Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to make a command same as PICO in linux but with comments Post 302502709 by DGPickett on Tuesday 8th of March 2011 04:36:15 PM
Old 03-08-2011
Well, you can write a wrapper shell script for it named pico, and the wrapper can compose the header. Rename pico to something like pico.original or put the wrapper in a up-$PATH directory from the current pico. I am assuming pic does not have an attitude about its name, examining argv[0].

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi and pico

hello iam so new to unix / apache what is the dif between VI and PICO where can i get hands on training with both in Los Angeles any ideas would be helpfull. thanx whothought (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: whothought
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pico text editor

I was wondering if there is any way to get a version of pico for windows. I have done a lot of programming work on Linux/UNIX exvironments for school, and I enjoy using pico for my programming needs, but I find all of the text editors in windows horrible, they distort my code and do not adhere to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: popac
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

question about pico?

Quick question for all of you Unix gurus. What are your thoughts on Pico as an editor. I have been using this editor for the last week or so and have made a lot of headway with my script writing. However, I find a lot of the quirks associated with this editor to be quite annoying. For instance,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wmosley2
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pico?

Is pico editor not availible on all versions of Unix? I do have vi and emacs, but pico just give me a response of "not found". (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dereckbc
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for updating the comments field on /etc/passwd on redhat linux

Hi there, I have more that 300 servers that I need to updated the comments field on /etc/passwd for users that have a blank comments fields. The users have accounts on different servers. I have created a list of these users on a text file called update_passwd.txt. I need a script that will... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Duke
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pico vs vim

I always used pico as a text editor in Terminal or SSH. But what is the advantages/disadvantages between vim and pico? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: timgolding
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed script, changing all C-comments to C++-comments

I must write a script to change all C++ like comments: // this is a comment to this one /* this is a comment */ How to do it by sed? With file: #include <cstdio> using namespace std; //one // two int main() { printf("Example"); // three }//four the result should be: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_hawk
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with "make" command in Linux

Hi all, I downloaded an external program and extracted all the files to a folder. they have a make file which I have to run. But when I run make file I get an error g++ -O2 -c pgm.cpp make: g++: Command not found make: *** Error 127 When I checked the list of GCC I get this binf-01... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaav06
14 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ed vs pico

Hello! Please, can someone make me clear the difference betveen and interactive and non-interactive test editor? (is not each editor somehow "interactive"???) Many thanks!!! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinklemon
0 Replies
MESG(1) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   MESG(1)

NAME
mesg - display (do not display) messages from other users SYNOPSIS
mesg [n|y] DESCRIPTION
The mesg utility is invoked by a users to control write access others have to the terminal device associated with the standard error out- put. If write access is allowed, then programs such as talk(1) and write(1) may display messages on the terminal. Traditionally, write access is allowed by default. However, as users become more conscious of various security risks, there is a trend to remove write access by default, at least for the primary login shell. To make sure your ttys are set the way you want them to be set, mesg should be executed in your login scripts. Options available: n Disallows messages. y Permits messages to be displayed. If no arguments are given, mesg displays the present message status to the standard error output. The mesg utility exits with one of the following values: 0 Messages are allowed. 1 Messages are not allowed. >1 An error has occurred. FILES
/dev/[pt]ty[pq]? SEE ALSO
biff(1), talk(1), write(1), wall(1), login(1), xterm(1) HISTORY
A mesg command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. AVAILABILITY
The mesg command is part of the util-linux-ng package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux-ng/. Linux 1.2 10 March 1995 MESG(1)