Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing all lines prior to the last pattern in a file/stream Post 302503785 by mirni on Friday 11th of March 2011 04:30:50 PM
Old 03-11-2011
My solution would be to scan the output twice -- so that I can identify which pattern is the last one. Something like this:
Code:
lastOccur=`sed -n '/pattern/=' output | tail -1` #will output line numbers matching pattern
sed -n "$lastOccur,$ p" output

---------- Post updated at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:27 AM ----------

Ahhh... 'tac' ... nice one. Then you can do:

Code:
tac output | sed  "/pattern/,$ d" | tac

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search file for pattern and grab some lines before pattern

I want to search a file for a string and then if the string is found I need the line that the string is on - but also the previous two lines from the file (that the pattern will not be found in) This is on solaris Can you help? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing pattern which is spread in multiple lines

I have several huge files wich contains oracle table creation scripts as follows: I would need to remove the pattern colored in red above. Any sed/awk/pearl code will be of much help. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabyasm
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing duplicates of a pattern from a file

hey all, I need some help. I have a text file with names in it. My target is that if a particular pattern exists in that file more than once..then i want to rename all the occurences of that pattern by alternate patterns.. for e.g if i have PATTERN occuring 5 times then i want to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashisharora
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get lines prior to the line being searched

Hi, Can anbody please let me know how i can retrieve lines above the line being searched in a file. I am looking for an error message from a file, if I see that message I want the lines above that message along with this line. how do we do this. Please do let me know An example which i have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunrao_oradba
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines prior to a specific date in a log file.

Hi all. I have a database log file in which log data get appended to it daily. I want to do a automatic maintainence of this log by going through the log and deleting lines belonging to a certain date. How should i do it? Please help. Thanks. Example. To delete all lines prior to Jun... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern match in live stream

hi! i have a situation like this where i have to analyse the live log generated from /bin/scp -v you@example.com is if a pattern like say "Too many connections" comes i shud be able to identify it . (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpsnook
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing lines around a matched pattern

I have an ugly conf file that has the string I'm interested in searching for in the middle of a block of code that's relevant, and I'm trying to find a way to remove that entire block based on the matched line. I've googled for this problem, and most people helping are only interested in... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamale
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines from a stream after matching a pattern

Hi, I have a requirement to to an ldapsearch and remove the shadow attributes in the output file. What I do is ldapsearch() | operation to remove shadow > FILE The ldapsearch gives output like this(with same line formation): objectClass: FSConfig objectClass: extensibleObject fsCAIP:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lorzinian
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing PATTERN from txt without removing lines and general text formatting

Hi Everybody! First post! Totally noobie. I'm using the terminal to read a poorly formatted book. The text file contains, in the middle of paragraphs, hyphenation to split words that are supposed to be on multiple pages. It looks ve -- ry much like this. I was hoping to use grep -v " -- "... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AxeHandle
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing multiple lines from input file, if multiple lines match a pattern.

GM, I have an issue at work, which requires a simple solution. But, after multiple attempts, I have not been able to hit on the code needed. I am assuming that sed, awk or even perl could do what I need. I have an application that adds extra blank page feeds, for multiple reports, when... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxfish2
7 Replies
GLLINESTIPPLE(3G)														 GLLINESTIPPLE(3G)

NAME
glLineStipple - specify the line stipple pattern C SPECIFICATION
void glLineStipple( GLint factor, GLushort pattern ) delim $$ PARAMETERS
factor Specifies a multiplier for each bit in the line stipple pattern. If factor is 3, for example, each bit in the pattern is used three times before the next bit in the pattern is used. factor is clamped to the range [1, 256] and defaults to 1. pattern Specifies a 16-bit integer whose bit pattern determines which fragments of a line will be drawn when the line is rasterized. Bit zero is used first; the default pattern is all 1's. DESCRIPTION
Line stippling masks out certain fragments produced by rasterization; those fragments will not be drawn. The masking is achieved by using three parameters: the 16-bit line stipple pattern pattern, the repeat count factor, and an integer stipple counter $s$. Counter $s$ is reset to 0 whenever glBegin is called, and before each line segment of a glBegin(GL_LINES)/glEnd sequence is generated. It is incremented after each fragment of a unit width aliased line segment is generated, or after each $i$ fragments of an $i$ width line seg- ment are generated. The $i$ fragments associated with count $s$ are masked out if pattern bit $(s ~/~ "factor") ~roman mod~ 16$ is 0, otherwise these fragments are sent to the frame buffer. Bit zero of pattern is the least significant bit. Antialiased lines are treated as a sequence of $1 times width$ rectangles for purposes of stippling. Whether rectangle $s$ is rasterized or not depends on the fragment rule described for aliased lines, counting rectangles rather than groups of fragments. To enable and disable line stippling, call glEnable and glDisable with argument GL_LINE_STIPPLE. When enabled, the line stipple pattern is applied as described above. When disabled, it is as if the pattern were all 1's. Initially, line stippling is disabled. ERRORS
GL_INVALID_OPERATION is generated if glLineStipple is executed between the execution of glBegin and the corresponding execution of glEnd. ASSOCIATED GETS
glGet with argument GL_LINE_STIPPLE_PATTERN glGet with argument GL_LINE_STIPPLE_REPEAT glIsEnabled with argument GL_LINE_STIPPLE SEE ALSO
glLineWidth(3G), glPolygonStipple(3G) GLLINESTIPPLE(3G)