Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how to check memory usage ?
Operating Systems Linux how to check memory usage ? Post 302503673 by truecall on Friday 11th of March 2011 09:35:57 AM
Old 03-11-2011
Kind of common with VPS's that run OpenVZ. I believe Virtuozzo uses OpenVZ or something similiar.

I would submit a ticket to your provider letting them see your output from TOP. Let them know that it does not appear that you are using much memory.

Then cat your user_beancounters and include that. I would assume that you are exceeding something there.

Make sure you include this info to them.

Code:
cat /proc/user_beancounters

Code:
free

Code:
ps aux | awk '{sum +=$4}; END {print sum}'

Last edited by truecall; 03-11-2011 at 10:52 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Monitor CPU usage and Memory Usage

how can i monitor usages of CPU, Memory, Hard disk etc. under SUN Solaries through a c program or java program i want to store that data into database so i can show it graphically thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gajanad Bihani
2 Replies

2. Programming

how to use ioctl to check out memory usage

Hi all, I tried to output memory usage information while the process is executing at a particular time. I found out some people suggesting calling the ioctl. I followed it and wrote a test example: #include <unistd.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <iostream.h> #include <fcntl.h> #include... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lanchen
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

4. Solaris

current CPU usage, memory usage, disk I/O oid(snmp)

Hi, I want to monitor the current cpu usage, monitor usage , disk I/o and network utlization for solaris using SNMP. I want the oids for above tasks. can you please tell me that Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: S_venkatesh
2 Replies

5. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to display the space usage (memory usage) of a specific directory.

Hi all, Can you please tell me the command, with which one can know the amount of space a specific directory has used. df -k . ---> Displays, the amount of space allocated, and used for a directory. du -k <dir name> - gives me the memory used of all the files inside <dir> But i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhisheksunkari
2 Replies

7. AIX

Script to check the memory usage in AIX

Hello Everyone, I'm looking for a efficient script that monitors the memory usage on AIX and send email alerts when it reaches certain point. Q) need to get alerts, when the memory usage exceed 90% on AIX? or Q) Need to get alerts when available free Memory is 1G or 10% etc Any idea... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Memory usage per user,percent usage,sytem time in ksh

Let's say i have 20 users logged on Server. How can I know how much memory percent used each of them is using with system time in each user? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roy1912
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Memory Usage check

Hello Friends, I need to check memory usage & availability before I could run a program if there is enough memory is left or not, so how could i achieve this? Which command output i should rely on? I have diplayed outputs of SAR, VMstat and PRstat commands below, But how could i check memory... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I check actual memory usage each Process?

I can't check actual memory usage in the Redhat 5.5... The used memory is 14214 Mb of Total 15919 by Free -m command. I sum the RSS value on PS aux command result and the value is 5428.66Mb. Yes It's quite different actual usage memory and RSS value. So I added Shared memory value... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tom8254
5 Replies
rtcwake(8)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							rtcwake(8)

NAME
rtcwake - enter a system sleep state until specified wakeup time SYNOPSIS
rtcwake [-hvVlua] [-d device] [-m standby_mode] {-t time_t|-s seconds} DESCRIPTION
This program is used to enter a system sleep state until specified wakeup time. This uses cross-platform Linux interfaces to enter a system sleep state, and leave it no later than a specified time. It uses any RTC framework driver that supports standard driver model wakeup flags. This is normally used like the old apmsleep utility, to wake from a suspend state like ACPI S1 (standby) or S3 (suspend-to-RAM). Most platforms can implement those without analogues of BIOS, APM, or ACPI. On some systems, this can also be used like nvram-wakeup, waking from states like ACPI S4 (suspend to disk). Not all systems have persis- tent media that are appropriate for such suspend modes. Options -v | --verbose Be verbose. -h | --help Display a short help message that shows how to use the program. -V | --version Displays version information and exists. -a | --auto Reads the clock mode (whether the hardware clock is set to UTC or local time) from /etc/adjtime. That's the location where the hwclock(8) stores that information. -l | --local Assumes that the hardware clock is set to local time, regardless of the contents of /etc/adjtime. -u | --utc Assumes that the hardware clock is set to UTC (Universal Time Coordinated), regardless of the contents of /etc/adjtime. -d device | --device device Uses device instead of rtc0 as realtime clock. This option is only relevant if your system has more than one RTC. You may specify rtc1, rtc2, ... here. -s seconds | --seconds seconds Sets the wakeup time to seconds in future from now. -t time_t | --time time_t Sets the wakeup time to the absolute time time_t. time_t is the time in seconds since 1970-01-01, 00:00 UTC. Use the date(1) tool to convert between human-readable time and time_t. -m mode | --mode mode Use standby state mode. Valid values are: standby ACPI state S1. This state offers minimal, though real, power savings, while providing a very low-latency transition back to a working system. This is the default mode. mem ACPI state S3 (Suspend-to-RAM). This state offers significant power savings as everything in the system is put into a low- power state, except for memory, which is placed in self-refresh mode to retain its contents. disk ACPI state S4 (Suspend-to-disk). This state offers the greatest power savings, and can be used even in the absence of low- level platform support for power management. This state operates similarly to Suspend-to-RAM, but includes a final step of writing memory contents to disk. off ACPI state S5 (Poweroff). This is done by calling '/sbin/shutdown'. Not officially supported by ACPI, but usually working. no Don't suspend. The rtcwake command sets RTC wakeup time only. on Don't suspend, but read RTC device until alarm time appears. This mode is useful for debugging. NOTES
Some PC systems can't currently exit sleep states such as mem using only the kernel code accessed by this driver. They need help from userspace code to make the framebuffer work again. HISTORY
The program was posted several times on LKML and other lists before appearing in kernel commit message for Linux 2.6 in the GIT commit 87ac84f42a7a580d0dd72ae31d6a5eb4bfe04c6d. AVAILABILITY
The rtcwake command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. AUTHOR
The program was written by David Brownell <dbrownell@users.sourceforge.net> and improved by Bernhard Walle <bwalle@suse.de>. COPYRIGHT
This is free software. You may redistribute copies of it under the terms of the GNU General Public License <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
hwclock(8), date(1) 2007-07-13 rtcwake(8)