Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Help with controlling string elements Post 302504141 by mirni on Sunday 13th of March 2011 08:16:17 PM
Old 03-13-2011
Code:
ctsgnb@shell ~]$ echo $a | sed 's/.*/# &/'
# /users/home/ctsgnb/1900_CDCRM_CBF71_13022010_13022010.txt

replace all characters ('.' is any char, '*' is zero or more) with
a hash sign, space and whatever you captured ('&') as .*

Code:
[ctsgnb@shell ~]$ echo $a | sed 's/\(.*\)ctsgnb/ctsgnb\1/'
ctsgnb/users/home//1900_CDCRM_CBF71_13022010_13022010.txt

capture ('\(' and '\)' define the beg and end) any characters immediately before 'ctsgnb' string and
replace captured string and "ctsgnb" with "ctsgnb" concatenated with whatever was captured

Code:
[ctsgnb@shell ~]$ echo $a | sed 's/.*\(ctsgnb\)/\1/'
ctsgnb/1900_CDCRM_CBF71_13022010_13022010.txt

replace any chars before string "ctsgnb" and the string itself, with what was captured.
Only pattern that could match the capture is "ctsgnb" string.
Same as
Code:
echo $a | sed 's/.*ctsgnb/ctsgnb/'

without an instructional use of capturing with parentheses Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

controlling screen display

How can I control the screen output when trying to read a large file onto the screen x number of lines at a time. I'm trying to use this is a bourne shell script. I want to display 10 lines of a file, pause the screen so that a user can read the file, and then display the next 10 lines of the file,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrdnoland1
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Controlling logfiles

I support an app that outputs alert and audit messages to one log file (vendor says they can't be separated). The script that I have written takes a copy (mv cmd) of the file to do the separation and reformatting. I have a problem that I loose records (messages are being written constantly, upto 3+... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nhatch
5 Replies

3. Programming

controlling terminal

What is controlling terminal in the case of daemon process? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Madhu Babu
2 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Controlling I/O

Hi guys, Can anyone please tell me how I can control the I/O on my hardware devices in Suse Linux 8.1. I find that everytime I am reading a CD, or copying from a CD, I am unable to listen to music of watch a movie. Maybe this is intended to be like so, for the current high street technolgy... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bionicfysh
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ps: no controlling terminal

Any one know the below means : ps: no controlling terminal I had run a script in background : nohup ./benchmark.sh & and shutdown my windows system from where i connected through SSH I am using bash: The above script perfoms various tasks of Benchmarking Repositories Today the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram003
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search array elements as file for a matching string

I would like to find a list of files in a directory less than 2 days old and put them into an array variable. And then search for each file in the array for a matching string say "Return-code= 0". If it matches, then display the array element with a message as "OK". Your help will be greatly... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mkbaral
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array with String Elements

How can I get my array to understand the double-quotes I'm passing into it are to separate text strings and not part of an element? here's what I'm working with... db2 -v connect to foo db2 -x "select '\"' || stats_command || '\",' from db2law1.parallel_runstats where tabname = 'BAZ'" set... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: djschmitt
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with counting string elements

Hi All, I hv several files which have hundreds of lines each for example>XYZ.abc01 NNNTCGGTNNNNNCCACACACMYACACACCCACACCCACSCARCAC I'd like to exculde the first line beginning with ">" and then for the rest of the lines get a count for each string element. So for the above example I would like... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with editing string elements

Hi All I have a question. I would like to edit some string characters by replacing with characters of choice located in another file. For example in sample file>S5_SK1.chr01 NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNCAGCATGCAATAAGGTGACATAGATATACCCACACACCACACCCTAACACTAACCCTAATCTAACCCTGGCCAACCTGTTT... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
9 Replies

10. Red Hat

"rhgb quiet" controlling the display of commands in single user mode ?"rhgb quiet" controlling the d

Why does removing "rhgb quiet" from the kernel boot parameters control whether or not the commands I enter are displayed in single user mode ? For instance, if I do not remove "rhgb quiet", when I am in single user mode, whatever command I type will not be displayed on the screen. The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hijanoqu
0 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)