Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting if (disk is mounted) unmount if (disk is unmounted) mount Post 302503797 by hollister on Friday 11th of March 2011 05:20:01 PM
Old 03-11-2011
Question if (disk is mounted) unmount if (disk is unmounted) mount

Hey there, sorry if this is a bit too much of a noob question, trying to get to grips with a simple bash script - but i have done ZERO bash scripting.

basically having worked out how to mount and unmount disks using:
disktool -m *device* & disktool -e *device*

- and looking at the result of disktool -l
i see that from the results each device has a parameter Mountpoint = '/Volumes/My Disk' if the "My Disk" is mounted - or - Mountpoint = '' if unmounted.

Basically I am looking to write a script that looks to see if a partition on my external disk is mounted or not, if it is mounted - then the disk is unmounted - - and if it is unmounted the disk is mounted.

So this this disk is disk1s2. How do I query the Mountpoint and see what the result is?

Basically :

if (disk1s2.Mountpoint == "") {
disktool -m disk1s2
}

if (disk1s2.Mountpoint == "/Volumes/My Disk") {
disktool -e disk1s2
}

^ is obviously very, very, very wrong for a bash script - but you get the gist.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Unmount and remove all Logical vol.Volume group and physical disk

Hi, Someone please help me with how i can unmount and remove all the files systems from a cluster. This is being shared by two servers that are active_standby. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joeli
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

/usr out of disk space need to unmount/ expand volume /mount

Greetings, I am running HP-UX 10.2 and /usr is out of disk space already. I installed IE 5.0 for UNIX on my machine under /usr and browsed the Internet for a while and presto no more disk space. I have plenty of hard disk space on my computer so would like to expand the size of the volume. The... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dirk_
5 Replies

3. SuSE

External USB disk cannot be mounted

Hi, I am running Suse on a fujitsu server. The problem is that it will no fully load the usb external disk. When plugged in, dmesg shows that indeed a usb disk has been plugged in ,but gives no devpath e.g sda,sdb. lsusb shows the disk vendor (western digital) but nothing else.Whats goin on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ulemsee
2 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

Can't Mount Disk / Image after bad unmount

I have had a little issue with one of my disks, the usb cacble was pulled out and one of the external drives on it would no longer mount. I used First Aid and it verified and repaired both OK / nothing to do). After lots of messing around and not being able to mount I used Drive Genius 2 and that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cranie
1 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

When a disk won't 'Unmount"

hdiutil detach -Force disk&number (ex:hdiutil detach -Force disk1) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: unimachead
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill shell script when host program not running/disk unmounted

I have my Mac OS X program executing a shell script (a script that copies files to a drive). I want to make it so that the shell script automatically kills itself if it finds that the host .app is not running OR kill itself if the drive that it is copying files to has been unmounted. Right now what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcwiz
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unmount USB disk

Hi, How can I unmount an usb disk using the command umount? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Guccio
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to unmount a folder and do check disk only in that path

I need to check if a folder has some kind of logic disk problems. I have a FreeBSD machine where the (root)\tmp\TEST folder has some file created by a script that i cannot delete. If i rename the tmp\TEST folder then i can delete them (apparently) but if i recreate a folder in tmp directory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirrorx
2 Replies

9. Solaris

How to modify a disk with mounted partitions?

Hi Guys, I was wondering; can a disk with mounted partitions be modified? If yes, how can this be done? Thanks lots (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cjashu
1 Replies

10. AIX

Mounted and unmounted

Hi Guys I'm new here, and I need urgent help. This my first steps to be Aix admin and I have this task -instal Oracle database on Aix machine and create mounting point /u02 of size 100GB for Oracle Standalone database installation. -download and install the following OS patches - IV42025... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: khaled_ly84
5 Replies
voldiskadd(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     voldiskadd(8)

NAME
voldiskadd - Adds one or more disks for use with the Logical Storage Manager SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/voldiskadd disk-address-list DESCRIPTION
The voldiskadd utility sets up new disks that are added to the system after the initial system installation and configures the disks for use by the Logical Storage Manager. A valid disk label must exist on the disk before using the voldiskadd utility. One or more disks may be specified using a disk-address-list. Disk addresses in the list have the form dskn (for the entire disk) or dsknp (for a specific partition). When specifying multiple disks, use a space between entries. Disk address names relate directly to device names in the /dev/disk directory. For example, here are some valid voldiskadd disk-address-list specifications: # voldiskadd dsk1 # voldiskadd dsk2 dsk3a The file, /etc/vol/disks.exclude, may be used to exclude disks from use by voldiskadd. Each line of the file specifies the name of a disk to exclude (for example, dsk5). The voldiskadd utility prompts the user for a disk group name and disk media name for the disks. If a new disk group name is specified, that disk group is created for the new disks. If no disk group name is specified, the disks are left as unassigned replacement disks for future use. If an existing disk group name is specified, the user is prompted for whether the disks should be designated as spares for the disk group. If a disk is found to already contain non-Logical Storage Manager partitioning, the user is asked whether the disk should be encapsulated. Encapsulation turns each partition of the disk into a volume. A disk should be encapsulated if it contains file systems or data that should not be overwritten. If encapsulation is not desired for a disk, the disk can be initialized as a new disk for use by the Logical Storage Manager. For new disks, all space on the disk becomes free space in the disk's disk group. Context-sensitive help is available at every prompt by typing ?. Also, a list option can be used to get information on available target disks for an operation. The voldiskadd utility supports the following general classes of actions: Initializing a disk with reserved regions and partitions. Disk initialization is performed by calling voldisksetup command. Adding a disk to an existing disk group. This operation can be performed independently of the initialization of the disk drive to add a disk's storage space to a disk group's free space pool. The volassist command may subsequently allocate from that free space. The disk can also be added as a hot spare device. Creating new disk groups in which to import new disks. If no disk group exists for importing disks, the option of creating the disk group is offered. Encapsulating disks that have exist- ing contents. This is the default action for disks that do not have a valid, existing Logical Storage Manager private region, but that do have a disk label. Encapsulation is performed by calling volencap. Reconnecting a drive that was temporarily inaccessible. This situation is detected automatically, by noting that the specified drive has a disk ID that matches a disk media record with no currently associated physical disk. After reconnection, any stale plexes referring the disk are reattached, and any stopped volumes referring the disk are restarted. This reattach action is performed by calling the volrecover script. ERRORS
You may receive the following messages when using the voldiskadd command: Initialization of disk device special-device failed. Error: special-device or an overlapping partition is open. This message indicates that the partition you specified or an overlapping partition on the disk is actively in use. The partition could be a mounted UFS or AdvFS filesystem, initialized as an LSM disk or used as a swap device. special-device is marked in use for fstype in the disklabel. If you continue with the operation you can possibly destroy existing data. Would you like to continue?? [y,n,q,?] (default: n) This message indicates that the fstype of a partition or an overlapping partition is set in the disk label. The voldiskadd command prints this message to warn that a disk partition may have valid data which could be destroyed. If you are sure that the disk partition does not have valid data and that the partition can be added to LSM, you can ignore the warning message by entering y at the prompt. The voldiskadd command will proceed to initialize the disk partition and add it to LSM. FILES
A list of disks to exclude from use by voldiskadd. SEE ALSO
disklabel(8), volassist(8), voldisk(8), voldiskadm(8), voldisksetup(8), voldg(8), volintro(8) voldiskadd(8)