Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Installing Java Problems
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Installing Java Problems Post 302503804 by yifangt on Friday 11th of March 2011 05:47:52 PM
Old 03-11-2011
similar question but for upgrade

I was trying to upgrade my java 1.6.0_20 to java 1.6.0_24 as a self-learning experience. Felt nervous and want to know the right way. Yes, I downloaded the file from SUN:
Code:
jre-6u24-linux-x64.bin

and executed it. It was successfully installed in my local folder
Code:
/Downloads/jre1.6.0_24/

But, when I check the version it still displayed the old version which is linked the java executable by two symlinks after I recursively checked each file (for simplicity I put them directly here):
Code:
$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_20"
$which java
/usr/bin/java---> /etc/alternatives/java--->/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/bin/java

Now, my question is: can I replace the old java executable with the new one, or simply replace the whole folder that contains the java executable? I am aware there some new files. Not sure the whole story while I am trying to understand the basics.
I am using Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat - released in October 2010 amd64-server in linux kernel 2.6.35.27-server & gnome 2.32.0.
Please someone give me a explanation. Thanks a lot!

Yifang

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Problems Installing Top

I've been trying to install Top on our Solaris box but it's giving me some trouble. The uname -a command shows SunOS servername 5.9 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250 I downloaded Top form www.unixtop.com. On the initial install I got errors because I didn't have a C compiler installed.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KenLynch
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Problems de-installing NetConnect

I have run into a problem while attempting to de-install netconnect from a Sol8 box. We got an error during the un-install script when it tries to remove SUNWsrsrp. It can't find the srsuser. We have no idea what user was specified initially. I have tried to remove the package on its own, to no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i_am_homer
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Java on Openserver 6

Forgive the sheer volume of verbiage: Sco Openserver 6 - how to install Java 1.42_14b: The documentation says: "Make a subdirectory and unwind the tar file into that subdirectory. mkdir JAVA142 cd JAVA142; tar -xf ../OSR6_Java2_142.VOLS.tar Run the Software Manager with the command: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LetSco
6 Replies

4. SCO

problems installing 5.0.7 on HP DL 380G5

hi there, i have a hp DL380G5 with hpsas array controller P400. when installing, i use bootstring as following; defbootstr link=hpsas hd=Sdsk Sdsk=hpsas(0,0,0,0) Srom=wd(0,0,0) then BTLD disk boots ok and looks like the drivers are loaded, all devices show up in boot screen, giving me a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jose_antonio
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Java Exceptions while installing Oracle

Hello. I was trying to installe oracle 10g on solaris t0 x86 and got few exception? Could you please suggest, what might be going wrong? $ ls -l total 32 drwxr-xr-x 9 oracle dba 512 Nov 21 03:50 doc drwxr-xr-x 5 oracle dba 512 Nov 21 03:50 install drwxr-xr-x 2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
5 Replies

6. HP-UX

installing java 5.0 in HPUX B11.11

please help me how to install java 5.0 in HPUX ...where can i download java 5.0 for HPUX? thanks winky (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: winky
6 Replies

7. Solaris

Problems installing Solaris 10

I just built my new computer with a q6600 quad core, 4 gig ram, Nvidia vidoo card but when I try to install the latest Solaris 10 on it the keyboard is not being detected when the installation starts so I'm unable to go complete the installation. First I tried a USB keyboard and it didn't work,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: isomorphic
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

help with installing java EE on fedora 14

Hi Forum Im a new to fedora and was wondering ,Can anybody direct me to a site that shows me how to install Java EE 6 SDK Update 1 (with JDK 6 Update 23) for fedora 14. NOT openjdk i need oracles java to develop a web app using tomcat 7.0 Any help would be much appreciated and thank you in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ShinTec
1 Replies

9. AIX

Strange issue installing Java 8

I just intalled java8_64.jre and .sdk respectively installp -agXYd . Java8_64.jre Java8_64.sdk 2>&1 | tee installp.log Worked like a champ. Now I see this-- jeff@server:/usr> ls -l | grep java drwxr-xr-x 9 bin bin 512 Sep 22 2010 java14 drwxr-xr-x 7 bin bin ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
9 Replies
NUXWDOG(1)							     PKI Tools								NUXWDOG(1)

NAME
nuxwdog - Provides a simple watchdog process that can be used to start, stop, monitor, or reconfigure a server process. SYNOPSIS
nuxwdog -f configuration_file [-i] DESCRIPTION
nuxwdog is a watchdog daemon that builds on the uxwdog service that is part of the Netscape Enterprise Server (NES). nuxwdog can start, stop, monitor, and reconfigure server programs, depending on the parameters passed to it in its configuration file. nuxwdog opens a Unix domain socket to accept requests from any server process it is managing. Optionally, nuxwdog can be configured to communicate only with clients that are descendants of the nuxwdog process, limiting an avenue of potential access to any servers managed by the watchdog. Some servers require a high-level of security to protect their data or operations, which means (for example) that they cannot store plaintext passwords in a password file to allow the server to be started automatically. nuxwdog can be configured to prompt for server passwords when a server first starts and then caches those passwords so that nuxwdog can restart the server without intervention if the server crashes. To make it easy for clients to communicate with nuxwdog, a C/C++ shared library is provided with the nuxwdog source code (libnuxwdog.so). Additionally, nuxwdog provides JNI interfaces and Perl bindings to the libnuxwdog.so library, so that calls can be made from Java and Perl programs. For more information on this library and the client interfaces, see https://fedorahosted.org/nuxwdog/wiki/HOWTO. nuxwdog is used by Dogtag PKI to monitor and manage the subsystem server processes for Java, Tomcat, and Apache servers. OPTIONS
-f configuration_file Passes the configuration file for the service which runs the subsystem. With Dogtag PKI. For the CA, OCSP, TKS, and DRM, this is for the Java process. For the TPS, this is for the Apache process. -i Runs the nuxwdog process in interactive mode and keeps nuxwdog open in the foreground instead of running it as a daemon in the background. CONFIGURATION FILE PARAMETERS AND EXAMPLES
ExeFile Gives the full path to the executable to be started. ExeArgs Passes any arguments to the executable. The first argument must be the full path to the executable (the same as the value in ExeFile). TmpDir Gives the full path to the executable to be started. ChildSecurity Sets whether the child server process should only allow requests from a parent (where nuxwdog is the parent). nuxwdog checks the process ID for any client which sends a request to the Unix domain socket and drops any message where the client is not a descendant of the nuxwdog process. To allow any request, set this to 0; to allow only parent or ancestor requests, sets this to 1. ExeOut Gives the file to write stdout for the server to be started. ExeErr Gives the file to write stderr for the server to be started. ExeBackground Sets whether to run the server and the nuxwdog processes in the background in daemon mode after the watchdog is initialized. Setting this to 1 enables daemon mode, while 0 keeps this in the foreground. PidFile Gives the PID file to use to store the nuxwdog PID. ChildPidFile Gives the PID file to use to store the PID of the server process managed by nuxwdog. ExeContext Sets the SELinux context in which to start the server process. nuxwdog can be used to manage many types of server processes. For Dogtag PKI, it manages Java, Tomcat, and Apache servers. For the Dogtag PKI Certificate Authority, a Java-based subsystem with a Tomcat web service, the configuration file identifies the appropriate JRE and class paths, along with setting the output, error, and PID files. (The ExeArgs argument should be all on one line.) ExeFile /usr/lib/jvm/jre/bin/java ExeArgs /usr/lib/jvm/jre/bin/java -Djava.endorsed.dirs=/usr/share/tomcat5/common/endorsed -classpath :/usr/lib/jvm/jre/lib/rt.jar :/usr/share/java/commons-collections.jar :/usr/share/tomcat5/bin/bootstrap.jar :/usr/share/tomcat5/bin/commons-logging-api.jar :/usr/share/java/mx4j/mx4j-impl.jar :/usr/share/java/mx4j/mx4j-jmx.jar :/usr/share/tomcat5/common/lib/nuxwdog.jar -Dcatalina.base=/var/lib/pki-ca2 -Dcatalina.home=/usr/share/tomcat5 -Djava.io.tmpdir=/usr/share/tomcat5/temp org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start TmpDir /var/lib/pki-ca2/logs/pids ChildSecurity 1 ExeOut /var/lib/pki-ca2/logs/catalina.out ExeErr /var/lib/pki-ca2/logs/catalina.out ExeBackground 1 PidFile /var/lib/pki-ca2/logs/wd-pki-ca2.pid ChildPidFile /var/run/pki-ca2.pid For Dogtag PKI, the Token (smart card) Processing System uses an Apache-based server. This example also sets the SELinux context, pki_tps_t, used by the TPS subsystem processes. ExeFile /usr/sbin/httpd.worker ExeArgs /usr/sbin/httpd.worker -f /etc/pki-tps1/httpd.conf TmpDir /var/lib/pki-tps1/logs/pids PidFile /var/lib/pki-tps1/logs/wd-pki-tps1.pid ExeContext pki_tps_t ADDITIONAL RESOURCES
There is a more detailed how-to article, including information on available client calls for nuxwdog, at https://fedorahosted.org/nuxwdog/wiki/HOWTO. The nuxwdog server works in conjunction with the Dogtag PKI subsystems. The Dogtag PKI project wiki is at http://pki.fedoraproject.org/wiki/. For information specifically about nuxwdog, the nuxwdog project wiki is located at https://fedorahosted.org/nuxwdog/wiki/[1]. The nuxwdog relates directly to nuxwdog code changes and releases, rather than all PKI-related updates. Mailing lists: pki-devel@redhat.com and pki-users@redhat.com IRC: Freenode at #dogtag-pki AUTHORS
The PKI tools were written and maintained by developers with Netscape and now with Red Hat. Authors: Ade Lee <alee@redhat.com>, Deon Lackey <dlackey@redhat.com>. COPYRIGHT
(c) 2010, Red Hat, Inc. Licensed under the GNU Public License version 2. NOTES
1. https://fedorahosted.org/nuxwdog/wiki/ https://fedorahosted.org/nuxwdog/wiki nuxwdog 1 November 29, 2010 NUXWDOG(1)