Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing multiple lines but not the next attribute Post 302502754 by LCol on Tuesday 8th of March 2011 09:30:41 PM
Old 03-08-2011
Removing multiple lines but not the next attribute

I'm hitting a brick wall, I have huge ldif files that I'm trying to sanitize and can do it all with SED except one thing.

I have a publicKey attribute in binary that can be one line or multiple lines.
I'm trying to remove publicKey: and stop at sn (the next attribute). Even with word Wrap turned of it can span multiple lines.

I can figure out how to remove them both but not just the one when it is on multiple lines (2 to 4 lines).

I don't know if I explained it well enough, please let me know.

publickey:ahdkhafdhfasdahfdhhasdfdsfadfdaybutbsfdfklajdakjdafndnfkd;nfaksnaklsnfnfakfsldnan
sn:keepthisattribute

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing pattern which is spread in multiple lines

I have several huge files wich contains oracle table creation scripts as follows: I would need to remove the pattern colored in red above. Any sed/awk/pearl code will be of much help. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabyasm
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing end of line to merge multiple lines

I'm sure this will be an easy question for you experts out there, but I have been searching the forum and working on this for a couple hours now and can't get it right. I have a very messy data file that I am trying to tidy up - one of the issues is some records are split into multiple lines: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tink
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing multiple lines of text in a file

Hi, I'm trying to remove multiple lines of text based off a series of different words and output it to a new file The document contains a ton of data but i want to delete any line that has the following mx1.rr.biz.com or ns2.ri.biz.com i tried using grep -v filename "mx1.rr.biz.com" >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spartan22
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: removing blank lines from multiple files

Hi Guru's , I have a whole bunch of files in /var/tmp that i need to strip any blank lines from, so ive written the following script to identify the lines (which works perfectly).. but i wanted to know, how can I actually strip the identified lines from the actual source files ?? my... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Multiple lines below a keyword using SED?

I have 9,000 + html files. I am using the following to remove the content from a certain line up for i in `ls` do sed '1,569d' $i > $i.bak done This will remove the unwanted formatting keeping the content I need which changes in each HTML file. the problem I have now is that the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaconf19
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing Lines Shared by Multiple Files

Hey everyone, I have a question about comparing two files. I have two lists of files. The first list, todo.csv, lists a series of compounds my supervisor wants me to perform calculations on. The second list, done.csv, lists a series of compounds that I have already performed calculations on.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stuart Ness
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing carriage return/line feeds on multiple lines

I would like to remove carriage returns/line feeds in a text file, but in a specific cadence: Read first line (Header Line 1), remove cr/lf at the end (replace it with a space ideally); Read the next line (Line of Text 2), leave the cr/lf intact; Read the next line, remove the cr/lf; Read... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomr2012
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing multiple lines from input file, if multiple lines match a pattern.

GM, I have an issue at work, which requires a simple solution. But, after multiple attempts, I have not been able to hit on the code needed. I am assuming that sed, awk or even perl could do what I need. I have an application that adds extra blank page feeds, for multiple reports, when... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxfish2
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing carriage returns from multiple lines in multiple files of different number of columns

Hello Gurus, I have a multiple pipe separated files which have records going over multiple Lines. End of line separator is \n and records going over multiple lines have <CR> as separator. below is example from one file. 1|ABC DEF|100|10 2|PQ RS T|200|20 3| UVWXYZ|300|30 4| GHIJKL|400|40... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dJHa
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting text on multiple lines, then removing a beginning and end patterns

I have a file similar to the below. I am selecting only the paragraphs with @inlineifset. I am using the following command sed '/@inlineifset/,/^ *$/!d; s/@inlineifset{mrg, @btpar{@//' $flnm >> $ofln This produces @section Correlations between seismograms,,,,}} ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danette
5 Replies
Text::Wrap(3pm) 					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					   Text::Wrap(3pm)

NAME
Text::Wrap - line wrapping to form simple paragraphs SYNOPSIS
Example 1 use Text::Wrap $initial_tab = " "; # Tab before first line $subsequent_tab = ""; # All other lines flush left print wrap($initial_tab, $subsequent_tab, @text); print fill($initial_tab, $subsequent_tab, @text); @lines = wrap($initial_tab, $subsequent_tab, @text); @paragraphs = fill($initial_tab, $subsequent_tab, @text); Example 2 use Text::Wrap qw(wrap $columns $huge); $columns = 132; # Wrap at 132 characters $huge = 'die'; $huge = 'wrap'; $huge = 'overflow'; Example 3 use Text::Wrap $Text::Wrap::columns = 72; print wrap('', '', @text); DESCRIPTION
"Text::Wrap::wrap()" is a very simple paragraph formatter. It formats a single paragraph at a time by breaking lines at word boundries. Indentation is controlled for the first line ($initial_tab) and all subsequent lines ($subsequent_tab) independently. Please note: $ini- tial_tab and $subsequent_tab are the literal strings that will be used: it is unlikley you would want to pass in a number. Text::Wrap::fill() is a simple multi-paragraph formatter. It formats each paragraph separately and then joins them together when it's done. It will destory any whitespace in the original text. It breaks text into paragraphs by looking for whitespace after a newline. In other respects it acts like wrap(). OVERRIDES
"Text::Wrap::wrap()" has a number of variables that control its behavior. Because other modules might be using "Text::Wrap::wrap()" it is suggested that you leave these variables alone! If you can't do that, then use "local($Text::Wrap::VARIABLE) = YOURVALUE" when you change the values so that the original value is restored. This "local()" trick will not work if you import the variable into your own namespace. Lines are wrapped at $Text::Wrap::columns columns. $Text::Wrap::columns should be set to the full width of your output device. In fact, every resulting line will have length of no more than "$columns - 1". It is possible to control which characters terminate words by modifying $Text::Wrap::break. Set this to a string such as '[s:]' (to break before spaces or colons) or a pre-compiled regexp such as "qr/[s']/" (to break before spaces or apostrophes). The default is simply 's'; that is, words are terminated by spaces. (This means, among other things, that trailing punctuation such as full stops or commas stay with the word they are "attached" to.) Beginner note: In example 2, above $columns is imported into the local namespace, and set locally. In example 3, $Text::Wrap::columns is set in its own namespace without importing it. "Text::Wrap::wrap()" starts its work by expanding all the tabs in its input into spaces. The last thing it does it to turn spaces back into tabs. If you do not want tabs in your results, set $Text::Wrap::unexapand to a false value. Likewise if you do not want to use 8-character tabstops, set $Text::Wrap::tabstop to the number of characters you do want for your tabstops. If you want to separate your lines with something other than " " then set $Text::Wrap::seporator to your preference. When words that are longer than $columns are encountered, they are broken up. "wrap()" adds a " " at column $columns. This behavior can be overridden by setting $huge to 'die' or to 'overflow'. When set to 'die', large words will cause "die()" to be called. When set to 'overflow', large words will be left intact. Historical notes: 'die' used to be the default value of $huge. Now, 'wrap' is the default value. EXAMPLE
print wrap(" ","","This is a bit of text that forms a normal book-style paragraph"); AUTHOR
David Muir Sharnoff <muir@idiom.com> with help from Tim Pierce and many many others. perl v5.8.0 2002-06-01 Text::Wrap(3pm)