Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting deleting files in sub directories! Post 302503071 by alister on Wednesday 9th of March 2011 03:32:46 PM
Old 03-09-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhernu
find . -name "*.pdf" -mtime +30 | xargs -I {} rm -f {} \;
In that particular case, piping to xargs is pointless. You gain nothing. Simply use find's -exec primary as in the original post.

Regards,
Alister
This User Gave Thanks to alister For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting log files only in particular directories

Hi My problem is i have to remove some log files in specific named directories on a regular basis using shell scripts. What i want my shell script to do is i give the shell script some listing of directories from which to delete all log files recursively. Can anyone please help me. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameervs
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting nfs directories...

Hi I have Solaris 8 in several Ultras and they share some directories between each others using nfs. (you know, one shares the other mounts the remote directory into a local...). The problem is that one guy (me) deleted a shared directory and now the computer that was mounting it remotely is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: piltrafa
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Recursively deleting directories

Say I have a directory call test, and several directories nested in it, and several directories nested in them. And I want to remove all directories within "test" and its subdirectories that have the name "cvs", how can I do this? I tried rm -r cvs, but that only removed the top level direcotry... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikeshank
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What/How to check before deleting files and directories

Hi there, I have a some directories containing web files that are old, and I need to remove them. I know that there might be sym links and hyperlinks pointing to these old directories. If that's the case, then I'll have to fix the links before deleting these old directories to avoid broken... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yvochan
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting all the sub directories

hello., i am creating a certain sub directories as apart of my requirement, and then later on i have to delete all those sub directories.. ____________________________________________________ DIR1="/home/pavi/cvs/20071426/TEMP" echo " DIR1 is : " $DESTDIR1 echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pavan_test
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting older directories

how can we delete directories older than 6 months (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnat
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting all empty files in sub directories with a command

Hello Friends, Im trying to delete empty files in subdirectories with a command. I can find them checking only one directory in each step and then show them with my command like below moreover i could not add removing part: ls -l */* | awk '{if ($5==0) printf "%3s %2d %s... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting directories

I want to delete directories which are empty and directories which are 2 level deep. example: /app/data/logs/G07696115/G07696115 So if a same directory is there inside G07696115 with the same name G07696115, i want to find and delete that alone(Make sure you do not touch directory any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gtm004
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting all files recursively from directories while ignoring one file type

Hi, Seems like I need help again with a problem: I want to delete all files from my lets say "Music" Directory inkluding all of the subfolders except for .mp3 and .MP3 files. I tried it with globalignoring mp3 files, finding and deleting all other files, which resulted in all files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for deleting files and directories when the file system reaches the threshold

Hi Can someone assist in writing a script. I have a filesystem named /sybase in my aix lpar. When this filesystem becomes 94% full all the files and directories under /sybase/logs should be deleted immediately. :confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
7 Replies
SYSTEMD-TMPFILES(8)						 systemd-tmpfiles					       SYSTEMD-TMPFILES(8)

NAME
systemd-tmpfiles, systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service, systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service, systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service, systemd-tmpfiles- clean.timer - Creates, deletes and cleans up volatile and temporary files and directories SYNOPSIS
systemd-tmpfiles [OPTIONS...] [CONFIGFILE...] systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service systemd-tmpfiles-clean.timer DESCRIPTION
systemd-tmpfiles creates, deletes, and cleans up volatile and temporary files and directories, based on the configuration file format and location specified in tmpfiles.d(5). If invoked with no arguments, it applies all directives from all configuration files. If one or more filenames are passed on the command line, only the directives in these files are applied. If only the basename of a configuration file is specified, all configuration directories as specified in tmpfiles.d(5) are searched for a matching file. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: --create If this option is passed, all files and directories marked with f, F, w, d, D, p, L, c, b, m in the configuration files are created or written to. Files and directories marked with z, Z, m have their ownership, access mode and security labels set. --clean If this option is passed, all files and directories with an age parameter configured will be cleaned up. --remove If this option is passed, all files and directories marked with r, R in the configuration files are removed. --boot Also execute lines with an exclamation mark. --prefix=PATH Only apply rules that apply to paths with the specified prefix. This option can be specified multiple times. --exclude-prefix=PATH Ignore rules that apply to paths with the specified prefix. This option can be specified multiple times. --help Prints a short help text and exits. It is possible to combine --create, --clean, and --remove in one invocation. For example, during boot the following command line is executed to ensure that all temporary and volatile directories are removed and created according to the configuration file: systemd-tmpfiles --remove --create EXIT STATUS
On success, 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), tmpfiles.d(5) systemd 208 SYSTEMD-TMPFILES(8)