Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting echo multiple variable with calculation Post 302503598 by homeboy on Friday 11th of March 2011 03:25:10 AM
Old 03-11-2011
No,it not a function,have you ever learned C?like the while statement.However,the {} is a un-named code blocks here.It just reunion some codes into a space(a local space).One important usage is to redirect it's I/O like here.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display from a variable using echo.

I have a variable that is outputting a lot of space. here has been 45 lines returned ... how can I remove the spaces between the "been and the 45" CODE: fil_len=`wc -l < coshb.txt` if ; then cat coshb.txt | more echo " " echo "There has been ${fil_len} lines... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagannatha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo variable problem

hi I have say five variable. I would ask the user which one they want me to print and then print accordingly. TEST_1='10.2.3.4' TEST_2='11.2.3.5' TEST_3='12.2.3.5' TEST_4='13.2.3.5' TEST_5='14.2.3.5' print_var() { echo "Accessing var num $1" echo TEST$1 #??? But How do... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabina
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

assigning variable value using echo

I am modifying an existing script and it has the following line: export SomeEnvVar=`echo ${SomeLocalVar}` Why wouldn't it just read: export SomeEnvVar=${SomeLocalVar} Is there some reason to use echo instead of a direct assignment? :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellburger
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo multiple lines

I have a code: echo "First Line ^M Second Line" | mail -s "Lines" abc@gmail.com Basically, I want to send an email with text in this format: First Line Second Line But there is something wrong with my 'echo'. The ^M is not interpreted as carriage return. Please help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: laiko
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculation in Multiple files using awk

Hi All, I have some 10 files named samp1.csv, samp2.csv,... samp10.csv Each file having the same number of fields like, Count, field1, field2, field3. And a source.csv file which has three fields field1, field2, field3. Now, i want to find the total count by taking the field1,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnwilliams.sp
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in echo value after some calculation

val=21 total=3250 echo "`echo "scale=2; $val*100/$total" | bc`" Output: .64 How do i show the output become "0.64" instead of ".64" ?? Someone can help? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alvin0618
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to assign echo in variable

I've testing the following code: echo test.txt | cut -d . -f1and get the output "text" So why can't i assign the command to a variable? VAR='"echo test.txt | cut -d . -f1"' echo $VAR (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jl487
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo the NAME of the variable

#!/bin/bash varA="AAA1" varB="BBB2" varC="CCC3" for proccx in $varA $varB $varC do echo "the current name is ????? , the value is $proccx" echo " " done #end of script I want the output to look something like this: the current name is varA, the value is AAA1 the current name is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic calculation in variable

Hi, I am trying to do an addition to a value stored in a variable... var1=`grep -n "match" sample.txt|cut -d : -f1` var2=`echo $var1|cut -d " " -f1` (Here i want add +1 to the output value) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin Tivoli
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple Column Calculation

Hallo Team, I need you you help. I need to sum up all the columns in a .csv file. Lets call the file file1.csv and it looks like below: $ cat file1.csv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
2 Replies
space(4)							   File Formats 							  space(4)

NAME
space - disk space requirement file DESCRIPTION
space is an ASCII file that gives information about disk space requirements for the target environment. The space file defines space needed beyond what is used by objects defined in the prototype(4) file; for example, files which will be installed with the installf(1M) command. The space file should define the maximum amount of additional space that a package will require. The generic format of a line in this file is: pathname blocks inodes Definitions for the fields are as follows: pathname Specify a directory name which may or may not be the mount point for a filesystem. Names that do not begin with a slash ('/') indicate relocatable directories. blocks Define the number of disk blocks required for installation of the files and directory entries contained in the pathname (using a 512-byte block size). inodes Define the number of inodes required for installation of the files and directory entries contained in the pathname. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample file. # extra space required by config data which is # dynamically loaded onto the system data 500 1 SEE ALSO
installf(1M), prototype(4) Application Packaging Developer's Guide SunOS 5.10 7 Feb 1997 space(4)