Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Renaming files in one file from names in other Post 302503961 by ctsgnb on Saturday 12th of March 2011 06:42:20 PM
Old 03-12-2011
Code:
[ctsgnb@shell ~/sand]$ cat f1
K2_34625-34675
K7_988963-988983
K12_773882-7734102
[ctsgnb@shell ~/sand]$ cat f2
U_P_321_9_3_11.ab1
U_P_322_9_3_11.ab1
U_P_323_9_3_11.ab1
[ctsgnb@shell ~/sand]$ paste f2 f1 | while read a b
> do
> t=${b##*_???}
> v=$(echo $b | sed 's/.*_...//;s/-.../-/')
> n=${b%$t}$(( -($v) )).${a#*.}
> echo "mv $a $n"
> done
mv U_P_321_9_3_11.ab1 K2_34650.ab1
mv U_P_322_9_3_11.ab1 K7_98820.ab1
mv U_P_323_9_3_11.ab1 K12_7733220.ab1
[ctsgnb@shell ~/sand]$

If it does what you want then just change the echo "mv $a $n" with mv "$a $n"

---------- Post updated at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous update was at 12:34 AM ----------

please give more clue about the caculation for the renaming :

34625-34675 = -50
and what should be calculated in the
773882-7734102
????

I assumed you want to keep the first 3 number unchanged so that is becomes:
-(882-4102)=3220
so the new name will be K12_7733220.ab1
by the way, i also assume you have the same number of entries in your both set of files
This User Gave Thanks to ctsgnb For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming file names in a shell script

I want to write a shell script that will rename all the file names to today's date attached to it.. so for example i have a file names like file1.sales.20081201.txt.c zbrs.salestxtn.20091101.txt.inn then it will rename both the files with todays date to it so the file names get changed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Some questions - renaming duplicate names

I have a file that looks like this 2 4 10 500 tim9 5 8 14 700 tim9 3 5 15 432 john1 1 4 12 999 ellen2 So basically what i want to do is fine duplicate names on column 5 and rename it with an extention (i.e. tim9_1 and tim9_2). so the output file will look like this 2 4 10 500 tim9_1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kylle345
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

File renaming from list of names contained in another file

I have to rename a large number of files so that the name of each file corresponds to a code number that is given side by side in a list (textfile). The list contains in column A the filename of the actual files to be renamed and in column B the name (a client code, 9 digits) that has to be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: netfreighter
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming files from an array of names

I haven’t used Unix in over 25 years … and so I am at a loss for something that should be very simple. I have a lot of jpeg files (i.jpg) of students in a yearbook.. I also have an array name(i) of their names. I need to rename each “i.jpg” to “name(i).jpg”. I believe the ksh script... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: chuckmg
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming file names

I have 7 files with 7 different names coming into a specified folder on weekly basis, i need to pick a file one after another and load into oracle table using sql loader. I am using ksh to do this. So in the process if the file has error records and if sql loader fails to load into oracle tables,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpv0002
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripts (Renaming file names with sequential numbers)

Hi there, Firstly, I have no experience with shell scripts so would really appreciate some help. I have the following shell script that is causing some problems: moveit() { && set -x if then DOUBLE_DELIVERY=$(grep... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thebeno
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming files with weird names

I have hundreds of files with weird names, something like this: I was wondering how can I rename them all keeping the sampleid and the last extension, something like this: Any help will be greatly appreciated. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming File Names in a folder/Dir

Hi Team, I'm new to Unix shell scripting . I've the following requirement A folder contains the list of files with the following format ab.name.11.first ab.name.12.second ab.name.13.third ---------- I have to rename the above file to like below ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude certain file names while selectingData files coming in different names in a file name called

Data files coming in different names in a file name called process.txt. 1. shipments_yyyymmdd.gz 2 Order_yyyymmdd.gz 3. Invoice_yyyymmdd.gz 4. globalorder_yyyymmdd.gz The process needs to discard all the below files and only process two of the 4 file names available ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsravanam
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Renaming the file names in a directory

Hi, I have about 60 files in a directory and need to rename those files. For example the file names are i_can_phone_yymmdd.txt (where yymmdd is the date. i.e 170420 etc) i_usa_phone_1_yymmdd.txt i_eng_phone_4_yymmdd.txt The new file names should be phone.txt phone_1.txt phone_4.txt I am... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveed
4 Replies
RENAME(1)							   User Commands							 RENAME(1)

NAME
rename - rename files SYNOPSIS
rename [options] expression replacement file... DESCRIPTION
rename will rename the specified files by replacing the first occurrence of expression in their name by replacement. OPTIONS
-v, --verbose Give visual feedback which files where renamed, if any. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -s, --symlink Peform rename on symlink target -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXAMPLES
Given the files foo1, ..., foo9, foo10, ..., foo278, the commands rename foo foo0 foo? rename foo foo0 foo?? will turn them into foo001, ..., foo009, foo010, ..., foo278. And rename .htm .html *.htm will fix the extension of your html files. WARNING
The renaming has no safeguards. If the user has permission to rewrite file names, the command will perform the action without any ques- tions. For example, the result can be quite drastic when the command is run as root in the /lib directory. Always make a backup before running the command, unless you truly know what you are doing. SEE ALSO
mmv(1), mv(1) AVAILABILITY
The rename command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux June 2011 RENAME(1)