Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how the typeset command works in shell script Post 302502937 by quirkasaurus on Wednesday 9th of March 2011 09:31:54 AM
Old 03-09-2011
typeset -l section
is creating a variable that will be forced lower case.
Check by typing:
Code:
typeset -l section
section=LSKDHFLKSDHF
echo $section

section=${2:-.}

Means, assign section variable the value of the 2nd command line argument.
If that argument is not set, then set the value of section to a dot.
This User Gave Thanks to quirkasaurus For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

substring command works but only in BASH shell

I am having trouble running a .sh file. The code 'x=${file_name:0:$z-11}' is giving me a bad substitution error. However when I run in BASH it works. Thing is when this goes to production the .sh will not be running in BASH. Is there a way to substring a string not in BASH or a way to invoke... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: edwardtk11
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep, awk, typeset in a shell script..

For e.g I have a file named "relation" which has three coloums i.e JOHN MARY JACK PETE ALISIA JONNY TONY JACKIE VICTOR If I do grep -w 'JOHN' relation | awk '{print""$1" is husband of "$2" & father of "$3""}' It gives out JOHN i husband of MARY & father of JACK (which is desired... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nick_25
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Works in shell but not script UNIX

ok i have a very simple UNIX script #!/bin/bash TERM=ansi;export TERM PFCMARK=25;export PFCMARK umask 0000 PFUMASK=000;export PFUMASK #run for filepro menus and exectuables echo "###########File Modification Log.############\r" > "/public/appl-fp$(date +%m-%d-%Y).txt" find /appl/fp/... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dunpealslyr
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Works on command line but not in script

Hey guys. Hopefully this is an easy one but having reference similar problems on the web I still can't fix it. I am doing a recursive find and replace from a script. Of course I could just run the damn thing from the command line but it's bugging me now and want to get it working. grep -rl... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anthonyjstewart
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with shell script: cp command not working, but mv command works...

Hello. I would like to ask your help regarding the cp command. We are using a cp command to create a back-up copy of our file but to no avail. It's just not working. We already checked the file and directory permissions and all seems correct. We have a script (ftp.script) which calls on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: udelalv
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SH script, variable built command fails, but works at command line

I am working with a sh script on a solaris 9 zone (sol 10 host) that grabs information to build the configuration command line. the variables Build64, SSLopt, CONFIGopt, and CC are populated in the script. the script includes CC=`which gcc` CONFIGopt=' --prefix=/ --exec-prefix=/usr... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: oly_r
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: Command works in terminal, but not in shell script

Hi, the following command works in the terminal no problem. samtools view -h rawlib.bam | perl -ne '{ @line = split( /\s+/ ); $match = 0; while( $line =~ /(\d+)M/g ) { $match = $match + $1 } if( $match >= 80 || $_ =~ /^\@/ ) { print $_ } }' | java -Xmx12G -jar... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdilts
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script not working but command works in command prompt

Hi everyone I have a problem with my script If I try directly this command /usr/bin/nice -n 19 mysqldump -u root --password="******" wiki_schneider -c | nice -n 19 gzip -9 > /point_de_montage/$(date '+%Y%m%d')-wiki-db.sql.gz It works But if I simply add this command in a script and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: picemma
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script works fine as a standalone script but not as part of a bigger script

Hello all, I am facing a weird issue while executing a code below - #!/bin/bash cd /wload/baot/home/baotasa0/sandboxes_finance/ext_ukba_bde/pset sh UKBA_publish.sh UKBA 28082015 3 if then echo "Param file conversion for all the areas are completed, please check in your home directory"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string works on command-line but fails when run from shell script

I wish to replace "\\n" with a single white space. The below does the job on command-line: $ echo '/fin/app/scripts\\n/fin/app/01/sql' | sed -e 's#\\\\n# #g'; /fin/app/scripts /fin/app/01/sql However, when i have the same code to a shell script it is not able to get me the same output:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
8 Replies
MAKESH(1)						      General Commands Manual							 MAKESH(1)

NAME
makeSH - a .SH script maker SYNOPSIS
makeSH files DESCRIPTION
MakeSH examines one or more scripts and produces a .SH file that, when run under sh, will produce the original script. The .SH script so produced has two sections containing code destined for the output. The first section has variable substitutions performed on it (taking values from config.sh), while the second section does not. MakeSH does not know which variables you want to have substituted, so it puts the whole script into the second section. It's up to you to insert any variable substitutions in the first section for any values you want from config.sh. You should run makeSH from within your top-level directory and use the relative path to the file as an argument, so that the "Extracting ..." line printed while running the produced .SH file later on will give that same path. AUTHOR
Larry Wall <lwall@netlabs.com> SEE ALSO
pat(1), metaconfig(1), makedist(1). BUGS
It could assume that variables from metaconfig's Glossary need to be initialized in the first section, but I'm too lazy to make it do that. LOCAL MAKESH(1)