Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting need help on manipulating a file Post 302503628 by divak on Friday 11th of March 2011 06:56:03 AM
Old 03-11-2011
Bug need help on manipulating a file

Hi,

I need a shell/command to achieve this task.

I've a delimited unloaded file from oracle in a scrambled format as shown below with many blank lines in it, I'm just trying to tailor it in a format that would be compatible to view and load it to a IDS db.

Here is the problem

Infile-

asd,sdfgsdf,,
<blank line 1>
fgsdfg, , , ,asfa,
<blank line 2>
<blank line 3>
sdfd,sdfd, ,
asd,asdd,
asdf, , , ,dsfd,
afdd,dsd

blank line 1 - potential data
blank line 2 - potential data
blank line 3 - record seperator

In the above ex, blank line1,2 is not a record seperator but it has a NULL data which is identified in the ASCII format. I'm trying to make the file into each data record in a single row as below, replacing the non-viewable data fields into some string (*$& here)

Output-
asd,sdfgsdf,, *$&,*$& ,fgsdfg, , , ,asfa, *$&
sdfd,sdfd, ,asd,asdd,asdf, , , ,dsfd,afdd,dsd

Please note that each blank line can have one or more fields in it

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Manipulating output file

I have a file containing two fields, Name and Time, with about 57 lines in this file. I am struggling to create a loop that will cut out the first ten lines of this file and echo it to the screen. Can anybody help me please. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mariner
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulating a text file

hey guys, need ur expert help. m a core banker got stuck in someting techie and cant find a solution have manged to extract a file from oracle apps in a format that looks something like this... REC- A b c d x INV- A b... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: komalkg
6 Replies

3. Solaris

Manipulating File

Help...please. I have a log that contains Warning Authentication Failed: User GHDT88998HS doesn't exit: The User GHDT88998HS could not be found Mar 22, 2008 5:22:22AM com.hometel.ttm.auth.userlogin. about maybe a thousand entries failed user acct message How can I grab just the username... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rivendell500
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help!! manipulating file

Hi all, I need help manipulating the file below. Here is what I needed to do. First, I have to replace INSUPD to DELETE. Then I need to change the content of the file around by flipping the contents in the file from the bottom to the top (start from "CMD") How should I attack this? Here... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirrtuan
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing a file and manipulating the contents

Hi I have a text file as follows BOB 14/14 TOM 94/94 SAM 3/3 CRIS 13/13 TOM 6/6 CRIS 27/27 SAM 2/2 JACK 25/25 CRIS (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellignorant
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulating the etc/passwd file with sed

How can i use sed to extract the user name and home directory from the /etc/passwd/ file on my server. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pauline mugisha
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulating a file

Hi everybody, I need an urgent help with a BASH script. I have file which contains (besides the other data) the lines with the following structure identified by with keyword PCList: <PARAMETER NAME="PCList" TYPE="LIST_STRUCTURE" MODEL="{,}" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sameucho
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Manipulating Large Csv File

Hello everyone, I am trying to manipulate a large .csv file where I have output similar to the following - http://imgur.com/TEXD8.png The result that I am looking for would be to consolidate the first column, but combine the second and third column so it still relates to the first. I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: xxwohxx
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulating csv file

We need to convert a field in a csv file which is in cents to dollars.(divide by 100) in our shell script. Can some body help me? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepthz
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulating column in a file in UNIX

Hi I have a file content.txt where I want to replace the value of second column of the file with half of the value of that column. I only have to replace if the second column starts with COM_, rest all values have to be same eg, cat content.txt |COM_A|123|JHV|8475 |ABC|2765|BV|876... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
7 Replies
platform::shell(n)					       Tcl Bundled Packages						platform::shell(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform::shell - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform::shell ?1.1.4? platform::shell::generic shell platform::shell::identify shell platform::shell::platform shell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform::shell package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell. This package allows the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell different from the shell running the package. The only requirement is that the other shell (identified by its path), is actually executable on the current machine. While for most platform this means that the architecture of the interrogated shell is identical to the architecture of the running shell this is not generally true. A counter example are all platforms which have 32 and 64 bit variants and where a 64bit system is able to run 32bit code. For these running and interrogated shell may have different 32/64 bit settings and thus different identifiers. For applications like a code repository it is important to identify the architecture of the shell which will actually run the installed packages, versus the architecture of the shell running the repository software. COMMANDS
platform::shell::identify shell This command does the same identification as platform::identify, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::generic shell This command does the same identification as platform::generic, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::platform shell This command returns the contents of tcl_platform(platform) for the specified Tcl shell. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform::shell 1.1.4 platform::shell(n)