferring Safari's "reading list" to the Pocket app. I ran it in terminal with the command bash exportsafarireadinglist.sh and got syntax error: unexpected end of file. Thanks for any help! The code: #!/bin/bash # Script to export Safari's reading... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kdog126
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to identify varying unique fields values from a text file in UNIX?

Hi, I have a huge unsorted text file. We wanted to identify the unique field values in a line and consider those fields as a primary key for a table in upstream system. Basically, the process or script should fetch the values from each line that are unique compared to the rest of the lines in... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: manikandan23
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
cachefswssize(1M)														 cachefswssize(1M)

NAME
cachefswssize - determine working set size for cachefs SYNOPSIS
logfile DESCRIPTION
The command displays the workspace size determined from logfile. This includes the amount of cache space used by each filesystem using the same cachedir and the total cache space used by all the filesystems using the same cachedir. Optionally, it also displays the operations that are logged in the logfile. The logfile generated by the command is used by for reporting these statistics. Options recognizes the following option: Display the data in the logfile in ASCII format. This option is used for debugging purposes only. RETURN VALUE
returns the following values: Success. non-zero An error occurred. EXAMPLES
Following is sample output: cachefswssize /var/tmp/samlog /home/sam end size: 10688k high water size: 10704k /foo end size: 128k high water size: 128k /usr/dist end size: 1472k high water size: 1472k total for cache initial size: 110960k end size: 12288k high water size: 12304k Following is an example using with the option: AUTHOR
was developed by Sun Microsystems, Inc. SEE ALSO
cachefslog(1M), cachefsstat(1M), cfsadmin(1M). cachefswssize(1M)