Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: I/O redirection
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting I/O redirection Post 302502676 by Corona688 on Tuesday 8th of March 2011 03:01:30 PM
Old 03-08-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboy
It says that the red part of that code does not close fd 3 but the green does close the fd 3.I can't understand that.....Why?Any predicate will be appreciated.Smilie
It'd be more accurate to say that grep and ls get separate sets of file descriptors, so they close them individually. The shell forks twice, once to create each of those processes. FD 3 is closed in the forks but not in the original shell itself. Once they return, the exec closes FD 3 in the shell itself. That's what the exec does, changes the original shell's own file descriptors.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Help with redirection

Here is my problem. I don't know make this redirection thing work. The output file (called output.c) looks like this #include<stdio.h> int main() { int k; int m; print f("%d\n", k); printf("%d\n", m); return 0; } the input file(called input.c) is this #include<stdio.h> int... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shallon1
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirection

Hi, The code below works, it's a part of a bash shell script that serve to search a pattern $pattern_da_cercare in the files contained in a directory $directory_iniziale. Now the proble is: How can I redirect stderr to a file? PS: so I want to redirect ALL the errors to a file. I tryed... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DNAx86
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirection problem

hi all, how to redirect the stdout msg in command line and file at the same time? e.g i got the script named test.sh, content as following: #!/bin/sh echo "111" when i run the script ./test.sh > log.log, it will wirte the "111" into log.log, but how to show the "111" in command line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eric_wong_ch
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Redirection

Hi, I have a Perl script that finds some files based on some criteria and then it processes the file contents using some logic. Extract: print "Started ... "; my $command = "<unix command>"; @arr=`$command`; $size=@arr; print "Size: ".$size If I turn on the Perl debugging option then I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: King Nothing
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Redirection

Hi Guys, I m new to UNIX and new to this forum. Was wondering if someone can help me understand redirection (standard input output pipeline etc) for starters, not too sure what this would mean who | sort > sortedfile | pr | lp im starting to understand common commands but when throwing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmack123
2 Replies

6. Web Development

Apache redirection

Hello I have a domain where i need a redirection as described below : i.e mydomain.com/t-ABC-048796/sample.jpg must redirect to mydomain.com/jjj/top/8796/sample.jpg As you can see from the source URL (mydomain.com/t-ABC-048796/sample.jpg) i need the last four characters... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unimaxlin
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirection question

I want to redirect stderr and have the following peice of code $ cat t1.ksh #!/bin/ksh func2() { diff /tmp/jdlkwjdlkejew /tmp/djlkwejdlewdjew >$OUTPUT_FILE 2>>$ERR_FILE } func1() { let counter=0 while do print -u2 "Error: In main function" func2 let... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirection

Hello All, I am using the below script to gather various tools running by the user, we have more than 100 tools running on the server so my challenge is to redirect memory & cpu load to the file with the name of the tool.so am using the below script i am stucking how to redirect to the file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaincv
2 Replies

9. Solaris

solaris redirection

Hi I am using solaris 10. When running a grep command with multiple files the output is the same as the order of the input. As soon as I pipe the output to another command then it seems that standard error takes precedence, over standard output and gets sent to the pipe first. ie grep -c... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chronics
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

about different redirection

explain the redirections 1>, 2>, 3>, ..... and 1< ,2<,3<..... where we use these things thanks Thread moved from AIX forum (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsurendra
2 Replies
EXEC(P) 						     POSIX Programmer's Manual							   EXEC(P)

NAME
exec - execute commands and open, close, or copy file descriptors SYNOPSIS
exec [command [argument ...]] DESCRIPTION
The exec utility shall open, close, and/or copy file descriptors as specified by any redirections as part of the command. If exec is specified without command or arguments, and any file descriptors with numbers greater than 2 are opened with associated redi- rection statements, it is unspecified whether those file descriptors remain open when the shell invokes another utility. Scripts concerned that child shells could misuse open file descriptors can always close them explicitly, as shown in one of the following examples. If exec is specified with command, it shall replace the shell with command without creating a new process. If arguments are specified, they shall be arguments to command. Redirection affects the current shell execution environment. OPTIONS
None. OPERANDS
See the DESCRIPTION. STDIN
Not used. INPUT FILES
None. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
None. ASYNCHRONOUS EVENTS
Default. STDOUT
Not used. STDERR
The standard error shall be used only for diagnostic messages. OUTPUT FILES
None. EXTENDED DESCRIPTION
None. EXIT STATUS
If command is specified, exec shall not return to the shell; rather, the exit status of the process shall be the exit status of the program implementing command, which overlaid the shell. If command is not found, the exit status shall be 127. If command is found, but it is not an executable utility, the exit status shall be 126. If a redirection error occurs (see Consequences of Shell Errors ), the shell shall exit with a value in the range 1-125. Otherwise, exec shall return a zero exit status. CONSEQUENCES OF ERRORS
Default. The following sections are informative. APPLICATION USAGE
None. EXAMPLES
Open readfile as file descriptor 3 for reading: exec 3< readfile Open writefile as file descriptor 4 for writing: exec 4> writefile Make file descriptor 5 a copy of file descriptor 0: exec 5<&0 Close file descriptor 3: exec 3<&- Cat the file maggie by replacing the current shell with the cat utility: exec cat maggie RATIONALE
Most historical implementations were not conformant in that: foo=bar exec cmd did not pass foo to cmd. FUTURE DIRECTIONS
None. SEE ALSO
Special Built-In Utilities COPYRIGHT
Portions of this text are reprinted and reproduced in electronic form from IEEE Std 1003.1, 2003 Edition, Standard for Information Technol- ogy -- Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX), The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 6, Copyright (C) 2001-2003 by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc and The Open Group. In the event of any discrepancy between this version and the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard, the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard is the referee document. The original Standard can be obtained online at http://www.opengroup.org/unix/online.html . IEEE
/The Open Group 2003 EXEC(P)