Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: I/O redirection
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting I/O redirection Post 302502749 by homeboy on Tuesday 8th of March 2011 08:50:04 PM
Old 03-08-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perderabo
It looks to me that both red and green are closing fd 3. What book are you reading?
I do agree with you,the book named "Advanced Bash-scripting Guide"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
It'd be more accurate to say that grep and ls get separate sets of file descriptors, so they close them individually. The shell forks twice, once to create each of those processes. FD 3 is closed in the forks but not in the original shell itself. Once they return, the exec closes FD 3 in the shell itself. That's what the exec does, changes the original shell's own file descriptors.
Thanks for your reply.What your said is the same as what i thought.We all think that FD 3 is closed in each process while the book said the process which executed the "ls" did NOT closed that.Confused...Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Help with redirection

Here is my problem. I don't know make this redirection thing work. The output file (called output.c) looks like this #include<stdio.h> int main() { int k; int m; print f("%d\n", k); printf("%d\n", m); return 0; } the input file(called input.c) is this #include<stdio.h> int... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shallon1
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirection

Hi, The code below works, it's a part of a bash shell script that serve to search a pattern $pattern_da_cercare in the files contained in a directory $directory_iniziale. Now the proble is: How can I redirect stderr to a file? PS: so I want to redirect ALL the errors to a file. I tryed... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DNAx86
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirection problem

hi all, how to redirect the stdout msg in command line and file at the same time? e.g i got the script named test.sh, content as following: #!/bin/sh echo "111" when i run the script ./test.sh > log.log, it will wirte the "111" into log.log, but how to show the "111" in command line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eric_wong_ch
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Redirection

Hi, I have a Perl script that finds some files based on some criteria and then it processes the file contents using some logic. Extract: print "Started ... "; my $command = "<unix command>"; @arr=`$command`; $size=@arr; print "Size: ".$size If I turn on the Perl debugging option then I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: King Nothing
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Redirection

Hi Guys, I m new to UNIX and new to this forum. Was wondering if someone can help me understand redirection (standard input output pipeline etc) for starters, not too sure what this would mean who | sort > sortedfile | pr | lp im starting to understand common commands but when throwing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmack123
2 Replies

6. Web Development

Apache redirection

Hello I have a domain where i need a redirection as described below : i.e mydomain.com/t-ABC-048796/sample.jpg must redirect to mydomain.com/jjj/top/8796/sample.jpg As you can see from the source URL (mydomain.com/t-ABC-048796/sample.jpg) i need the last four characters... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unimaxlin
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirection question

I want to redirect stderr and have the following peice of code $ cat t1.ksh #!/bin/ksh func2() { diff /tmp/jdlkwjdlkejew /tmp/djlkwejdlewdjew >$OUTPUT_FILE 2>>$ERR_FILE } func1() { let counter=0 while do print -u2 "Error: In main function" func2 let... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirection

Hello All, I am using the below script to gather various tools running by the user, we have more than 100 tools running on the server so my challenge is to redirect memory & cpu load to the file with the name of the tool.so am using the below script i am stucking how to redirect to the file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaincv
2 Replies

9. Solaris

solaris redirection

Hi I am using solaris 10. When running a grep command with multiple files the output is the same as the order of the input. As soon as I pipe the output to another command then it seems that standard error takes precedence, over standard output and gets sent to the pipe first. ie grep -c... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chronics
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

about different redirection

explain the redirections 1>, 2>, 3>, ..... and 1< ,2<,3<..... where we use these things thanks Thread moved from AIX forum (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsurendra
2 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)