Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: tcpdump - stealing storage
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers tcpdump - stealing storage Post 302503998 by DoxieLvr on Sunday 13th of March 2011 12:57:39 AM
Old 03-13-2011
On Linux, if you delete ("unlink") a file while a process has it open, all that happens is that the directory entry is removed but the file itself remains until the process closes the file-descriptor. At this point, if there are no directory entries referencing the i-node of the file, the file itself is deleted.

Before the tcpdump processes were killed, you could have seen this using the lsof command.

I would guess that someone deleted the files but didn't kill the processes. The processes went on happy writing to the "deleted" files and filling up the filesystem until you came and killed them. Since killing the process implicitly closes all FDs, the files were finally deleted from the filesystem.

Does this help?

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Starting a program without it stealing focus

Hi all I have a java program I'm starting in Mac os from the terminal using the command java -Djava.library.path=/Users/me/Desktop/Cfiles/DynamicCTGLayout/build/Release -jar However, when I do this, my current program I'm using becomes "deselected" and the java program's GUI becomes... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: WhiteTiger
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display command stealing focus

Please Help a Newbie, I'm using the display command to post a picture of several configurations for a machine operator to choose from. The Issue I have is when I display the image the displayed image steals focus from my bash window. The operator then has to re-select the window to answer the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BitBoy
1 Replies
JPILOT-DIAL(1)						      General Commands Manual						    JPILOT-DIAL(1)

NAME
jpilot-dial - generates the DTMF tone signals used for telephone dialing SYNOPSIS
jpilot-dial [options] number... DESCRIPTION
jpilot-dial generates the DTMF tone signals used for telephone dialing and by default sends the signals to the sound card. It can be used for easy dialing, simply put the telephone microphone near the computer speaker and let the software dial for you. It is intended for dialing from within database programs that also store telephone numbers. OPTIONS
--tone-time milliseconds, default 100 --silent-time milliseconds, default 50 --sleep-time milliseconds, default 500 --output-dev default /dev/dsp --use-audio default 1 --bufsize default 4096 --speed default 8000 --bits default 8 --lv left speaker volume --rv right speaker volume --table-size default 256 --volume default 100 --left default 0 --right default 0 SEE ALSO
jpilot(1) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Ludovic Rousseau <rousseau@debian.org> for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). November 22, 2005 JPILOT-DIAL(1)